• Racing is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Have/had the English and the Dutch have close relations throughout European history.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohamedou Ari, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mohamedou Ari

Mohamedou Ari
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium

Ratings:
    +601
    From what I have been reading, it seems like the English and the Dutch had lots of ventures together dating back to colonial times.

Sure, there was the Anglo-Dutch war; Britain seizing what would become New York and so forth.

I figured that since there are a handful of Dutch dialects almost entirely like English and the English ca rely on their Dutch neighbours for good business, no.

Care to give me a history lesson, here?

2. Lars Brugman

Lars Brugman

Ratings:
    +743
    Actualy the dialect that is closest to English is the Frisian(Fries in Dutch) dialect, the dialect of Limburg sounds like it's German mixed with a little bit of Dutch'.

Also both of the languages come from the same motherlanguage which is Germanic.

Probably all wrong :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Sterckx

Mike Sterckx

Ratings:
    +510
    Well both their beer tastes like piss so there's a connection:p

(hides in corner)

No, honestly i have no idea. I have a hard time understanding the Frisian dialect but i would never have linked it to English. It leans more to german i would say.

Here is a song in the Frisian dialect:

I'm probably all wrong too, except for the beer part hehe.