Have Your Say: Can Women be Competitive in Modern Formula One Racing?

Not sure I'd be trotting out the old "women are emotional, men are rational" trope as justification here. Personally, I know of way, way, WAY too many counter examples for this to come even close to ringing true in my ears. Plus, I think there is a ton of social conditioning that plays into this impression - i.e. in the west at least, girls/women are raised thinking it's much more acceptable to show emotion then are men (who are rewarded for seeming "tough" and in control of the situation at hand).

All that said, there are definitely physiological differences between men and women that I think could be considered as reasons for why we haven't seen much success in top-tier motorsports by women. For example, men tend to outperform women in spatial tasks, whereas women tend to outperform men in fine motor skill based tasks (it's not hard to imagine the evolutionary root explanation for this phenomenon if you consider what life would be like in a hunter/gatherer type society).

Of course, you can find exceptions to this generalization aplenty - insert name of favorite male metal guitarist here; insert name of favorite female basketball player here. But, taken on the scale of entire populations, you can imagine if you take the the pool of people representing the top 0.1% in terms of spatial abilities, it would not be shocking to see men disproportionately represented.

But, back to social conditioning again, even in 2017 there are very powerful (sometimes explicit, but often implicit) social conditioning factors at play here - "that's a boy thing, that's a girl thing, etc".

That's a long-winded rant but, in a pathetic attempt to put a bow on it, I'll say this:

Is it possible a woman could compete at a championship level in high level motorsports? Absolutely. I don't personally believe the pool is as plentiful as it is on the male side, but I have little doubt such women are walking among us today.

Would I hold my breath waiting for the first female F1 world champion (or even race winner)? Hell no. I think there are too many societal factors standing in the way of those women from the "smaller pool" (relative to men) finding their way into rides.

Don't make my post dramatic please. Having a period simply gives a disadvantage. What if Webber had to race while vomiting in nearly half of the races in his career?

Don't make my post dramatic please. Having a period simply gives a disadvantage. What if Webber had to race while vomiting in nearly half of the races in his career?

The complex sides of the women's cycle are probably seen as a major obstacle.
At the same time, one can argue that even in men the levels of testosterone will vary and you can not blame for the women's cycle when one omits women.

For the top level, Formula 1, no, a woman cant be as competitive as a man.
If both are well prepared, ready to take the body and the car to the limits, the man will have kind of the same advantage that a man have over a woman in a athletics Marathon or in a 100m sprint.
Thats why you have some woman doing a fine job in junior or regional touring classes, sometimes a little better. But the harder, professional and physical it gets, more difficult is for a woman to keep up with a man.

Its not a question if a woman can stand the stress of drive a F1 car, they certainly can for the same period of time. But they cant do it at the same level or intensity as a top driver, physically super fit, man. It aways will be bellow that.
Even on Motorbikes...man have the physical advantage. And nobody can say that women all over the world dont like or dont have interest for Motos.

Yeah, some years ago drivers didnt even had any kind of physical preparation for it....but the same apply to a woman driver, at that time. This is just pure human anatomy.
Add to that the cultural factor, what is interesting for a man and what is interesting for a woman, and the picture is clear.

Last edited:
The one thing we're all missing is this, look at videos of people doing stupid risky things on the net and calculate how many are men and how many are women. Bottom line is men are FAR more capable of doing something insanely risky and women are FAR more capable of making the safe option. Probably stems from the hunter past where going after a herd of Mammoths with nothing more than spears and clubs is a tad mental. And the women had the mentality of keeping safe with the children.

Factor in motorsport is still pretty dangerous despite the advancements in safety then I think that a woman would struggle in the cut and thrust of overtaking. The odd win or so is more than possible in the right conditions/situation, but that also happens to men who usually would have no chance of winning.

Then again seeing as there are "transgender" "girls" and "women" winning easily against other women, makes me think that will probably be the only route a "woman" will win the F1 championship. But there will still be meat and two veg down below! ;) In fact I'd guess at the rate things are going pretty much every "female" success in sport will have been by someone born a male.

There is no reason why women can't reach the top of motor racing. They compete with men in just about everything. Being a squadron leader fighter pilot in a war zone takes some doing! Reflexes etc. must be amazing and there are such women. If she has the skill to race in F1, she would have the mind-set as well, I think. Forget about hesitating at corners or overtaking blah blah.
Give it time and I think we all in for a surprise, hope so anyway.

"Have Your Say: Can Women Care Less About Modern Formula One Racing?"
Here, let me fix it for you...
Seriously, if you are fighter pilot, you do something useful. If you an astronaut, you also do something useful. Same goes for naval officers and other people like that. And you can see women taking on those roles. A Formula 1 pilot? What's in it for a woman? About the same amount of work and stress as the aforementioned jobs, wasted for no apparent reason.
Before you start pondering on whether a woman can be competitive at something, ask yourself if she would give a rodent's posterior about the whole thing in the first place.

Seriously, if you are fighter pilot, you do something useful. If you an astronaut, you also do something useful. Same goes for naval officers and other people like that. And you can see women taking on those roles. A Formula 1 pilot? What's in it for a woman? About the same amount of work and stress as the aforementioned jobs, wasted for no apparent reason.
Before you start pondering on whether a woman can be competitive at something, ask yourself if she would give a rodent's posterior about the whole thing in the first place.

Money? Same as everyone else out there.

This I agree with, most women think more about the "group" than themselves as individuals and we all know that 99% of racers at the highest level have to be selfish and driven. Not particularly nice traits in a man let alone a woman!

There is no reason why women can't reach the top of motor racing. They compete with men in just about everything. Being a squadron leader fighter pilot in a war zone takes some doing! Reflexes etc. must be amazing and there are such women. If she has the skill to race in F1, she would have the mind-set as well, I think. Forget about hesitating at corners or overtaking blah blah.

There will be exceptions to the rule, no doubt about that. Look at Margaret Thatcher, she had more balls than Blair/Cameron et al put together! It would probably need a woman like that to win in F1, someone "worse" than all the men!

Ok then, maybe "Because she can" or she just likes being fast. :roflmao: Who knows what drive some people. I'm just saying it's possible and would be cool to see a woman give Hams and co a serious ego dent (Even though I'm a big Vettel fan.)

I would say no unfortunately and probably never, and i really would love to see it happen and would support them, i dont know the exact reasons why as there are women who do great in other sports, and im not going to say any reasons why there will never be a female F1 champion as being a guy it could come across sexist.

But hopefully im wrong and we do see a Female F1 or Indy legend in my lifetime

A woman who has more qualities than a man should absolutely drive in F1. However I don't like the idea of having a woman into F1 just because she is a woman.

Why not a whole female series instead? Formula Fem, Femula One or something? I don't see women in football, basketball, cycling and almost every other sports, why does F1 focuses on it so much.

Seriously, if you are fighter pilot, you do something useful
We can't all be police, fighter pilots, doctors, etc.
Entertaining millions of people does have value to humanity, even if it can't quite compete with saving their lives or the whole human race or whatever ;)
But as others have already said, most drivers don't do it for its value to humanity but for the fun, cash, fame, glory, etc. Plenty of women get a kick out of driving, not to mention cash and fame. (Plenty of women are world-class singers for example. Is there more "apparent reason" in that than driving a car around in circles?)

Edit: LOL @Bram - "Femula One", OMFG ROFL.

I don't see any reason why not. I don't think F1 is so physically demanding that a woman couldn't train to do it, modern F1 drivers are fairly slim, physical strength isn't as important as endurance.

The main things holding back women would be our society saying some sports are for girls and some sports are for boys but I think these days it's not so much of an issue. Ireland has a top class olympian female boxer in Katie Taylor now and she looks as impressive as any man when she's in the ring, I certainly wouldn't like to take a hit off her.

The next issue is motorsport is an exclusive pastime, you need a lot of money to take part and that reduces the available pool of participants down even more.

Another issue is the fact many, many women will eventually want to have kids, or end up pregnant by the time they're reaching adulthood. That's a big obstacle to any career, sports or otherwise. Once a woman has kids pretty much everything else will take second place to their child. Thats just a fact of nature and it makes it much more difficult for a woman to do frivolous things like become the best driver for a year.

Women are very much driven by emotions whereas men make decisions based on logic and reason.

Generalizations doesn't always work in top level sports. In general, Latin Americans are very much emotional, driven by passion and heart. Not necessarily logic and reason. Still, Ayrton Senna is one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time. Juan Pablo Montoya have had a nice bit of success in his life. Rubens Barrichello and Felipe Massa are clearly emotional people, and they have still had good careers.

Scandinavian people are often seen as the opposite, and while the Finns have a great history in rallying and F1, and the Swedes were great in the 70's and 80's. Us Norwegians have never had a driver in F1, we have had some success in rallying, but the most known guys are not really the regular Norwegian (The Solberg brothers).

Based on the generalization on emotions, logic etc. Norway should've had at least some success, but to be quite honest, current Porsche Supercup and Porsche Carrera Cup Germany driver Dennis Olsen, is the best circuit racer Norway have produced since Gil Andersen were the only non-US driver to qualify for the first ever Indy 500 and taking pole for the second ever Indy 500. (or maybe Eugen Bjørnstad and Sig Haugdahl in the 30's, Haugdahl credited for designing the 1935 Daytona Beach track, organizing and promoting that event, and doing the same in 1937 with a certain William France Sr). Anyway this is going a bit off what the thread is about.

Generalizations doesn't really apply for top level of sports, the reason Norway have never had an F1 driver is that there is not enough companies willing to throw money at it, and we are few people. Not because emotions, logic etc. doesn't "fit.

Women are very much driven by emotions whereas men make decisions based on logic and reason.

56bae70dc461886d098b4581.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fgIOWy3.mp4

Yeah I'm trolling but this was too much of an open goal Austin. I mean... Just look at your own website :p. Aside from all the meltdowns down there, I recall a particularely nasty incident in TransAm with Tomy Drissi intentionally wrecking Amy Ruman, and the many, many times men were humilated because they were beaten by a woman in motorsport (Mouton knows all about it). It's just a stereotype, and the notion that exceptional women can't compete with exceptional men in high levels of sports has been disproven in plenty of others, including chess.

Last edited:

Lmao .
There is a reason why most sports split women and men.
If that was not the case they would get destroyed on a daily basis .
Women in general are nowhere near our physique and don't get me started on the mental side of things .
Take an example for instance from Football since this one of the sports i tend to watch the most .
The best most technical and physical women current international's won't even come close to men's level by a huge margin .
Even e-Sports have split women and men , so tell me how a woman can reach our level ? That's pipe dream at best .
Have you seen how are they doing in gaming ?
Any high intensity games that require quick decisions concentration and excellent muscle memory they are nowhere near us .
There are few exceptions here and there that could match us(Partially) but that doesn't happen often .
Even CS has split women and men for a reason and that's how it should be .
bottom line is :
They can be competitive as long as they are split from the men's championship .

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%