Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

People were very vocals in complaining about fins and T things this season. After a few races they did not care anymore.

Whenever there is something new, people claim that it is too ugly, that it spells the end of F1, that they wo'nt watch any race any more, etc. And the following season they say the same thing.... ^^
Fins and such are only a minor eyesore. You can deal with that as the cars do look better now being wider and with the new lower rear wings. It compensates in a way.

But nothing compensates for HALO's ugliness to be honest. It looks totally ridiculous.

I still don't like the T-Wings, the fins aren't that bad though.
But keep in mind that those are things that gain performance and/or are loopholes in the regulations.

Halo is just something that was forced upon the teams for next season.

Plus T-wings and Sharkfins are not allowed per regulations next year. This was established early in the season. Probably the reason they have dropped off a lot of fans agenda's because the "issue" had been dealt with.

I was writing earlier that unfortunately this (ridiculous) halo would probably not have saved Jules Bianchi, but more is that it would probably not have saved Ayrton either, as the suspension arm was longer than the distance between the halo and the helmet...
Last, for Massa, seeing the height of the unexpected flying part, "maybe" it could have avoid the contact... or not, and just make everything even worse by lowering a bit the trajectory of the "flying damper"!
Who said, plain stupid? Welcome to 2017... sorry 2018.

Last edited:
Above all else, this decision reminds us that F1 fans like to whinge and moan a lot. ;) But then again, there does seem to be a lot in F1 that deserves it.

I dont really care what or which solution will be chosen, this is their job as drivers and as such it should be made as safe as possible. /QUOTE]
I just say no, FIA is simply overreacting.
When a driver fears such things to happen to him, he should drive an LMP. He is adult and it is his personal decision. Keep in mind: Motorsports is already much safer than daily driving in your car.
Please, stop telling adult people what to do and stop forcing them the way you want them to do.

Whats´next?

Banning Tourist Trophy
Banning all historic races

and after that:

Banning convertible cars(people even don´t wear helmets!)
Banning motorcycles
Banning scooters
Banning bicycles
and at last
Banning Pedestrians
All those vehicles ave in common, drivers and passengers heads could easily been hit by whatever

Will drivers be able to see corners in high elevations? Like eau rouge? And if the driver is going to be hit by a flying tire, will he be able to see it and dogde it, when there's that big, black thing right in the line of sight?

To prevent the distortion, you would have to bring the halo closer to the driver. But that would bring another concerns...

First the people were moaning about Shield. Maybe it's a marketing strategy, that the FIA is switching now to Halo, because much more people whining about Halo.
If the FIA switches back to (perhaps an overhauled) Shield then, the majority shouts "HOORAY! :D;)
Mission accomplished: Popularity increased! :laugh:

I don't get this halo thing.

It wouldn't have saved Ratzenberger nor Senna, doubtful whether it would have saved Bianchi. It may not have prevented Massa's injury in Hungary either.

The screen that Vettel tested would have saved Senna and prevented Massa's injury, but again would not help Bianchi nor Ratzenberger.

I'm all for safety, but surely it's back to the drawing board?

I was happy how the new cars looked, definitely heading in the right direction, then THIS

It's not only ugly, but it will ONLY help against flying tires. So what? Springs and similar debris can still pass through. Safety is good but there can be something as too much safety. Flying tires aren't a common sight in F1 anymore, plus the danger is a part of F1.

FFS...

Its more dangerous for me to go to the local shop than drive in F1. F1.. Its now a complete joke. Driver's hair gets blown out of place... Safety car ensues so it can be addressed... Sandwhich wrapper blows onto circuit... Safety car ensues to clear track.... Hamilton lost a follower on social media... Safety car comes out whilst Sky F1 pleads Hamiltons case.

Just get rid of the drivers and be done with it.

What will they do with Motorbikes one asks.

I agree they get paid enough to take risks, but if a preventable death can be prevented it should be.

No one with disagree with innovations like HANS, the tyre tethers etc. They have made the sport so much safer, particularly HANS.

I just don't see what this really ugly Halo apparatus will achieve.

I agree they get paid enough to take risks, but if a preventable death can be prevented it should be.

No one with disagree with innovations like HANS, the tyre tethers etc. They have made the sport so much safer, particularly HANS.

I just don't see what this really ugly Halo apparatus will achieve.
Nothing it could archieve.

Haven't watched f1 in years as it's simply too expensive to watch, what with needing cable tv and upgraded service. Purely for the elites anymore. And it shows as they make asinine decisions like this one. Perhaps they will go all electric as well, killing the sport entirely. They deserve it.

Haven't watched f1 in years as it's simply too expensive to watch, what with needing cable tv and upgraded service. Purely for the elites anymore. And it shows as they make asinine decisions like this one. Perhaps they will go all electric as well, killing the sport entirely. They deserve it.

OFF TOPIC: They will certainly go full electric soon, this is not a backward step. Oil is not the future, sustainable energy is. The next generation will not set foot in a petrol/diesel car. The predicted date for the last petrol/diesel car to be produced is 2025, but I think it will be much sooner than that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%