Have Your Say: How Often Do You Race?

Try SRS ... http://www.simracingsystem.com/

A year or so ago I would not have made the recommend ... racing was pretty horrible here. But the Admin made a number of changes including putting together a protest process which seems to have weeded out most of the ... weeds, and racing with SRS has gotten MUCH better.
Like I posted before - I've tried signing up to SRS 3 times now and not been accepted because I cannot give my birth name for work reasons.

Most every day as I'm retired but only A.I. racing as I have 2 p/t jobs (one is driving new cars) that keep me from doing a league as the hours are all over the place when I work. I try to do my favourite sims at least once a week so that A.C, Automobilista, F1, Project Cars 2, RRE, rF2 and GTR2 or Race 07 for sh*ts and giggles.

Would love a league of older gentleman or ladies (haha...as if!). I'm a decent driver but not quite as quick as I once was.

Do you manage to get some seat time on a nightly basis? How long is a usual stint for you? Are you most happy setting fast laps on a leader board, or are you an online only racer? Practicing a track for the perfect line, or racing the career ladder? What floats your boat, how often do you get to drive and how long do you usually spend in a single sitting? These are the questions we want answering !

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment?
If I can get on the rig during the week day nights maybe 1 hour or so, nothing serious...may fire up a couple of different Sims in one night....and usually always with AI in the grid as I am not much an online racer due to sporadic time frames with work commitments, so racing against AI best suits my lifestyle. Do not do Career modes all that much, use Practice mode a bit more so I can get back to the Garage to tweak FFB and maybe vehicle settings.
If I am really lucky and I do not have to work one day in the weekend or all weekend...it's all on, Sim Racing to I feel sick...LOL
Like what you see here at RaceDepartment?...I definitely like what I see here in Race Department...awesome site, my second home :D

I don't race as much as I want to. I do the odd gt3 in raceroom but that's about it. I'd like to do more iracing events but I don't have the time or pace that I'd be happy with. I also struggle to hot lap, but I think that's more a concentration issue.

hi guys
i have too much free time to race but i prefer doing lots of practice and TT or offline races to make my times better as i need more practice than others because i can drive , shift and press buttons only by my right hand, so the workload and also chance of doing mistakes are higher and i can overcome it only by more practice

(i can click a little button with my left hand only if the button is near my left hand's fingers,but i can't grab, press, pull or push something harder than that, so literally i have one functioning hand, so i will make more mistakes and there is more need to practice, also i have to stay away from the cars that need too much counter steering at specific or all tracks... the few factors that i have in my advantages is good concentration on what i'm doing and also not giving up too soon )

if i could reach to the pace and the consistency that i like in my practices (whether by doing actual practice sessions or offline races and TTs for medium stints or long stints at easier tracks ) i will go race online, in iracing , Raceroom or Assetto Corsa, maybe one race per 2 weeks in all the sims i have combined, but if i could not reach the consistent time that i like, then i prefer not to race (not only because of being slow but because of not being ready mentally or from confidence aspect of it)
so, very much of my time in sim driving spent on Time Trials , some offline races and practicing on consistent laptimes( for medium stints or long stints at easier tracks ,at least 2 hours per day)

for example recently i wanted to do a 50 lap stint with reasonable time in Bathurst with Porsche cup car to see if i can do that and it was out of my abilities for driving that long at this track with good lap times and at the end i did only 35 incident-free laps with reasonable lap time :D then i have decided not to participate in Bathurst races :D
in case of iracing ,because of this maybe-wrong strategy that have too low race sessions involved, i have "A" Road license in iracing but i have only participated in 25 race so far, but i'm working on it to participate in more online races as i have learned lots of tracks so far :D

Last edited:
Haven't raced "professionally" in a long time. Stopped racing in real life due to a lack of budget (I'm not as rich as Stroll's daddy) probably 10 years or so ago now and pretty much stopped racing online aswell due to lack of interest in pretty much anything offered in the various leagues.

Apparently league organizers are not aware of the fact that there's life beyond GT3s, but oh well.

Nowadays I still do plenty of racing offline vs the ai (simulating the entire weekend with FPs and Qs and Rs), but it's more of a necessity rather than a pleasure because I need to do extensive bugfixing and testing on all my mods and the only way to test fuel/tires consumption, physics, sounds and the like, is to do multiple long distance races on my own. Sometimes I force myself to doublestint or triplestint the tires in a car from the '50s just to see how far it can go without blowing up. A few times, I needed to test more cars at once in a multi-class enviroment over a 12h-24h race and did the half the races on my own, then let the ai drive overnight while I went to sleep.

It can be boring, but I'd rather do it now than then have people bothering me with stuff I might have missed or not noticed or not found or not extensively tested and so on. That is, if I don't die of old age or kill myself before finishing my mammoth project.

Too rarely, for sure. The amount of time spent highly depends on my family duties. Having small child consumes much more time than it can be imagined. ;) I'm very happy if I manage to race 5 hours per week - usually in R3E.

Mostly offline due to my shift work., that can vary from none to a few hours per week. On days off the afternoon is my most active times

Done various RD clubs races over the year's but never really had the pace, but now with the Wreckfest club it's just fun without the stress of setups an practice.

sounds like you are recreating a 50s 24h of lemans grid with the track in its original layout (would be cool).
Oh boy, I wish it was only Le Mans. What I'm doing is essentially race-by-race specs and liveries and cars for all the WSC races (including Le Mans) from 1950 to the late '80s (until Gr.C died, essentially) and then moving on from there to the '90s. That includes events with huge entry lists such as the Carrera Panamericana, the Mille Miglia, the Targa Florio, the Nurburgring and so on, from a time when there were at least a hundred cars each. Even obscure WSC rounds such as Venezuela are being done.

A lot of cars were made through the years by other people, but they always were from different events, never a complete grid. And a whole lot more don't exist (yet) to begin with. I'm rectifiying that, but 10 years and +5000 cars later, I've still got a long way to go. When you think about the 250 GTO for example, you always think about those few iconic liveries you see here and there on photos or scale models like Hill's Goodwood car or NART's Le Mans entries. But then you start doing your research and you see that the car competed, collectively, in more than a couple hundred different liveries, often from the same teams, but always with different numbers, small details that changed from one race to the next and so on. Multiply that for each car, and you see why it's a mammoth project. And then, I have a personal fetish for backmarkers and obscure entries that did one race and that was it, and I can't pass on them. I need to make them, even if nobody cares. The hardest part is to actually build cars that no other modder made before so I'm making my own from scratch aswell. White Elephant from '66, Periscopica from '67, and a whole lot more, especially for the '50s, but also the '70s and the '80s.

About tracks? Well, in that case most are placeholders. Things such as Panamericana or Mille Miglia are impossible to make for any game. No way in hell a game currently available can handle the entire countries of Mexico or Italy. But there are a few options set in those countries, smaller stages or tracks that give a period feel to it. Le Mans track set in the '50s? There is that new project in beta form available for rF2 set in 1967 with the option for 1970 aswell. A friend of mine is in talks to get permissions to convert and adapt that, eventually. But I'm not the one doing the talks, so I have no idea how things are going on that front. Regardless, the old GPL '67 is good enough, if anything it can support 60+ cars easily.

And I'm doing all of this alone.

Last edited:
Both Dirt Rally and Sébastien Loeb are dormant in my steam account. Although they were bought cheaply in the Christmas sales and are very enticing, I daren't install them at the moment. I just daren't. My current Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and Automobilista catfight leaves no room for more sims to enter, claws out. :confused::whistling:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%