Have Your Say: Wet Weather Sim Racing - Is It Even Necessary?

Of course it should be added to sim racing games. If the car(s) you are trying to simulate races in the rain in real life then it should be in the game! No question.

Remember Geoff Crammond's GP3 and GP4? Oh, the good old days!..lol The tech was finally there for him and he made sure to add it to his baby. Oh what a classic those games were and I think it was one of the first sims to really show-off the best rain effects in a racing sim if I remember.

For me personally wet weather is a part of racing. The unpredictability of how the weather can influence a race is a welcome one. It also brings into play strategy and tactics in longer races, which cannot be fully replicated in a dry race. Dynamic weather (just like day/night transition) in combination with a dynamic evolving track are a must-have to simulate a(n) (endurance) championship.

Yes, simulation is getting as close to reality as possible, and since wet races is a quite common irl, it should be in as many sims as possible. I know, it ain't a easy thing to do, but I really like tha challenge of rain, and especially going from wet to dry like in rF2. Tire choices, the importance of staying on the racing line, using it to your advantage for overtaking etc are stuff I love :p

I find myself at times playing Assetto Corsa and wishing for rain or some dynamic weather effects like F1 2017 or rFactor. Its not necessary but it is like that extra option that makes the game just that little bit better. And obviously pit strategy plays out a little differently too

All these Sim games should have rain, even if its an option. If you don't want rain tough, learn to play the game until you can drive it or just select dry.

I think for the guys and gals who are dedicated sim racers the weather effects adds a level of planing for your race. For the average wheel man I think it is not an importance. Myself I like the strategy of it.

I say yes 100%. I also agree it has to be done as right as possible within the confines of tech and resources available. Ideally it needs to be visually realistic as much as "physically" realistic.

Despite it's quirks with weather Pcars is the best I've experienced. Yes there should have been red flags for when it was too inclement (thunderstorms), yes I hated the scripted weather in the career (really can't understand why SMS did that), yes I disliked the advantage aI had in the wet at times. But overall the effect of going from dry to wet was top notch. Visually it set the benchmark for others to follow, especially the way clouds built up), physics wise it needed some more work though, sounds like PC2 has a lot of things more sorted, especially a drying line. It will be interesting if there is indeed more grip "off" the racing line in the wet as well.

Only if its done properly. I'm not interested in pretty wet windscreens or standing water without physics .
Dry - wet- dry track transitions , including line evolution are a must as are correct aquaplaning simulations. Also high downforce cars should hover up the water on the lines.

Would love to see wet weather in a sim like Automobilista (maybe AMS 2) it would really add to the experience.
The PiBoSo sim World Racing Series Seems to have pretty nice wet weather driving.
At least from my experience with the Demo It was very enjoyable in the wet.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back