Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

It would be a perfect feature to train a difficult corner 10-20 times to get it right instead og driving the whole track each time. A more effiecient training tool which could help me a lot.

To get better you learn the whole track. You dont restart after 3 corners you get back on course after you mowed the grass you learn the next corner and so on. That is how you get better. You perfect your line 2 corners before the one you want to nail. Learn to setup your car and learn your line by running laps. Pros dont go and turn around in practice to do the same corner over and over.

How is this even a discussion ?

Last edited:
:confused::cautious:
So you sayin....
rFACTOR 2 really does have "resume from replay" feature !?? :O_o::alien:
Well ** me.... :devilish: I haven't had a slightest clue about it.
All those races all those years wasted in vain my God... :cry:

GTR2 has same thing

Sure why not... much like all other aids that exist today no one is forced to use them.

I still trying to get my head around a few people think you could rewind online, lol, that would be a neat trick, add pause while you at it lol p

Never realized it's such a contentious issue with lots of condescending
remarks to aids users in general.
It can only be used offline so who's business is it what you do.

No one said no has ever used the horn in car doesn't have one either, that would be "unrealistic" lol

Personally I think virtual mirrors is just as big aid as rewind except you can also use them online and in league and I do believe you can't force it off

P.S. also "looking back" is as big a aid and one I use when can not see well from real mirrors

Last edited:
It would be a perfect feature to train a difficult corner 10-20 times to get it right instead og driving the whole track each time. A more effiecient training tool which could help me a lot.
I just had a thought on this idea. Personally I don't think this is why rewind should be implemented, however a lot of people seem to want to use it in this way.

I would therefore suggest a training mode where you can just repeat the corner again and again until you nail it. Lap times don't exist it's just corner training. Maybe it spits out a theoretical lap time to show you what you could achieve if you stitched all your best efforts together?

To get better you learn the whole track. You dont restart after 3 corners you get back on course after you mowed the grass you learn the next corner and so on. That is how you get better. You perfect your line 2 corners before the one you want to nail. Lean to setup your car and learn your line by running laps. Pros dont go and turn around in practice to do the same corner over and over.

How is this even a discussion ?

Perfecting af coner is a very difficult proces that requires lots of focus to get right. According to Drivers University https://driver61.com/uni/corner-phases/, you can split a corner up in 6 Phases:

1. Braking and downshifting
  2. Trail braking
  3. Pedal transition
  4. Balanced throttle
  5. Increasing throttle
  6. Maximum throttle
If a very challenging corner is identified, the most effective way to do train this is to repeat it again and again in stead of making one try and then waiting an entire lap to do one more try.
I belief splitting up an activity into parts an practice them individually has proven to be the most effiecient way to practice.
Personally it would kill my experience to do this for every single corner, but for very challenging corners sit would be a way more effiecient way to train.

I would therefore suggest a training mode where you can just repeat the corner again and again until you nail it. Lap times don't exist it's just corner training. Maybe it spits out a theoretical lap time to show you what you could achieve if you stitched all your best efforts together?

Interesting perspective. I like the idea of having a different mode without focus on lap time. In training you train specific parts of a track. In practice you try to stitch the parts together for a complete lap time.

No , in real life you get no 2nd chance , so why in a game no one gets 100 % correct in life & so it should be in a game too that is realistic , If I crash out of a race then that is it , you do the whole thing over again or just except the result and carry on. practice makes perfect & that takes time just a simple fact , there are no short cuts in the real world at the end of the day.
At the end of the day it personal choice , I just happen to find repeat one spot until you get it correct unrewarding. I may not like loosing but that is just a fact of life.

Why not, you can choose not to use it.
Sometimes a rewind makes more sense than a complete restart.
Have an iron man mode for those who want to switch it off completely.
Most of the times / games I don't use it, but time is precious so sometimes I do.

...but more important than a rewind, I'd like to see a save option for when you have to quit a race for the time being. Again, optional as nobody forces you to use it.

I'd rather save a full race midway, than race short races.

The blinders worn by some sim racers are huge. I would never use this myself but as an aid to help those that need it or increase their enjoyment I think every game should have this. The more options the more accessible the hobby is. It goes without saying that it's a training aid and any lap that uses rewind would automatically red flag it for any leaderboard.

Last edited:
Purely from the point of what a simulation game is meant to be, i.e a simulation of real life that is made to the best of the ability of the developer, I would say that rewind is not a feature I would like to see in sims.

I remember all the hours I put into learning every track that I raced. Practicing one corner continuously doesn't work after you try it a few times. This is because as you progress on every other corner in the track, the one that you practiced 1000 times by itself will be different when driving the track as a whole.

I don't think it's an effective tool to become a better driver, I think it will actually slow your progress.

[Edit] Also when considering offline races, there is no race that I've experienced that I couldn't restart and gain more from redoing it. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
That's fair enough. I do feel like most of the reasoning is being done by those who are for the feature. And those against it just say "No, hell no. And no again, it's for arcade games" with no real reasoning. Have your say, don't waste your say.

It's a shame that there's no rating for "oh I understand you now"

The way I see it is this; if the flashback/rewind/time travel jump had never ever been invented in race games, do you think anyone would have ever expected it or asked for it? I honestly don't think so. Just my opinion.

The way I see it is this; if the flashback/rewind/time travel jump had never ever been invented in race games, do you think anyone would have ever expected it or asked for it? I honestly don't think so. Just my opinion.
:roflmao:
Such a deep question that is...:rolleyes: How they have been "invented" on first place ?
Yes... someone has actually, at some point, asked for them.
Bingo now. :)
I mean... ppl really overreacting you know... you wanna "real life" experience on your home pc ? Go rent a car/carting and do it for real, asking the same from your pc is really ...delusional. At best.
Drivers in RL really "only" have to drive their cars while they in their cockpits, we ? We have to deal with real life obstacles too. Do they get called for lunch (cause it's getting cold, and I've been nice and prepare your fav meal now! you're such a pig! disclaimer: that is not actually happened to me!) in middle of Parabolica, with tires almost totally worn out ? Yeah... didn't think so... :rolleyes:
Or like someone said, do they have to worry about cat piss on their shaggy carpet (or even worse - their leg!) in the middle of Eau Rouge ? Yeah again... didn't think so...:unsure:
Feel free to stuff me now with loads of sad & angry faces as much as you like but that's how it is ppl... imho, it's not the "absolute realism" thing (like that's even possible) you really need, you actually need to get a life.

Last edited:
AI what? Don't race with AI, they can't drive at all. But sure if you like them and they are hard enough for you, they are way too easy for me.

Single player massive crash, what ever, you want to rewind back to try again from say 200m earlier? Is that the feature you want? Never seen it in any decent sim really. Plus the rewind alone can upset your car as your wheel is not in the same position etc. so there would have to be some feedback so that you have to set your wheel and pedals to the correct positions with some deadzone and only then the rewind position would play. I can see this being useful for mastering some long track and difficult corners, testing, etc.
Other than that, just start again, most tracks are short.
In a race with AI? Up to you if you want to use these "cheats". I mean why not just play pCars=NFS, etc. at that point.

I think that for sim devs it's simply a bottom of the list if even on it feature.

No need for rewind in multiplayer but always a nice feature in a single player mode. You can always just not use it if you don't like the feature.

Last edited:
Yes. Getting punted by dumbass AI would no longer be so infuriating with a rewind system.

Not surprised the elitist grognards of this site don't like the idea, however.

It can only work against AI. Can't really use a flashback for an online multiplayer race with other real life racers, so it's not like it causes an issue for an online multiplayer lobby race.

If folks want the flashback, let it be an option. If you don't want to use it, disable it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back