Have Your Say - Damage in Sim Racing

Well what I always wanted from a sim game is to simulate the behavior of a vehicle as precise as possible. Not just realistic fake simulation of suspension, tires ate specific times and when you hit a wall for example it becomes unrealistic, so yeah I'd like that the car would be simulated as a realistic physical body as it rolls over, crashes etc. I guess games like LFS and some other less simy titles come closest to that. And as for damage, I'd love it to be as realistic as possible, it can be less visual but more technical, therefore I think the best damage modeling is in RBR.

I would also see more realism in the damage model; I've seen cars totally destroyed, with a dead motor after a slight scrape on a wall; a slight tap on the door would destroy the splitter and wing on said car. In another instance, a tap on the rear would cause damage to the front splitter and vice versa. In real life, saloon cars, including some GT cars are ALWAYS subject to some rubbing and door banging, without completely totaling the car, and that makes for real close racing.

I also wants a real damage system where you see the hood is cracked, and the sound of it.
I do the most of racing with Assetto Corsa and when you try to get past a car,the sound is really lame.
It dont matter how or where you collide with another car.the sound is the same.

This is why I'm somewhat reluctant to call the current class of race titles Sims, their more emulators than simulators due to the fact none truly simulate what the real world of motor racing encompasses.

Damage is a fact of racing, whether it's a simple fender rubbing on a tyre or a major front end crushed with a shattered radiator from a brake fade which resulted in rear ending an opponent, it's not a priority of the Devs, yet they claim their titles are the closest thing to real racing....simulators.

So until a dev can actually reproduce 95% of real life motorsport, which includes car damage affects like many before me have noted in this conversation, I refuse to call them Simulators.

I want realism, as close to actual motorsport as possible, which includes a damage/collision model to panels, mechanical parts and chassis components. As many have said, it has been done in the past in varying degree's in older titles, so what's stopped the current devs from spending the extra time to make the complete racing title today, that we've seen glimpses of in the past?

If one dev stepped up and produced a title that had weather, day/night transition and a half decent collision /damage model, I doubt many of us would race anything else going by the comments so far, I know I wouldn't.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Realistic slight issues are part of real world racing. Driving too hard over rough terrain in beamng and in real life will cause a few suspension mishaps that will be annoying, pulling too much stress on some parts will increase the risk they will break, if some other car keeps bumping your rear engine car little by little your engine will start to suffer too in small things like very minor timing belt slipping or issues between the crank and the transmission.

I've heard people use the most pathetic excuse with motorbike racing games saying "its a racing game with bikes, not a falling off of bikes simulator, its ok if the falls look awful" Which i think its absolute BS. If you wanna make a game about something realistic you should strive to make as many parts of that as realistic as possible. If you make a semi realistic bike driving game make realistic physics with people falling out of bikes, if you make a semi realistic car driving game at least add damage to some kind, and if you are going for realism, add stuff like suspension or performance failures too.

since flashback takes away from realism and immersion then "real" damage should (in theory) make sim racer glad ? is that the question ? well in all things moderation is what i say to that. eventually bored racer will giggle a grand finale ! meh:confused::sneaky::whistling::mad:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%