1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been scammed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohameddo-san, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Mohameddo-san

F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

On Facebook, I always have these fake female profiles trying to friend me.

The first time, she said her mother was sick and had no insurance and she wanted money. I removed her in an instant.

Second time, one girl said her entire family was killed in a car wreck. She wanted me to contact her lawyer and tell her that I was her future husband. I removed her, immediately.

Even one fake girl who sent me a request posted a scantily clad picture of herself. Yeah, it will take much more than that to make me yield.

So, have you been scammed before?
  2. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

1st case:
    I was outside a friend of mine to hang out. Then an old man approache me (it was a crowded central square), he was carrying a nylon bag with a hospital brand on it. He excused me and told me, "really sorry lad, i forgot my wallet at home, and i need to go to the hospital, my wife is a patient there. Could you lend me taxi money, i will bring you the money back around 17:00, if you will be here".

I was going to spend that much there, so i said yes and gave him taxi money. In the end, he did not show up...

Later i found out that some of my friends met the same guy, with the same request and story...

2nd case:
    After a DOTA 2 game, a player on my team befriended me. I accepted as i thought he was a nice guy and we could play together later.

Then after a few days, he sent me a message via Steam stating, "Hey mate, i really wish the Abaddon set you have there, shall we trade? I will pay with Steam wallet".

Fortunately i knew you can't trade Steam wallet, instantly removed him.
  3. H34d5h07

No money, no team racing.

I guess it depends on what we see as a scam.
    Purchasing a overpriced game or similar, with content ripped out and later sold as DLC, is a scam to me.
    Games claiming to be "free to play", just to have giant pay walls to be able to proceed is another one.

Not really scam, but a few times I have seen evidence of people (guys) claiming they are girls.
    Using fake profile pictures, or posting other stolen pictures (often pictures of a model or similar), claiming it's them. A few female friends of mine, has also encounter guys who has straight up lied about who they are and what they do. Most common seems to be "Hey, I am a professional photographer, and I would like to see/take a few photos of you, preferable naked. :O_o::laugh:
  4. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I once had "Microsoft" call my phone and tell me that they had detected a virus on my computer and needed me to give them access to my bank details in order to remove it... Riiiight.

Well, I had some fun that night.
    Played dumb with them for 45 minutes before telling them I thought the teapot was the computer, and that I didn't have an actual computer. Then "Microsoft" got very rude, and hung up.
    • Haha Haha x 8
  5. A few days ago I got a message on you-tube from a female containing a link. It said something along the lines of, "hey Alex, this is the girl I was telling you about last night." I was at my house last night... and my name is not Alex. So instead of clicking on the link, I go to the person's you-tube page only to be greeted with a message saying the account was deleted for sending spam.

Had a good laugh then :laugh:
  6. H34d5h07

lol, I received exactly the same message a few weeks ago.
    When I decided to check the profile out, it was gone, due to spamming :laugh:
    • Haha Haha x 2
  7. Mapu

Premium Member

I have a drawn female avatar on steam (because its cool :rolleyes:) and some people seem to fall for it. But hey I'm not interested and remove people on my friend list who approach me in a distinctive way. It is interesting to see how many friend-requests I got since using that avatar while before using that one I was a regular candidate for the kick votes. :p

I got scammed by an online-shop a few years ago when I was looking for a rare music album (Esem - Serial Human) on CD. This particular online-shop had the album listed as available for shipment. So I made an order and payed for it but never got my CD. Annoying experience but lucky enough it didn't cost me a fortune; lesson learned. :unsure:
  8. H34d5h07

Horny teenager guys I guess? :cautious::laugh:
  9. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I have successfully managed to get 150 million USD out of Nigeria for the local Prince who got in troubles. I received a 10% fee just for opening up my bankaccount for the prince and ever since I have moved to the Maldives living the good life.

So no, I have never been scammed or even received an attempt via email. Consider myself very lucky.

• Haha Haha x 7
  10. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I'm pretty sure they also offered a Porsche included in the deal for your help?
    What nice guys they sound like :inlove:
    • Haha Haha x 3