Hamilton's Interview after Mexico GP

Hamilton hints that his titles are more deserving than Schumacher's

The head of Michael Schumacher's fan club has lashed out at Lewis Hamilton for Hamilton's comments about the beleaguered Formula One legend.

Kolner Express, a German tabloid, has quoted the new three-time champion Hamilton as comparing his achievements with the record seven titles won by Schumacher.

"I've never done the things that Michael did to win my titles," Hamilton is quoted as saying. "I won mine with my natural abilities only."

Hamilton may have been referring to divided opinions about Schumacher's wheel-to-wheel tactics, or rumors of favoritism within Ferrari and tire supplier Bridgestone.

But considering the sad situation now endured by the beleaguered Schumacher and his family, Reiner Ferling said, "Hamilton should probably switch on his brain before he talks.

"He should learn about what Michael achieved. I just say, pride comes before a fall," added Ferling, president of the fan club in Schumacher's hometown of Kerpen.

Schumacher has not been seen in public since he was critically injured in a skiing accident in France on Dec. 26, 2013.

Is there a link to a video of the interview?
Tabloids are notorious for quoting out of context & cut/pasting comments from different parts of the dialogue to make up "sensational" stories, so i will need to listen to the whole interview before commenting.

Well, I disagree with Hamilton, two of his three have been as easy as the golden ferrari championships, although it is true that at least his teammate was allowed to fight him for it, so at least he had one opponent, Shumacher had 0, that's right, 0 competitors in 2002.

Still, 3 against 7 , a couple of non-competed WC on each side.

But considering the sad situation now endured by the beleaguered Schumacher and his family, Reiner Ferling said, "Hamilton should probably switch on his brain before he talks.

Now, the hypocrisy of making Schumaker a saint just because he had back luck skiing, I agree 100% with Hamilton in not sticking to that. MS was an absolutely marvelous diver and an absolutely non-exemplary sportsman. And the fact that he is now in hospital does not change a comma that he basically stole his 1st championship to Hill, he tried to steal another one to Villeneuve and had the 'honor' of being the only driver ever disqualified from a season in F1. Let us all forget about that and praise St. Michael. Bogh.

(Not a Hamilton fan)

Last edited:
I am fairly sure that he probably meant something else and the media organ which reported this shaped up the statement into this silly remark. Only a video or voice recording might convince me otherwise. Or a news at Autosport or such proper news site.

For example, look here what he thought about Schumacher in 2012:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/284982/hamilton-i-m-not-replacing-schumacher/

“I don't think anyone can replace Michael; he's a legend in the sport and has achieved so much already.

Hamilton indeed makes plenty of silly remarks, but i don't expect him to say such things especially when Schumacher is fighting over his life. :cautious:

I think it's a fair enough comment, Schumacher did some dodgy moves in his day. So did Senna. I don't think we need to turn Schumacher into a saint just because he's had some horrible luck.

I'd also say Hamiltons wins mean more because he has stiffer opposition. Schumacher was in a different league to his opponents, he was a new breed. Now every driver on the grid is a Schumacher disciple, I think the skill level has increased a lot since back then, and it's across the grid now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%