Have Your Say: Acceptable Risk or Dangerous Liability? The Isle of Man TT

It is stupid a bit and quite tasteless but on the other hand... if drivers and organizers don't, and they obviously don't since they put them through this, why would he care.
Not saying that I don't ofc. That's his line.

Last edited:
if drivers and organizers don't, and they obviously don't since they put them through this.

So you are saying that the riders and organisers don't care if anyone dies? Have I got that right? Can you tell me and everyone else here just where did you get that information from?

This shouldnt be decided by some political correct, treehugger 'extremists', but by yourself. Its like seatbelts, if you dont use them, you get killed, but that dosent mean someone else should decide whether you are to use them or not.

Last edited:
This shouldnt be decided by some political correct, treehugger 'extremists', but by yourself. Its like seatbelts, if you dont use them, you get killed, but that dosent mean someone else should decide whether you are to use them or not.

Well actually in the UK it is against the law not to wear a seat belt. So someone else does actually decide we wear them. :) And I think that is a worth while safety measure in cars.

I don't mind things like seat belt laws for the same reason I don't mind fire safety regulations. These are people going about their normal lives, and safety precautions should be in place. Also, seat belts (like fire safety regulations) don't have any negative impacts to adhering to the laws. There's no reason not to.

Banning motorsport events on the other hand is different. These aren't people trying to live a normal lives - they're doing this knowing it's dangerous. And banning it does have quite a large effect as it removes an entire sport and/or event.

I don't see dangerous sports, and 'regular day' dangers as the same thing. I feel like regular day dangerous should be minimised as much as reasonably possible as people largrely have no choice in participating in activities (driving, living in a house, working on a building site, etc) But dangerous sports, people chose to participate and do so knowing the danger. These are very different circumstances.

So you are saying that the riders and organisers don't care if anyone dies? Have I got that right? Can you tell me and everyone else here just where did you get that information from?
They don't care ...since they keep doing this. Of course.
They should stop ...at one point.
Really. Take a look at every other "dangerous" motorsport category out there. Every time something happened, they bust their asses trying to raise safety bar for two notches more. And not only in F1. You care to recall that awful last incident in F4 where such a young 17 yrs old driver lost both of his legs ? And the reaction ? Redesign of entire series car.
What do they do after three death from this year alone in Isle of Man TT ? At best they'll put a a three balls of hay on those places. But, more likely - they - will - do - nothing.
Isn't that sad ?
00ea699484f102437b959eb76348d0a3.jpg

cookstown_100_Dokoupil.jpg

sammy-miller-ducati-6.jpg
Scenes like this are not your average racing accident pictures.
And I didn't even include those bloodiest.
And all regardless of "they knew what they got into" that's not the point they shouldn't be able to organize it, year after year, with same or very similar safety conditions. After so many deaths. It's not middle age for Gods sake.

@gamer19
You really don't get it. If everybody thought like you, we would be in a right nanny state. Any injuries or deaths are of no concern to you. You are not being told or asked to do the same. It is voluntary. I am against the PC people telling us what we can and can't do in sport.

End of discussion with you. We will never agree on this.

ps, just for info;
1st photo is a fatal at the TT.
2nd photo is Ulster GP or Northwest 200 race, not the TT. Rider not seriously hurt.
3rd photo is Sammy Miller in the 2008 Classic TT. He walked away from that crash, just bruising.

Last edited:
Really ? That's all you can think of now ?
Did I said that EVERY other motorsport category is too dangerous to be held ?
So we can all playing chess while having nannies to watch over us.

How do you know that "any injuries or deaths are of no concern to me" ?
Maybe I've lost someone there.
You don't know as nearly as much as you try to leave impression here.

You just can't get over it that someone has a different point of view on whole this situations, that's all. I'll leave you now in peace.
You have a quite a share of your own problems, obviously, you don't need me too.

Last edited:
@gamer19, @Andy Jackson
Hey guys just agree to disagree and move along.
Agreed. We have differing opinions on this matter and I suppose that is a good thing. I think it really is a case of him not understanding why people want to do real road racing and should be allowed to do it and me not understanding why anyone would object to it. We will leave it at that.

More people probably die from

How do you not understand how dangerous it is? Have you not seen the death toll? Just because you love it it has blinkered your views. Football just as dangerous?!? Hundreds of thousands partake in football and 0.0000005% die the TT would be thousands of times more dangerous. But you cant see it.

Erm yes we understand how dangerous it is, but stating how other things are dangerous too, %s are meaningless if EVERY life is precious, as long as ONE person dies then it's a tragedy. But it's all about CHOICE and I think that is something you don't comprehend much at all. People do risky things ALL the time, why pick on one? You can't can't just pick some arbitrary "acceptable death rate" and say one is better than another.

Last edited:
Well actually in the UK it is against the law not to wear a seat belt. So someone else does actually decide we wear them. :) And I think that is a worth while safety measure in cars.
Certainly a worth while safety measure, no doubt about that. But does that mean someone should decide for me whether to use it or not? Should I not be given the opportunity to choose? I only hurt myself by not using it.

Certainly a worth while safety measure, no doubt about that. But does that mean someone should decide for me whether to use it or not? Should I not be given the opportunity to choose? I only hurt myself by not using it.

I see you're trying to make a point but it doesn't wash, TT racers KNOW the risks.....a hell of a lot of car drivers are oblivious to the fact they're basically trundling along in a 2 tonne death machine. Laws like this protect the stupid.

If you're oblivious to the fact that seatbelts saves lives, you shouldnt be allowed to drive. It proves you're so stupid you'd struggle to breath and stand upright at the same time.
As you say, TT racers know the risks which is why they dont need some political idiot to tell them its a bad idea.

i have driven cars legally in England without seatbelts, as the car was made pre seatbelts, its a strange law for sure we have.. (i did feel strange to have no belt on, yet i sit on a bike and feel great)
and shows some rules we have are not consistent in their application.

It's about promoting an overall safety culture with vehicles, which does have a massive effect on other people on the road. By forcing to wear seat belts, by enforcing drink drive limits (zero tolerance in Scotland), by punishing speeding and other forms of dangerous driving, you're en-enforcing in society that when you're driving, what you're doing is inherently dangerous, and very often, it can be more dangerous to others outside your car. If you encourage that train of thought at every opportunity, you'll improve safety in almost immeasurable ways.

A seat belt isn't really about saving the one life of the person who isn't wearing it. It's about the message of it being dangerous, and therefore reducing the risks people take. For many people, driving is the most dangerous thing people will do on a regular basis, and encouraging people to be aware of the danger will go well beyond the life that a seat belt saves.

i have driven cars legally in England without seatbelts, as the car was made pre seatbelts, its a strange law for sure we have.. (i did feel strange to have no belt on, yet i sit on a bike and feel great)
and shows some rules we have are not consistent in their application.

That's simply so the car doesn't have to retro-fitted. It is a consistent law, as it basically says you have to use it if the vehicle is fitted with it. MOTs work the same way - if the car has it (or is meant to have it), it must work. You legally don't need a passenger side mirror if you're car never rolled out the factory with it! Your spare tyre must have tread and be inflated...unless you take it out the car!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 326 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%