Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

Today the Formula One Strategy Group met to discuss a number of issues regarding the FIA Formula One World Championship. For the first time, all teams competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship were present at the meeting with observers from Renault Sport Formula One Team, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Sauber F1 Team and Haas F1 Team in attendance.

Key topics discussed at the meeting included:

Frontal cockpit protection

Following the unanimous agreement of the Strategy Group, in July 2016, to introduce additional frontal protection for Formula One and the repeated support from the drivers, the FIA confirms the introduction of the Halo for 2018. With the support of the teams, certain features of its design will be further enhanced.

Having developed and evaluated a large number of devices over the past five years, it had become clear that the Halo presents the best overall safety performance.
Nice PR bullsh*t statement this is. :mad: (edit: by the FIA)

Before this I read a german article about it:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/...lo-gegen-willen-der-teams-durch-17071912.html
Short summary:
The F1 strategy group meeting this time included not only the 6 usual teams but representatives of the other 4 teams were also there.

Jean Todt apparently hoped for support for Halo from the teams, but it looks like 9 of the 10 teams were against it.

But as this is ruled a safety relevant issue the FIA (read: Jean Todt) has the option to apply any new regulations they (he) want.

I think this explains my previous post:
Great, just as we had good looking cars for the first time since 2008 the little frenchman pulls this out of his behind. :mad:

And I thought the french had good taste.

But then again they also eat frog's legs. :sick:

The only thing I know of having gone through impact testing was Red Bull's Aeroscreen, but it's really not that different from the Shield. The main difference I can see is that the Aeroscreen had a completely straight profile, while the Shield arcs somewhat from front to back. When looking out the front of my own car, I notice some distortion in the view where the windscreen curves slightly. Perhaps the Aeroscreen should be judged by drivers (especially Seb for the one-to-one comparison) to see if the same distortion exists. But, none of this makes any sense if nothing has been impact-tested.

Well they could engineer one based on a jet fighter canopy, pliots have a great vision out there, so it is possible to build it properly.

I think you're talking about Jules Bianchi, who ran into the back of a front loader.

IMO, that was a failure of process... not car engineering. The virtual safety car was deployed and he did not yield to the appropriate speed. Charlie Whiting should have deployed the actual safety car considering the worsening conditions and location of the crash. The marshals brought in the heavy loader for the job, but that was not properly communicated to race control. Etc etc etc.

Looking on how Bianchi crashed I doubt HALO would change anything here, rules for when the crane can enter the track, and better control of cars speed when there`s a yellow flag would though...

HALO is not only ugly as ****, it really leaves you with doubts in terms of safety and compared to the high tech engineering of the car it`s really surprising this is the best the could come up with.

Safety in F1 has been improved to a very high level nowadays, not sure if more is needed.

If so then the decision to bring in the Halo is even more sad.

No way in a million years would this device have saved or helped Jules in any way whatsoever. With the forces and angle of entry, the only think Halo might have done is collapse in on the cockpit and potentially foul the drivers area. That is it.

Now would a halo have saved Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson? Maybe, in which case that is (obviously) a good thing. However, and here is the bit some will agree and some will strongly disagree on, if one thinks of the number of open wheel race events (both club and professional) held around the world each year, then check the number of serious injury or deaths from head contact, it does appear as if the FIA are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Motorsport is dangerous, and as such those who compete weigh up the risks and make their decision. Head injury from flying cars and or debris in comparison to the number of open cockpit races held are absolutely miniscule.

Yes we should always strive for more safety, however this does feel like a fairly major move and fundamental shift from the roots of open wheel sport, for what is a solution to a problem that hardly exists to begin with.
If this Halo is approved and released with the rules this year for 2018 ,
will F1 still actually be classed as open cockpit racing ?
my opinion is no , yes in a way its open to the elements but its semi open , maybe 60-40 ,
I mentioned before , I love stealth fighters , this shield concept to me looked awesome , made the cars look like a jet almost in a way ,
this Halo is just insanity , and still would have killed Jules , but ten times faster because that Halo going towards his head at that speed would be instant death , these cockpits are carbon fiber when all said and done , Spa 2012 with Alonso , would also have been more dangerous ,

I know what lets make a Halo design for boxers too lol :D

Whoa, just read the news.
Byebye F1 I suppose. :D
These cars was just getting really nice looking , like futuristic in a way really sexy ,
since been a kid I just love turbo cars , maybe back then in the 90,s in the UK , everyone going to Mcdonalds on a weekend and having cruises n **** , was just cool ,
3-400 cars covering Mcd,s , BnQ carparks and everywhere you can imagine , was major major hype ,
But again the "police" FIA stopped all this too and in the UK outlawed more than 3 cars travelling together cruising about , that might not be exact to 3 cars per se , going back a while , but you get the gist ,

Anyways all that got ruined , but like I was saying I have mixed feelings with these turbos ,I absolutely love a good turbo sound , maybe not to the point of putting a small V6 turbo in a F1 car ,
Maybe a V8 or V10 turbo would suit more ,
but I remember stories of old BMW engine blocks been left outside for people to pea on to harden the blocks , old 1.5 turbos I think they was back in the 80,s ,

F1 should be loud / dangerous and obviously fast , no matter what discussion or topic there is regarding F1 its always a pleasure to read , this thread to me personally just feels wrong , that shield like I say was cool looking I did not mind it ,

This Halo concept was created by a moron ,
But why is there pictures of multiple teams all testing this Halo design ?
and why was only Ferrari and Vettel testing this shield on FP1 ?
Maybe Vettel is just bias to this idea ,
oh no I feel sick and dizzy , come on people ,
give it all teams to use in FP1 and get feedback from everyone at once then decide what is what ?

CanopyFerrariF1c-1024x640.jpg

It would be better to have cars like this than the **** of the HALO
future-formula-1-concept-earns-closed-cockpit-honda-mclaren-livery-photo-gallery_1.jpg

Yes, a bit of ugly bodywork will totally and instantly ruin the sport. You guys are ridiculous. It's not half as bad, aesthetically, as the fin and T-wing. ;)

Beyond this massive outpouring of overdramatic hyperbole, though, I agree with you all. Paul's last post pretty much sums it up for me. Took the words right out of my mouth, as we say. :thumbsup:

I agree with the people who say it's an horrible solution and it should have been developed and enhanced through the past years, before using it now, ridiculous as it is.

I also wonder how distracting can be that middle bar to the driver's visual. :mad::speechless:

Everything is fine with the current cars, I even got used to the fins, but the rest is good: the wider cars, the bigger tires, even the sound is ok imo. But why not test the shield a bit more, why has Todt to cancel its development and hush Halo for 2018?

I hate the halo as much as the next guy, but the statement also says that FIA and teams will work together on making enhancements to the prototype design. Perhaps it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Still bad, but not soul crushingly bad.

I'm a bit disappointed with this decision by the governing body.
Much as I'd like to see some form of head protection, this isn't it.
I can see very, very little benefit to driver's head protection with this device.
The darn thing is mostly open, with a small sliver of deflection tolerance right down the center.
The only thing the halo would protect against is something like a tire.
It certainly will not protect against a bolt, spring etc... or something comparable in size striking a face-shield at 190+ mph.
This proposal is akin to 'The dog ate my homework' as a solution after all the past discussion.
They've done absolutely nothing here.

Perhaps it´s time to ask us some questions:
Is FIA good for motorsports?
Is ist usefull to have a self proclaimed monopolist like FIA?
Do we agree that motorsports is dangerous(even could be fatal) and that everyone who takes part accepts the risks?
Do we need more non FIA series like former BPR GT or Interseries?

I dont really care what or which solution will be chosen, this is their job as drivers and as such it should be made as safe as possible. It's not a game where they should accept an unnecessary risc of dying just to please an audience. To turn down any viable solution because of estetics is in my mind just egoistic. If the halo direct just one tyre off from a drivers head, the solution have earned it's cost.
Doing something is always better than doing nothing.

I wonder what Chase Carey thinks about that?
Trying to make F1 attractive again since a short time and then Todt comes and says ”F*** it!“ :D

People were very vocals in complaining about fins and T things this season. After a few races they did not care anymore.

Whenever there is something new, people claim that it is too ugly, that it spells the end of F1, that they wo'nt watch any race any more, etc. And the following season they say the same thing.... ^^

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back