Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

forcing this (ostensibly) so suddenly is my issue. was it perfectly good-to-go & the windscreen just to see if something sleeker could possibly work? even assuming that, how were vettel's 2 laps on one concept definitive in closing the book on it?

ofc aero will now have to be completely reviewed & probably revised/rehauled, but this seems like very good ammo for everyone who thought this was very little more than an empty gesture to driver safety in the first place.

Well, at least I won't have to get up early on Sundays anymore to watch this crap. :rolleyes: Poorest decision I've seen in a while, the thing looks absolutely horrendous and has a massive flaw in the way that it doesn't protect against small objects that can still sneak their way through the gaps.

See ya F1.

Just do a closed-cockpit car. It will be prettier, and maybe faster. There's some good references on the net with some cool concepts and of course Red Bull creations.

View attachment 202558
f9v11

^ infinitely better than the halo horse crap.

The only thing keeping me from losing my mind is the confidence these will be off before the 2018 season is over.

This has all the symptoms of a decision rushed through just to do 'something' about the head protection.

Hopefully they can find a better solution in the years to come, because this Halo design is probably the worst of the lot.

I'm sort of surprised by the completely one-sided nature of these comments.
**** it if it's not 'as pretty'. Tbh, you have no way of knowing how these are actually going to be implemented at this point. They have stated that the halo is going to be introduced in 2018, that's pretty much it. I'll be looking to see what the individual teams actually figure out.
And that's just one tiny point. Who the f*ck cares how the cars looks and sounds. If you're watching on the TV, sound doens't make the slightest bit of difference anyway (volume wise).

Looks, meh, that's subjective. I believe these could look pretty cool if done right. There's been alot 'worse' done to f1 cars back in the day. Wether that was to make them faster or safer, who cares, we're still here and F1 is still awesome.

Also, I think it's pathetic rooting for unsafe racing. And why should FIA NOT rush a safety feature?
Taking the example of Jules Bianchi in 2014. Who knows if the halo would've helped, you have no way of knowing. Chances are, it probably wouldn't have done the opposite.

To say that FIA should keep trying to develop a solution for this is fine. But to say that they should NOT introduce anything UNTIL whatever artificial time barrier that you have in your mind, is complete horse ****. Infact I think it's worrying they did not respond sooner than they have. In 2018 it will be almost 4 years since the accident in Japan. Before that it was Massa in 2008. Do you want to see another driver getting injured or even killed like this, before the introduction of this?...

No, in my mind, every injury just makes the sport worse. Makes you question wether it's worth it or not. Crashes are exciting, but only until you find out that someone was actually really injured. Not fun anymore.

Those are my thoughts.
Cheers

They just won't be happy until all the fans are gone. :(
-V6 hybrids
-Halo's
-Limited field
-Aero that limits passing

Guess i'll watch more IMSA, Pirelli and GT3. Hell, even BTCC.

This so called "Solution" is nothing but a waste of resources, if they, the powers that govern F1 want to increase safety then maybe they should take a look at the reducing the plethora of aero components that can launch off the cars in an incident/accident.

Watching the British GP showed this when, I think Massa during FP2, went wide, ran over the ripple strip which ripped some carbon fibre components off the car which broke up and went airborne, if another car was close behind him as it would/could be in racing conditions, they would of hit the flying components, no "HALO" could of stopped that debris from entering the cockpit area and potentially impact the drivers helmet.

So before they go screwing up F1 any further, maybe they should re-evaluate the components that can break away, like the numerous winglets on the front wing, it only takes a small contact to tear them away from the wing, which just puts debris on track, creating unsafe conditions due to the high speeds.

Next FIA mandate.....all drivers must drive two-seater cars and the drivers' mother must sit in the back. :whistling:
Attn Codemasters and all modders.....please make the halo optional for all 2018 F1 cars.
We do not want to see our heroes injured or killed, but where does it end........the road to hell is paved..........

After 2 and 1/2 decades of beeing a F1-Fan, I will completely go into IndyCar. They have the better competition and you can watch every race on their official YT-Channel for free.

With the 2017 design, they took a step into the right direction. But with the Halo, this step will be negotiated.

It will be negotiated by the giant gorilla in the room that the FIA (idiot bureaucrats plus an idiot leader) did not consider...the fans. Liberty is cringing right now, for sure. My guess is that once the giant sucking sound that are fans moving to other series' (IndyCar, as predicted, will blow up, especially since they have new, rear-bumperless, sleeker, faster cars coming...with talk of going to China, Europe, and South America), then Liberty will be in the position of either pressuring the FIA to get rid of this joke of a decision or get another sanctioning body. And don't think they won't. I'll not watch a single race as long as they have non-open cockpits. If IndyCar does it too, I'll stop watching them too. There is no reason to make driving more dangerous, as this debacle does.

it's a joke nooo.... bye bye formula one for me, the safety of driver it's a good thing, but this...**** on a f1 car...how is the view of driver with this thing in the center ????

I'm sort of surprised by the completely one-sided nature of these comments.

Who the f*ck cares how the cars looks and sounds. If you're watching on the TV, sound doens't make the slightest bit of difference anyway (volume wise).

Those are my thoughts.
Cheers

Don't be suprised, because it looks like a global opinion, since 9 out of 10 teams voted no, and even in a small community like RD almost everyone shares that vision, so feels like both extremes of the f1 spectrum share the same feeling "is fundamental to debate safety, but this is the wrong step to take"

And I totally have to disagree with you, if you say that sound does not matter when wacthing on tv, because I never search a video in YT to enjoy the sound of the new hybrid engines after I saw them on tv, but I lost the count of how many times I just wanted to listen to the mighty v10's again! just by talking of them I already want to see some action of hakkinen vs schumacher :p

I still remember the incident with Felipe Massa at Imola and a lost spring that pierced his helmet.

Aside from the Halo being very unpleasant to look at - is it the best compromise for the widest range of additional driver protection or could a well designed fighter cockpit style canopy be both more protective and more pleasing to the eye?

I also understand that the Halo is a mandatory unified design, so once implemented all teams are stuck with it?

As a full disclosure:
I have been a big F1 fan in the past and although I hold subscriptions to several pay to view services for this years season I have willingly missed several of the recent F1 races in favor of other activities as F1 really doesn't excite me much any longer.

Take for example last weekends WEC race 6h at the Nürburgring - I spend the full 6h glued to the live stream and watched the life timing in the WEC app and monitored twitter and thoroughly enjoyed the RLM commentary.

THIS is how motorsport is doing excitement, not what F1 has become very unfortunately - it used to be a wonderful sport to follow.
To be honest though, the biggest turnoff in modern F1 is not the politics, the car design or the engine sound - it is the lack of interesting characters in the drivers rooster.
It seems these days that social media diddling hipster mommy boy complainer princesses are more interesting to the general public as the real men and women who fought real battles ON the track and not post-race in the media.

I miss the good old times with great racing and true emotions and could do without the nonsense of the modern F1.

Last edited:
Will sims be implementing a Halo on/off button? Yet another key to bind. I bet Microsoft's lawyers are already planning to sue over the simple use of the word or bad representation of "Halo". Seems that the master chiefs of F1 should take some time to sit in a car to see how things appear

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back