Hamilton: 'Quitting McLaren Was The Right Choice'

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Lewis Hamilton says he is being proved right in his decision to dump McLaren for Mercedes at the end of last season.

The British driver left his boyhood team last year, despite having won the Divers’ World Championship with McLaren in 2008, in favour of an unproven Mercedes side.

But after a flying start to the 2013 Formula 1 season, which has seen Hamilton finish fifth in Australia before bagging two third-place finishes in Malaysia and China, the 28-year-old says his decision is no longer looking so daft.

‘Everyone was saying it was the worst decision I could have possibly made in my life,’ he told Planet-F1

‘But definitely, bit by bit, the more and more we impress and improve they have to stand to be corrected. It was such a big change for me, a big step for me. I think I made the right choice.’

Hamilton currently sits fourth in the drivers’ championship, 12 points behind leader Sebastian Vettel, while Mercedes are also fourth in the constructors’ title, with McLaren 38 points behind in fifth.

Image: ZeeNews
View the Post on the Blog

He may have spoken too soon, last year Merc were incredibly strong in the first few races then failed to score any points in the last few races; they just don't develop as well as the other top teams.

We will see if it was the right choice in 2014 when the new regulation changes are coming in. Hamilton said himself that he did not expect any great results this year. The main focus was 2014 which is absolutely right I think. If you ask me, Mercedes should spend most of their time on developing next years car. We saw how much of a step teams can make because of new regulations, Red Bull, Honda/Brawn and Force India all were much more competitive in 2009 than 2008, probably because they focused on the next year.

The main focus was 2014 which is absolutely right I think. If you ask me, Mercedes should spend most of their time on developing next years car.

That's where a possible dilemma could occur, Mercedes will have a tough decision to make if Hamilton is within reach of the WDC at around the 12th race, do they halt development and give up on the WDC; or do they focus on 2014.

He may have spoken too soon, last year Merc were incredibly strong in the first few races then failed to score any points in the last few races; they just don't develop as well as the other top teams.
I think that drop off in development was because they chose to go down the path of the double DRS system (which was ultimately the wring path). And they just just couldn't improve it, and it wasn't adding too much to the cars performance.

That was their main problem. But now that they have a new car with similar regulations, they won't make that same mistake. I see no reason why Mercedes can't be up there with RBR, and Ferrari this season.

There's no way he could've predicted the way McLaren would struggle this year. But I do believe ending the toxic relationship between him and McLaren has given him new motivation.

The thing is that it´s not really about the performance of the W04 and how it stacks up for it to be the right or wrong choice.
Before the season he never expected to fight for the championship so all of this must be a bonus for him.
I don´t think it´s about beating Mclaren either even though in that sense it has very much been the right choice for now.

Thing is, if Mercedes gets to the middle of the season and Lewis or Nico have a realistic chance at the championship (and Mercedes a good chance at WCC) they'll probably push development as hard as they can.

But anyway, if he was uncomfortable in McLaren and he's feeling good in Mercedes, then it was the right decision, even if the car gets worse as the season goes on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back