Have Your Say: How Often Do You Race?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say.jpg

'Have Your Say' is back!

Seeing as things have been a little quiet over the last couple of months we've taken a little break from our 'Have Your Say' Saturday feature - but it's back!

So what is the burning topic of conversation today? Simple one really - how often do you get behind the (virtual) wheel, and what do you do when you get the chance to drive?

Do you manage to get some seat time on a nightly basis? How long is a usual stint for you? Are you most happy setting fast laps on a leader board, or are you an online only racer? Practicing a track for the perfect line, or racing the career ladder? What floats your boat, how often do you get to drive and how long do you usually spend in a single sitting? These are the questions we want answering !

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Leave your comments below!

Last edited:
I get to work from home so I spend my lunch break turning some hot laps and then typically a three hour stint on the weekend again on the leaderboards and an offline race in R3E.

When i first found Sim racing in the community sense i was 100% sucked in with it , i thought and still do that it's a fantastic hobby and lots of decent people involved in it , i admit i personally race very little now , it comes in phases for me these days.
My fav bits
League racing with same mod /Car/ varied tracks over a season , i have never been any good at jumping from one mod to another without a massive learning curve and in most cases if i do i find i end up hot lapping for a week and most on my own most times which is rubbish and only to burnout on race day ( overdoing it during the week).

The last few weeks i have been installing my sim's back on my pc and eyeing up my cockpit
Hope to have another blast soon.

One of my biggest issue these days is i have too much choice ( i know choice is a good thing )
But like i said jumping from sim to sim i find it hard work to keep up.

When not racing i draw and try making art lol.

Last edited:
two iRacing events each week, so about 50 mins on those nights, bit of practice for those and maybe some offline fun (wrc7 or RRE) on other nights, but usually only about 20-30 mins. Been doing this hobby for well on 15 years, but with the little time I can/want to invest, I am stuck forever in the lowest third, so the iRacing system of rating players and providing many grids in the popular series is ideal for me. Used to do a lot of league racing here at RD (RDTTC 01-07, for instance) but not focussed enough for that in the recent past and the foreseeable future, so don't even have a premium membership.

Daily, Sometimes a few laps, Sometimes the whole day. Mostly online and whatever car that is available (wich often are the shitty ones that are left on 22/24 servers lol ) Always for fun on just trackday servers doing hotlaps or whatever, I cant handle online races :poop: i get way to much pressure and mess up the race.
So time attack it is.

If practice for races counts, about two to three times per week on average. I do sometimes take breaks for a few weeks, but then I have weeks where I practice or race every day.

Last edited:
I feel like in a nice rhythm if my steam hours count is sitting in around 25-35hours per two weeks, most of that usually are simulators (though it is always nice to spend playing time differently from time to time). Less than 25 means starting to get quite busy. And more means no lifing - which is bad in every way.

Really feels well to RACE 1-2 hours in a day. And double of that in the weekends - 3 hours usually is the limit when it feels complete.

Far from how often I'd like to.
Every sim has these flaws that keep pushing me away. For AC it's the AI which can't keep up after half of the first lap and the RD races which start way too late for me. PC2's AI is a mess even after yesterday's update and its multiplayer and esport scene is already dead and buried (can one say it was even alive at some point ?). R3E graphics and ffb just don't seem to go right for me as my driving is an absolute mess. I'm starting to regret purchasing a cockpit considering how little use it's gonna get. Maybe this isn't for me anymore... :(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 394 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 266 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 254 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 186 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 314 13.0%