Have Your Say: Wet Weather Sim Racing - Is It Even Necessary?

I think chargeable weather including rain will massively enrich endurance racing.

The pre race discussion about weather on the nordschleife, a decision as things start to get dark. Then spots of rain, do we pit now or chance another lap!? It changed the outcome of a 24hour event earlier this year and would make the experience all the richer.

Of course, you are trusting a neutral server administrator to schedule these events and the severity thereof which may lead to its own off track drama. Can't wait!

My favourite bit of Project Cars on the X1 was a GT4 race in the career where the rain was biblical. It was just so so so much fun. The rest of the game was a buggy mess, but I loved most of career mode and loved the changing weather.

I think it's important and a fantastic addition, but only if it is...
- not just a reduced grip-multiplier (considers the tires water displacement, different slip curves at different speeds etc.)
- actually dynamic and not the same condition over the course of a race
- not an overdone gimmick with huge torrents flowing over the track left to right like it's a race from the sixties with no communication to the stewards that would red flag the race. (I mean, it can be fun, but force this thing into a career mode, give the option to have the game red flag ridiculous conditions early).

If I'd put it in a game, I'd also add recommendations by a race engineer, like how the weather will change soon, when to go on intermediates, or adjust brake cooling etc. Somtimes you know that something is a good idea, but have no experience by how much you should change things, for example how much less fuel you will need - having an engineer recommendation would be good.

I think it is a good option and changing conditions means rethinking strategy which I'm all for BUT any developer that puts you in a thunderstorm with lightning doesn't know a thing about real racing!!!
I get that it's a game but it is murder for people who may have seizure issues unless it is fork lightning. Even then no real race will run in a lightning storm, rain or not, because it exposes the corner marshals, the fans and pit crews. In fact the only people that are safe are the drivers whilst in the car.
At the very least make it an option.

I think that if I was to release a so-called Sim racing game, I would definitely introduce proper rain and as much as different weather conditions possible, and only after that I would think about increasing the number of vehicles or tracks. My dream Simulator title would start with only 5 tracks ( 2 tarmac, 2 gravel and 1 montain mixed surface) and 30 cars ( 2 from each racing category) but all the Physics/graphics and animations would have to feature the state of the art. Kind of Project Cars but made by serious people who know how it feels to drive a real car. No wonder my favourite game still is RIchard Burns Rally wich ironically is older then some of the commentators in this forum.

Last edited:
People forget (or don't realize) how complicated rain actually is....sure you have the dynamic racing line and puddles and all that, but even those are just the basics...what about the effects of rain on aero? How exactly do you plan on simulating a formula car's downforce when the air is going over a puddle rather than a dry track (and that's not even considering the effect of the rain itself)? It's not like there will be data for it. Proper aquaplaning and rain tires also have yet to be done (even stuff as "simple" as rain's effect on grip is very complicated and lacks any real data). Not to mention the effects of humidity and rain droplets on engine combustion...so to those saying they don't want rain unless it's done correctly, you're going to have to live with the fact that it's way too hard to even get close in a reasonable development frame and with current computing power...

With that said, it's certainly nice to see rain in a sim, but for the aforementioned reasons it's definitely not a necessity.

Well, basically I can only talk from my F1 2016/2017 experience. In league racing and in career wet races are very cool and necessary! Like in real life, that gives smaller teams and drivers, which are usually far behind the opportunity, to show up at the front. I also don't like it in quick races, but for longer races, it also adds the strategy as a very interesting factor: when should I change tyres? Should I stay out? Will the weather change back?

People forget (or don't realize) how complicated rain actually is....sure you have the dynamic racing line and puddles and all that, but even those are just the basics...what about the effects of rain on aero? How exactly do you plan on simulating a formula car's downforce when the air is going over a puddle rather than a dry track (and that's not even considering the effect of the rain itself)? It's not like there will be data for it. Proper aquaplaning and rain tires also have yet to be done (even stuff as "simple" as rain's effect on grip is very complicated and lacks any real data). Not to mention the effects of humidity and rain droplets on engine combustion...so to those saying they don't want rain unless it's done correctly, you're going to have to live with the fact that it's way too hard to even get close in a reasonable development frame and with current computing power...

With that said, it's certainly nice to see rain in a sim, but for the aforementioned reasons it's definitely not a necessity.
Funny... I had the same answer when I asked for F1 cars to be implemented on Assetto Corsa shortly after it was released!!! I quote ...*how the heck are they going to do it??? ...bla bla bla... are you insane??? do you even realise?!!!!...bla bla bla* So I dont ask for perfection but some serious release wouldnt be asking for too much I guess.

Wet Weather Sim Racing - Is It Even Necessary?

Really? Is this a proper question? It sounds to me like asking whether in a flying simulator "wind" is even necessary...

Simulation = weather simulation

A rain-drenched race is not much fun at all. The fun lies in the conditions changing. I remember being way down the pack in Grand Prix 3 race when the rain started to pour. Changed the whole race, with strategic pitstops and all sorts of drama unfolding.

It can be a great addition to a long race particularly, if modeled correctly.

Rain itself is boring though. The beauty of sim racing is that you don't need to spend 60 laps snailing around a drenched race track.

Really? Is this a proper question? It sounds to me like asking whether in a flying simulator "wind" is even necessary...

Simulation = weather simulation
Without dehydration, seat rash and whiplash simulation, what's the point of sim racing anyway?

I'm happy enough to race in the wet provided it isn't endless, done quite enough in the Real World but I should qualify that by admitting that racing on two wheels in the wet is miserable and cold.
However, I doubt it is really possible to model it in a sim remotely close to the real thing.
My 2c.

Not necessary, but preferred. Doesn't have to be perfect either. Netkar Pro had a decent basic rain set up that was not bad. Yes, I prefer to race in dry weather, and in daylight for that matter, but rain would be nice. That said, some cars i would not touch in the rain

No. Focus on simulating the cars and the AI racing behaviour well first and foremost. If weather is there, great. If it's not, great. Just make sure the racing part of "Sim Racing" exists first.

YES! Isn't a sim? A sim should simulate the real life conditions. Rain, night and whatever are part of it. That's not even a question that should be asked. We all took rain - at least - for granted in racing sims back in the 90's and 2000's.

It really has to be done correctly to be worth it. A lot of fun to be had deliberately moving off the dry line to cool wet tyres, and frantically picking the right tyre in the pits based on weather forecasts!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 518 38.5%