Have Your Say: Is The Future Electric?

The reality is that motorsport will change drastically.

But I think it will change for the better. F1 has always been balanced between good racing and leading technology. I don't think this will work in the electric future, as tech advances will be in battery efficiencies and other boring topics.

Therefore, I hope racing will go back to it's roots of close battles and overtaking, taking the emphasis of tech off F1 and returning the entertainment.

The performance implications of electric vehicles are staggering. I love a good engine note as much as the next guy/gal, but as electric vehicle R&D marches on, it's going to put performance in the hands of everyday drivers that was previously restricted to only those with access to supercars or racecars.

I mean, just imagine what the first EV Miata will be like - all of the lovely handling characteristics and personality of the current gen paired with sub 3 second 0-60 mph times. Straight from Mazda engineering to your garage at a price that's a fraction of what you'd pay for that kind of performance in an ICE-based car.

Exciting times are coming...call it a hunch, but I have a feeling we'll learn to live with the lack of engine noise (not that many of us won't still miss it, but I think we'll be having too much fun to spend much time hand wringing about it).

I'm not so sure that electric cars will be delivering high performance on public roads - the authorities will surely be applying some kind of limiting - even by remote control of some sort.

I mean, just imagine what the first EV Miata will be like - all of the lovely handling characteristics and personality of the current gen paired with sub 3 second 0-60 mph times. Straight from Mazda engineering to your garage at a price that's a fraction of what you'd pay for that kind of performance in an ICE-based car.
Nah, with the advance of autonomus cars won't take long till someone makes a law banning human driviving. I can even preview the marketing "Humans makes mistakes that cause deaths, time to stop it, If you love life vote with us" so it makes people see themselves as monsters if they disagree.

Nah, with the advance of autonomus cars won't take long till someone makes a law banning human driviving. I can even preview the marketing "Humans makes mistakes that cause deaths, time to stop it, If you love life vote with us" so it makes people see themselves as monsters if they disagree.
In future generations they will wonder why we allowed thousands of people to die everyday in road accidents, they will think we were so backward. And they are correct.

I think the Interest in cars generally decreases and for most specially younger audience, cars are just to get from a to b as comfy as possible. Electric Cars will surely bring Motorsport to death longturn.
No noise = no passion

Future gen will wonder why there is so much people on earth. <snip>.
Apart from your needless insults, population growth peaked in the year 1990. Global population is on the decline.

Your post is reported too <snip>

How are these rednecks allowed post this abuse here? We need to tighten the moderation here, it is not Trump Towers.

mod edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from your needless insults, population growth peaked in the year 1990. Global population is on the decline.

Your post is reported too <snip>

How are these things allowed post this abuse here? We need to tighten the moderation here, it is not Trump Towers.
I didn't insult anyone, you on the other hand...

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, no. Not technically bankrupt. The exact opposite. Potentially bankrupt is what you actually mean.
Er...
Mr Dave, the exact opposite of 'technically bankrupt' is not 'potentially bankrupt' is it...?

in a scientific, business or engineering discussion, using the right words is important.
So true, Dave, so true...
So, can we again agree that they are; A, running at a loss. And B, own way more money than they will ever make. Yes?
They own more money that what they are worth, thus 'technically bankrupt'.
Running at a huge loss, thus 'potentially bankrupt'.
I did not say, 'in law they are bankrupt...'
More spin from you..

Lithium cobalt oxide. So you are implying that Tesla mine cobalt in America? Or leaving one tiny little fact out...?
Which is it, Dave?
produce as much of your own raw materials as you can.
Where exactly?
I will answer for you, nowhere in America.
So how do Tesla do it?
Where do they get the cobalt from?
Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Africa.
Most of the mines are owned by the Chinese.
Most of the mines 'employ' children.
Slave labour.
This has been going on for 20 years, at least.
Apple did it.
Another great USA company.
Tesla are doing it.
Another not so great USA company.
Tesla, just like everyone else, is buying from Africa because it's cheap.
And, hey, Tesla needs to maximize profits, true?
More spin from you...

My car outputs solar flares ALL the time, it's a bastard.
When in doubt, try to ridicule...
Your scientist friends have stated many times about the cycle of solar flares, recorded via lens from earth. You know all about solar flares, you just choose to forget...
More spin from you..

Yeah sorry, I won't post stats, graphs, facts or science. Solar flares man.
You missed the point.
Again.
On purpose...
You will not post this or that, good.
Because it is pointless, as I stated.
Because I will do the same to you.
'Solar flares man'.
When in doubt, try to ridicule...
More spin from you...

The scientific community has nothing on you! We should stop buying products from self made billionaires who are backed by thousands of engineers, because Timmy said so.
The 'scientific community' you are referring to, when it comes to 'global warming' is backed government, they fund them.
If they disagree, what do you think happens to the funding?
No funding, no job.
Copies of emails that your part of the 'scientific community' have sent to each other are available online, if you look. Emails going into great detail on how and why they have to change data, to make x look like y. Wonder why?
Data from 'Global Warming' computer predictions has been changed, to make things look bad. It is all there if you take the time to look.
Funny that.
You did not state the whole scientific community did you?
Good.
Because people with the same training and expertise, who also call themselves scientists disagree, completely with the government funded group of scientists.
Funny that.
And no one is funding them to disagree. 1000's of them. Huge list available if you look. Millions and millions of people around the world disagree with 'global warming', not just me.
Funny that.
Their papers and finding are published, just hard to find.
Funny that.
Where did I say stop buying stuff from billionaires...
I did not.
More spin...
Oh, and a lie.
Are you referring to the Tesla owner and founder?
The same man that is convinced that we all live, 'in a computer generated simulation' like The Sims?
That man?
He of course has no evidence to support his theory, never stopped him before...
May be he pays people to agree with him.
Do you work for Tesla?
Now, that is funny...

Enough now, agree to disagree.
It is getting boring..
Yes?

Good lord, global warming is government backed now. I have a 9/11 Moon Landing Bridge I can sell to some people.

Let's make fun of Elon Musk. The man invented PayPal, online news and can land rockets that NASA can't. The mans clearly an idiot and will never have a successful business venture. A guy on a forum said so.

So after reading all of this, I think we all agree there are two possibilities in the future.
Either cars are running with electric engines. We all do not want this.
So the only alternative to wind and water plants is the energy plant tech of Urville, France, département (county) Alpes-Maritimes.
This capital does not even have crimes or traffic casualties. We need this technology!!!

Amazing Formula E race today again. If this is boring than F1 is sleep inducing;) Love the fight between Buemi and Di Grassi and it will be decided in the last race (tomorrow).

In my opinion sound is a huge part of motorsports. You can hear these machines long before you see them, and for me its a huge part of the attraction. It helps paint the picture. I've watched a bit of formula e on the TV and there just isn't any sort of presence, it's so bland. It can't and will never compare to the roar of an engine.

I would say that eMotoesports is here to stay. With rising Government regulation on car companies to go electric; it's assured. And no better platform for R&D is racing. These are the people who will give us eCars that can go 600mi / 1000km on a single charge. Especially when we get to eLMS and you see the Audi R8 ELMS or Porsche 920e LMP.

Well, context here... Is Formula E the future? NO! Is electric racing going to become the future? Yes. Is electric racing the near future? No.
Formula E sucks for a whole list of reasons excluding their (admitted) lackluster under-powered electric engines. But look at what current Formula One cars have in terms of their hybrid engines compared to a few decades ago. Look at some of the electric race series that are actually somewhat successful for being in their very early stages. There's no doubt eventually racing will have to convert to electric powered eco-friendlier cars but it's going to take at least a lifetime before it becomes very relevant.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back