Have Your Say: Mods and Sims and the Complications of Installing

I absolutely love mods ..any mod, for any of the sims :thumbsup: I know my way around a PC so have no problems with the installation of any. Some mods I keep, some I will delete, for anybody that does not try a mod, you are missing out on so much.

Some of the mods even manage to exceed the quality of what the original developer produces.

A lot of the tracks for AMS are the work of a particular modder ..I could never thank him enough.

We have sims that are still being used 10 years after there release date, mostly down to the modders keeping it alive and interesting.

Long live the modders that's for sure :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Multiplayer ? ..This is a difficult question to answer.... Tracks and apps I do not see any issue's with, I am sure that there are plenty used, even online by many. With regards to the cars I believe this is a different story, I can only assume its all down to numbers? everybody will have the DLC, but not everybody will have the "mod" ...hence lower interest ?

A real shame really :cry: I would love to race online with some of the cars ..

Last edited:
at the end of the day, using mods means investing more time in the setup of the whole thing while not having that time to play. i used to do that some years back (rFactor, SimBin games) when i still had more time on my hands, but with less time these days, sth. like iRacing or RRE which comes out of the box and ALWAYS works with no hassle at all is just simply more convenient. Even looking up the best settings for my G27 is almost too much of a bother for a non-dedicated chap like me. No mods means you are playing a game, using mods means you are much more deeply involved (and have the time to be so).

Well there are astonishing Mods out there..and all i must say is a big big thank you to all contributors! As far for my opinion Mods are Mods..so they are not with official data or anything like these with is pretty the base for a sim game...some Mods do have pretty good physics and athers have data from teams so they are pretty real but again..

Although RD is excellent for downloads I still think that developers should use the steam workshop as it's a one click to subscribe then every time there's an update it automatically downloads when you launch steam. No messing around and easy for the newcomers who sometimes think it's complicated to install mods.

Mods and moddable games are what the PC is about. Having a PC is a hobby for me. I have built them and used them since the 486 days and many games have been modded in that time and some of these mods have transformed a game for the best. It's why I am a PC hobbyist.
As far as online MP goes though I would like some modded content on an occasional basis but OEM is best for MP in my opinion. There are quite a few AC mods like the Ginetta and Seat Leon mods that would make great racing in my opinion.
I spend loads of my free time modding games for my satisfaction. Heck I just finished transforming RBR vanilla with dust and particle mods, engine sounds and physics plugins and I now have three versions of RBR on my hard drive, RBR 2016 mod, RBR vanilla and RBR Vanilla with physics mod, sound mod, dust mod, view mod and different tracks like sweet lamb etc. I love modding. Infact I think good mods actually fix faults and shortcomings that the devs couldn't do.
Long live mods on the PC and l hope those keen modders all over the world continue to do what they do with my gratitude.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
rFactor 2 mod install is painless, even handles multiple versions: subscribe to Steam workshop item or, not available on Steam, then drop package into package folder and manually install. When you join a server where you don't have the mod, auto download works very well provided the server admin has configured it properly... hopefully Studio 397 will make server admin process easier for those who can't follow directions and adds a flag for paid content.

For me Mods are the element that completes any game. Not being able to use them online is for me irrelevant because mods are to be appreciated for the work that has been done by someone who usually doesn't get paid for it. So we should just be grateful for what we get wich is overall more then we could ever expect really

@Durge Driven thanks to you I learned about this OVGME software! Does it work good? My only concern is that it seems like you cannot make a defined sequence of activated mods, which is useful when one overwrites another

I've had a play with both these programs just now, haven't used them before. To me the OVGME one couldn't be more confusing. But I may just need more time with it. I generally use the copy paste method which normally works OK. Wouldn't mind a tutorial or something that goes a little more in depth because I am getting over all the trial and error.

Is it mod quality? Do you find installation of said content difficult? Mismatches online cause you problems? Share with us your thoughts, solutions and workarounds to the perceived black art that is modded content in sim racing.

Mods in sims, do you have an appetite to play these online and why does the number of downloads far outweigh the open servers with modded content?

It certainly isn't to do with mod quality...
Mod Tracks
Bridgehampton, Donington Park, Thomson Road, Virginia International Raceway, Paul Ricard, Mas Du Clos, Modena (used by Aris for comparison videos)... The list goes on and on... Race tracks, Road tracks, Karting tracks...
Mod Cars
Caterhams, Need for Speed cars, Mazda 787B (became official), Mazda Miata (Became official), Shelby Cobra (Became official), Lamborghini Muira (Became official)...

Maybe it's because word of events doesn't reach enough people?
Maybe it's because these events need to stay online long enough for people to know they're there, and learn to love them?
Maybe it's because there's a large amount of people downloading that don't have a legit copy... So can't connect through official servers...?
Maybe some people find installing mods difficult? (I personally don't know why)
Maybe it's something to do with people dotted around the world, in different time zones... and with normal life things, commiting to a specific time is tricky?

And dare I say it... maybe the majority of people are just too ....... lazy...
Just take a look at the amount of downloads some top tracks have... Then look at the amount of people who have taken 30 seconds to rate / comment... even if it's to type a few letters.... such as "nice track"

I signed up on here and started doing track cameras to give a little something back for all the awesome mods I've downloaded and had masses of fun with. Maybe my attitude is in the minority.

Maybe people need to imagine what a loss it would be without Race Department... and having access to all the awesome modders providing content, and a ton of their time, (mostly) for free.

I salute Race Department for providing an immense resource for all things...
Sim Racing... Keep doing what you're doing... It's awesome. :inlove: :thumbsup:

P.S Did I say the word "Maybe" enough? :laugh:

Because there are so many simulation platforms, so many servers in each, with so much different content. And relatively little people racing in multiplayer at any given moment to populate every random combo. To make things worse people also has very different pace, ability to race clean. So just can not tolerate any bit what they don't like, let it be texture not nice enough or sun angle too sharp....

To make things work there must be some kind of organisation and leadership with decent amount of regular racers who can gather at particular time.

And even then mods can be difficult, because not all of us are professionals with a big team of betatesters and we aren't making living from that. So not much hopes for mods being used randomly.

I would expect mod being used online after release if it is really great and brand new. Also if people are getting extremely hyped for a few days after events in real life which includes those cars or tracks....

Everything is very difficult.

I will admit from my own point of view, and I am coming from both sides, a down loader of mods to a modder myself, and I can only talk about AC, I really see two issues....

SERVERS
MODS Updated

It's not the mod quality, tracks or cars, as some on here, are a very high standard, and very compatible with online gaming, I think it's down to people who own servers, who don't want the potential for them to be empty.

With regards to large organisations like RD, I think you just need to bite the bullet, and test the environment. I Know you said Paul that number dropped, but you have to agree, the level of mods now are at a much higher standard.

I also hear what somebody said above, some mods get released and then just left alone, no updates, no progression and when the game gets updated, it totally breaks them but there are some that are always updated, and the modder always makes sure it works, no matter what version.

Maybe RD could look at these mods, where they know they are not broken, updated, looked after.

What I also learnt (the hard way, I was green), is there is MODS, and MODS. MODS that are ripped / converted what ever you call it, IMHO doesn't belong on an organisation's server full stop.

MODS that are quality, free to the community, like I said above, looked after, I don't see why these would not be a big hit with RD and other organisations.

Just my two pence worth

Shaun

Complications of Installing ? Copy/Paste in to the game folder is very easy lol

Except not all of the zip files are built correctly, or even the same way. Like I said before, it's easy to figure out for someone who loves and lives on mods, but for others it just leads to way too many complications.

I think automatic downloading of mods if you join a lobby would greatly increase their use online.

I also think that people more open to modding play by themselves or with a few friends.

No, what needs to happen is a system that downloads the mods THROUGH the steam workshop when you join a server. As it currently stands, like in rF2, when you join a server, that server either lets you download the mod from them, or it doesn't. Since we're talking about half a gig or more for a car, and just under half a gig per track, that means the server would have to upload something like 3 gigs PER PERSON when they join, for a simple 5 track rotation. So most servers don't allow downloads.

The system needs to be built so that accessing the server causes the player to link up with steam workshop and download from there, rather than from the server. Then Mod use and quality will go through the roof.

Steam workshop is pretty good but I dislike 2 specific things when I use it with RF2:

1. It is not clear which contents are official contents recently updated with new technologies (DX11 update for example), and if new people don't know to search for ISI and Studio397 in workshop it is very hard to find official contents.
2. The Steam workshop doesn't have many functions that make racing sim mods management easier. There are not good filters to find what players want, and unlike the current RD forum mod system with which you get notified which mods have been updated (so it makes you wanna try it), there is no clearly notification in Steam workshop exactly what have been updated. Also people use the rating system worse than here…

• ronniej

While I have your attention!

I want to say a big, massive, heartfelt thank you to each and every modder for all and every game past and present that brings us some incredible content to our sims. Some of the things I've seen people do, in their spare, time blows me away. You folks are the backbone, heart and soul of sim racing. From me, and on behalf of plenty others too I dare say, thank you all so very much for your efforts.

Everything you do is appreciated and I have more respect for you than I could possibly put into words here.

Thank you.
+1

*As a huge fan of F1 from 1985-2004, I would like to send a huge "shout out" and thanks to Carrera.4, ASR, VRC for their work and Shaun Clarke for his Ginetta series......On Topic: It certainly isn't a matter of quality, for me, my schedule is all over the place and I've always enjoyed racing on my own or with the AI. (which is why AI and offline championships are very important to me.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years