Have Your Say: Tell Us Who You Rate as the All Time Best British F1 Driver

Guess with Lewis on pole and winning most times ,matching and catching records this is a good place for those to put him last for something...i mean Eddie Ervine, David Coultard ??

Wow!....
The pole is not 'Who's the nicest gentleman?' or 'Who do you like most?'
It represents a difficult comparison... given the different era and types of machinery.
That said; Given that he has surpassed every other British driver's accomplishments, Hamilton has to be near... or at the top of that list.
You may not like him and that's certainly your prerogative..
I personally, have never met him...don't know if he's a nice guy or a total 'wanker' behind closed doors...don't care.
There is however, no denying that as a rookie, he completely up-ended the establishment by almost winning the WDC in his first year... and has stayed relevant ever since that time.
No one in the history of F1 has ever come remotely close to doing that.

Last edited:
Hamilton, no doubt. His debut season was epic! I grew up with Mansel and his 'stache. Great driver, Damon Hill kept getting trounced by Schumacher.

I've always liked Irvine and Coulthard, but the big jaw is a great commentator. He made the transition like David Brundle offering great insight and opinions. I can't see Lewis doing a stint in commentary on his retirement, maybe jenson would?

It's Hamilton's aggression, ability and focus I admire. His off track antics do nothing for me, but he does the majority of his talking on the track, where it counts.

Lewis severely gets on my nerves and I actively root against him with gusto, but there is no question in my mind he is the greatest Briton to have driven in F1. The talent level is undeniable.

Bear in mind please that, as a Yank, I'm subjected weekly to NBC assigning Hamilton to me as "America's Driver" (probably largely because they assume our demographic would intuitively relate to a driver who perceives divine intervention in every turn of the wheel). Wish they'd stop, but they are working their tails off trying to get to that coveted 250k viewership level. :roflmao:

Take Hamilton out of the picture and I think Clark is my choice, followed closely by Stewart.

Has to be Hamilton who else ?
giphy.gif

Hamilton-wins-2016-Hungarian-Grand-Prix-724x407.jpg

Just dab on them haters.

Graham Hill for me.

Not one mention of James Hunt?

I'm a Jenson Button fan though, he had 1 car capable of winning the world championship and that's what he did.
He beat all of his team mates (by points totals including Hamilton) apart from Alonso but given the car was massively unreliable and not really competitive, you could argue that those seasons don't really count or could at least have gone either way.

There have been many great British F1 drivers though but as someone already said, it's impossible to compare across eras.

Cannot pic only one, but equal from different era's, even two of them drove a lot at the same time, but what i have seen in my life. And in order that they were on the peak, and how i will always remember them. Nigel Mansell 80's/90's. Vs. Senna, Prost, Piquet... You name it. Damon Hill 90's. Vs. Schumacher, Irvine, Häkkinen, Villeneuve. You name it. And David Coulthard, also 90's but thru until mid 2000's. Against Häkkinen, Schumacher, Hill, Irvine, Villeneuve, Barrichello, Räikkönen, Alonso... You name it. Great driver's, gentleman's, type of charachter's wich you dont see anymore. Like versus yes charachteric but only from "cocky" side Hamilton. Well any of them doesn't have charachter anymore because of the stupid rule's. You say what team say what sponsor say and blaablaa... Fan's are great where ever you go and same sh.. All over again. Even Kimi has been toned down, despite he's a father yes but... Only he's got anymore is that Bwoah-thing. Which is obviously enough to get this today's audience on your side, people getting very simple... Small action on the track, GO OUT YOU TRY TO KILL ALL BUU (When try to pass once during season) But say Bwoah... In inteview, instant legend. Well already legend because he's history but that's the way getting in "modern" heart's. I think James Hunt in modern day would have been sacrified like a witch by burning him in fire with he's "recklessnes" that was he's charachter, doing thing's straight with also being a gentlemann.

Latest News

Back