Have Your Say – Missing Features in Sim Racing

Just thought of something I would love to see in a sim. An easy to improve AI performance. I would love to be able to edit the AI lines without needing a degree in Sim Development to do so.

There always seems to be a single corner the AI just dont get right. I would love to be able to fix these issues.

Just thought of something I would love to see in a sim. An easy to improve AI performance. I would love to be able to edit the AI lines without needing a degree in Sim Development to do so.

There always seems to be a single corner the AI just dont get right. I would love to be able to fix these issues.

I want Dynamic AI. Basically AI that know you are there and wont dive bomb you in the corners.

Forcing people to take things more seriously will only alienate a title, not everyone has time to simulate real life but still like to feel they can be included, if only in snippets.
Agreed! Gamers already won't do 2-3 hour races like the pros do and have you heard them holler when they're stuck behind a safety car for 3 laps? Expecting them to follow other bits of real life just won't happen if its mandatory... any of the realism upgrades in gameplay will have to be optional.

Advanced damage and thermal simulation!
BeamNG.drive has the most advanced physics actually.
Aerodynamic is not just a pre generated stuff with a spoiler texture, like in other sims. Aero parts arent just textures! They really do their job the way it is in reality You can see how bending is the middle of rear wing above 200 km/h. The amount of air flow into the radiators/brake discs/mufflers and other heating parts changing constantly depends on how the air contact with them. If another part or object block the way of ther air, like when you driving in reverse gear, cooler is not too effective. So its very realistic.
I could imagine they make the visuals of oil/water leak, dynamic scatches and dirt on the body. I'm sure they will make these things too. When I figured out what features would I add to this game, they did it in the next update. :) I think these advanced thermals should be part of every sim. Ah btw I discovered how the old windshield of trucks distort the outside world when you looking out from cockpit view in the new Spintires Mudrunner :p

And this is the problem, right there. People can't accept that racing cars are not that difficult to drive, the skills are being able to get them to the limits and beyond, but simply driving a racing isn't as difficult as sim people make out.
Even with the evidence out there from drivers like Ben Collins, Chris Harris and simply random people let lose in racing cars they all say how in relative terms 'easy' and user friendly racing cars are, even some of the old school ones.
The famous successful racing cars are famous and successful because they are the best.

We will forever be stranded in this weird loop of sim racers wanting to say any grip is arcade or simcade. If its possible to get into a race car and drive it around a track then it should be possible in a game.

Biggest irony of it all is that Forza and GT have the very worst examples of amazing racing machines being utter crap at having any grip and needing to feather the throttle everywhere.
Even Rfactor 2 on a rubbered in track with warm tyres shows that grip is a very real thing in motorsport......
How did the myth that racing cars handle crap and have no grip whatsoever even come about?
Its offensive to race car designers like Adrian Newey etc.

Skip to 3.00 for Harris on the audi GT3..

Not to mention GT3 cars are "first rides" for a lot of racers if they're rich enough. If you have several million dollars burning a hole in your wallet and a freshly issued competition license, you can buy a turnkey GT3 or GT4 car and go racing with it in various clubman series. Those swarms of 911s in the lower classes of '90s sports car races weren't big teams with star driving talent, they were a bunch of fairly ordinary people with Porsches and lots of money to spend. And this was doubly true with old-school racing where "gentleman" (i.e. a rich guy with little prior experience but enough money to buy a race car) racers predominated. The extreme difficulty people imagine and the vast amount of experience required seems mostly true for open-wheel and prototype racing. A GT3 or GT4 car is designed to help you go fast and to keep you alive.

Really the myth IMO comes from gamer culture and the obsession with who is the best, what is the most difficult, etc. The Dark Souls of this, the Battletoads of that, speedrun Super Mario 3 in five minutes with a Guitar Hero controller...all the competitiveness of professional sports with none of the maturity and mutual respect. It's not even enough to be the best at driving a car, you have to be the best at driving the hardest car, the most terrifying and dangerous car that is actively trying to murder you from moment to moment.

1. As a gamer I want to have a simple track builder, so I can race on any road in-game I want.

A good easy track builder. Create your own tracks using Google maps for example.
Height differences and track length+width for example can be reasonably accurate then.
You can edit parts you want, add trees whatever. And suddenly the road in front of your home is a track or practice location ;).

2. As a gamer I want to buy every car and engine type in a game. So I can drive exactly my own car in a game. I want to be able to upgrade it accordingly

If you add a car to a game, add all the types as a developer. I mean in engine choice, luxury trim etc.
If you're poor in-game or want to tune you may buy the base version of a car. If you want a fast car immediately you buy the better car.

So for example, add a Ford Focus.
Base model is an 1.0 ecoboost, but you can also buy a diesel, an ST, RS whatever. You could even completely rebuild your own car...

I mean, you can always drive the fastest type in a game. But why not a base model?
Thats cool and all but then we wouldnt talk about "sim racing" anymore. It would be so much work to get all that as realistic as possible that the devs would never be finished. :D For some "simpler" racing game i think Gran Turismo have much of that? Not the track builder, but in sim racing we are often very picky and want the tracks as close to reality as possible - down to the bumps, angles, cambers etc. :)

Missing features? None
Biggest problem nowadays: 10sims and everyone just adds stuff which the other 9 dont have and promoting it to death.

For a new start up i would hire the best devs for ... from ...
Physics: Kunos, Beamng, ISI, Reiza, or anyone who is working with simulators for real racing drivers
Sounds: RRRE, AC Modders
Gameexperience: Codemasterguys who did the f1 2017 career
Advertisement: Project Cars and Forza 7 Businessclowns so they have to not acutally lying anymore

Since Cars and Tracks come all Lazerscanned....thats the least problem :)

But with AC2 and GTR3 the next generation is already in developement so we will see if they are able to make actuall progress beside of changing their gameengine and do the same **** all over again.

I could think in many things, & the features we miss now soon go to come, & then others features go to be wanted...and then, maybe in 25-30 years the look & the handle of simulators going to be close to ''reality'', the sim-world has advanced by leaps and bounds, you only need to see 15 years ago and realize the ''realism'' that could get to transmit some games of cars (virtually zero)

Proper mod support - Assetto Corsa is almost there but can't get close to how GTR2 has it in the past. SMS did a great job implementing the GenString for the game to eliminate file size requirement.

Not to mention GTR2 has an "official" chrome/nickle effect support while AC doesn't which is utterly stupid (I know you can do it yourself with the dev kit since I did it myself bypassing the "KUNOS Standards").

And there's Multi Light Source Support not available in AC - while games back in the early 00s has this feature to support even the static night time.

Assetto Corsa has a lot of hidden modding capabilities present within the DevKit - its just sad that the standards of KUNOS hasn't really properly documented everything in the pipeline about it.

Hopefully Kunos has taken a lot of notes on AC1 and do much better modding capabilities in AC2 unless they want SimBin to takeover the modding throne again if there will really be a GTR3 ahead.

If we ever got the game full of the features that Ian Bell and Dan Greenwalt promise pre release then we will have the best games ever.....
Sadly it seems devs can outright lie and still get away with selling shed loads...

If you can sell back the product to the same customers 2 years later with just a few tweeks, then you would wouldn't you?
That is for sure something to do with where we are at right now. IMO. Good old fashioned greed.

Ai defintely needs a revolution, especially now that sims are incorporating changable track conditions, racing lines should be different for different types of cars and for differing conditions.

Lot's of good reasonable suggestions, but the biggest thing I want from sims is less bitching from the community.

edit...forgot OPTIONS!! give us as many options as possible, don't like a feature turn it off, want a feature, turn it on! Restrictions are bad.

Last edited:
I’m missing a fully fleshed out single player campaign in most racing sims with a decent AI. Anyway AI needs to evolve also, nowadays they behave most of the times like bots, holding their line but you won’t see things like defending etc. I think there is room for improvements.

Further on a rating system for public multiplayer would also be good to have though I wonder if it’ll succeed looking at PCars 2 right now; there you still find 90% U-rated servers after nearly 2 month.

This isnt really a sim feature, but a community feature. What I miss most is Race2Play, or something similar. A website where you can choose your favorite SIM, a car you like, a time of day that works and viola, your in a series with other serious drivers. Built in rankings, stats, etc... This setup allowed me to enjoy many different Sims. RD is great, but it is mostly European time zones for leagues, or weekend mid day...and rightly so because of lack of interest. iRacing does most of what R2P did, but stuck with one expensive SIM and therefore my other Sims sit idle. I am in a great league on weeknights, but only AC, and no sign of ever changing, and no car choices, etc...
So yeah, bring back a Race2Play!!!

Rain, day cycle, slipping track variation, puddle simulation, better damage physics, sounds according with the RPM, gear and gas (in all the sims, it interpolates the sounds, and it can't match with the real car sound), tyre and car damage with small debris...

as a rally game fan, i'd like the ability to upload stages from older versions of the same game, i.e. all the steges ever produced for mcrae/dirt running on the latest engine (dirt rally or dirt4). it's a crying shame one cannot relive the old stages unless one has an old pc still hooked up somewhere which can still display/run the old gaming engines. The best part would be a career starting in mcrae01 and ending (after stages in 10 games) in dirt4. it breaks my heart to not be able to run the finland stages from mcrae2, the welsh stages from mcrae3, the german stages from mcrae4, the japanese stages from mcrae 2005, the italian stages from dirt01 and ... none of the stages from dirt02 and 03, lol.

Smooth head movement when steering (and pressing buttons to look left right, not just jump to that frame) like the one you can get in Assetto Corsa with "Real head Motion" and 30 minutes of setting the plugin. (great results by the way)

PD= A great Mouse-Steering system like the Assetto Corsa one, i was a wheel player long time but now i havent it, i sold it and i'm playing AC with Mouse steering and with practice and setting the correct values for you, is just great, no other Simulator give me that realistic movement and feeling with a simple mouse.

What I’m missing is:

- of course day/night and weather change in Assetto Corsa
- more car slots, in both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. The ingame tracks only have round about 30 slots and if you look at races like the 24h of Spa or Nürburgring there are up to 60 cars or even 140-160 cars at the ring. I know this is hard to handle for some pcs but some people have pcs which can handle it so imo there should be the the option to get more cars on track.
- generally more intelligent KI, but to be specific what is important imo, that slower cars make room for faster cars in multiclass races. The KI (the slower cars) should learn to get of the line and let faster cars get through. Maybe this could be solved by flashing your lights when you are behind slower cars so they get a hint like it’s in real life. But this feature is missing too:
- flashlight, Assetto implented this, but there is no headlight visible in front of you so it makes no real sense.
- headlights visible during day, PC1 had this feature now in PC2 it is missing because of performance improvement, in AC there are no headlights visible at all
- cars with and without endurance lights, there should always be both versions. PC2 made a step into that direction, so there are some cars with both versions but still not all yet. But why? I mean this can not be that difficult. And in addition to that there are those cars which have the endurance lights, but they are not working?!
- warm up lap, cool down lap and rolling start procedure for Assetto Corsa
- realistic sounds, some sounds in PC2 are just awful, like the 911 GT3 R for example

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back