Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

Personally, I do not like to see players try to effect the singleplayer experiences that other people have. It's not your experience, so butt out. Y'know, don't tell me how to have fun. Same opinion I have with the argument about adding an easy mode to Dark Souls. Let people play the game how they want. The only thing you gain dictating the difficulty of someone else's game is the validation that you're better than them - and if that's something you feel you need, then please re-evaluate where you get your self-esteem from.

I tend to use it in games like Forza, where the driving is more for fun then necessarily for proper comeptition,

I would NOT like this in every game though, I mean you could argue "just don't use it" , but it does take some development time that could be spent elsewhere

Personally, I do not like to see players try to effect the singleplayer experiences that other people have. It's not your experience, so butt out. Y'know, don't tell me how to have fun. Same opinion I have with the argument about adding an easy mode to Dark Souls. Let people play the game how they want. The only thing you gain dictating the difficulty of someone else's game is the validation that you're better than them - and if that's something you feel you need, then please re-evaluate where you get your self-esteem from.
How does the rewind feature lower the difficulty? It can make you lose less time during games that feature progression and unlocking content, which tend not to be simulators anyway.

Yeah but so is using stability control or steering assist and we don't moan at you for using them.
I don't use assists with my wheel, but only factory aids.
When I can't mount my simrig, it's another story, because with a PS2 pad is quite tricky to stay on track without at least one assist on, especially with the more nervous cars. Therefore I'm ok with one assist on, otherwise I can't play at all.

But flashback is a completely different story: is cheating and I prefer repeating a whole lap more and more times, to make it better and be faster, rather than rewinding after a mistake.

YES. YES. YES.

It's great in single player for practicing things like braking points and trying different lines.

Also essential for when the AI does something boneheaded and ruins your race.

if you aren't on pins and needles from race start followig each turn after turn lap after lap every second in an x-odd hour-long race watching your rear view side view left view right view and collision radar while you attempt to crawl unnoticed like a mouse in a mousetrap factory during a controlled demolition hoping your car doesn't get hell-swiped from a novice who seams to regard your presence as a pest that must be eradicated on sight navigating through gaps between cars with the mission resolve of ww2 bomber pilot through flack and aa fire knowing you will no-doubt develop ptsd long after the race is over eregardless what the outcome... then you aren't sim rasing!

I wote for No as it will transform the entire gameplay of our sims, like paddle shifts transformed. Yeah, we can use H-shifter, but y'all know if you wanna be fast and there are paddles why not use that advantage.
And it's just so weird - people want cars as close to real as possible, laser scanned tracks, and now people want to kill the feature, the most real of all sim racing features ever existed - the time.

I don't use assists with my wheel, but only factory aids.
When I can't mount my simrig, it's another story, because with a PS2 pad is quite tricky to stay on track without at least one assist on, especially with the more nervous cars. Therefore I'm ok with one assist on, otherwise I can't play at all.

But flashback is a completely different story: is cheating and I prefer repeating a whole lap more and more times, to make it better and be faster, rather than rewinding after a mistake.
You don't use assists. That's my point. You can choose to use them.

Some people use assists to have a better experience.

And what about cheating. Don't you feel cheated if you are 2 hours in to a race and some windows update minimises your window and the game continues and you crash out?

Don't you feel like you're cheating when you make a mistake and put your car in to the wall at 100mph and the damage model is so pathetically poor that it allows you to continue?

This feature isn't a out rewarding poor driving it's about leveling the playing field and giving the user a more realistic experience.

I wote for No as it will transform the entire gameplay of our sims, like paddle shifts transformed. Yeah, we can use H-shifter, but y'all know if you wanna be fast and there are paddles why not use that advantage.
And it's just so weird - people want cars as close to real as possible, laser scanned tracks, and now people want to kill the feature, the most real of all sim racing features ever existed - the time.

The whole make it as real as possible argument just doesn't stack up.

Until developers start taking crash impacts more seriously that argument will never stack up.

I agree the driving physics are amazing and the graphics are brilliant now. But all immersion is lost for me when I hit a wall or other car at over 100mph and my car is still perfectly functioning to the point I can continue and set the fastest lap of the race. I mean what realism is that. Don't waste my time with all this make it as real as possible nonsense when things like that exist in "sim" racing.

This feature isn't a out rewarding poor driving it's about leveling the playing field and giving the user a more realistic experience.
Realistic in what terms?
If i drive my RWD car in the snowy road and for some reason overlook the icy bit, or any undulation, I'll spin out and there's a chance i'll end up upside down in the woods. Do I have a rewind option? But does it really matter? When I got an RWD car in the first place I knew that some random things like that can, and will happen. People just tend to get only good things, and put away the bad things that comes with the package.
On any amateur race track theres huge chance you can be rearended by someone, or your brakes would suddently fail. And when it happens, well, too bad for you. You ruined yourself a race, a car, and probably health too. Now transfer it into safe room with a rig and people dare to complain about ruined races... duh.
And I agree with you about damage model, it needs to be less rewarding. And gearbox need failing if you mishift. Afterall, it's just so much more fun watching a replay of you crashing, even if it ruined a race, than watching a video replay sitting in a moving chair... and yeah, watching that is really part of the fun process of simracing for me. I remember in Rally Trophy, when I ruined the stage, at least I enjoyed watching my car bouncing off the ditch or some roadside stones, just for the sake of realistic physics behaviour, that I haven't seen in any mainstream racing games before.

And the more you use bad AI as an excuse for rewind, the more chances that there'll be rewind everywhere, and AI will be still bad, if not worse. Make the rewind function is like a shortcut to deal with the problem which is much more complicated to solve properly.
Take the aliasing thing. A lot of modern games use DOF effect just to hide the aliasing of objects or shadows in the distance.

Last edited:
The article is asking people opinions about a feature. Some say yes and others no, no big deal. Everyone who has an opinion on the subject is butting into other people's experience whether they say yes or no. This is about integrity of sim racing with a feature like this not self esteem. I wanted an uncompromising experience to test my abilities and that's what I got and would want for others searching for the same thing. Yes I enjoyed Grid, Dirt 3 but I wanted a more refined experience where I won't have hand held. If you believe they can still have that with the feature cool, but to attack others self esteem for disagreeing with you is a tad childish.

The whole make it as real as possible argument just doesn't stack up.

Until developers start taking crash impacts more seriously that argument will never stack up.

I agree the driving physics are amazing and the graphics are brilliant now. But all immersion is lost for me when I hit a wall or other car at over 100mph and my car is still perfectly functioning to the point I can continue and set the fastest lap of the race. I mean what realism is that. Don't waste my time with all this make it as real as possible nonsense when things like that exist in "sim" racing.
I generally race on RaceRoom, AMS, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally and just got into iracing for batter or worse and in all I've crashed and in all I've damaged my car's so bad my race was over. Which Sims are you talking about where the damage model is bad?

BTW I've enjoyed that RFRE mod for Dirt Rally, where damage model could be overdone, because even if you go fast and clean you still hurt your suspension and engine/radiator a lot. But that brings a new element into the rallying with multiple stages, you don't just think about going fast, but try to save the car in the long run.

I hear you. F1 99-02 used to have a feature at 50% race distance you couldn't restart. I loved that.

And that is exactly why the rewind thingy is wrong !

Because you get habitual about it and don't realise that learning a track is about geting into the rhythm and flow of "the whole track" and going through the gears and brake points letting it becoming part of you, not just separate corners.

You never learn to get into the rhythm by rewinding corners all the time.
To me this whole Flashback/Rewind option just sounds like pure laziness, or the opposite to serious ;)

The whole allure of racing is basically missed using this option.
And you're most likely to NEVER have a Simgasm ever :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%