Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

I can't believe this is the best 2017 engineering could've come up with ... this is embarassing!! it looks like some postmodernist piece of "art", incoherent, ugly ... do they even need this ? the answer is easy ! NO, they don't ... this is as eye-harming as a debri in the face.

Ohh man they ruined the F1 !!! It´s not that I wanna see Drivers dying on the Track, but it is Motorsport !!! The Look is just silly, even the "Shield" Looks much better. Another great idea from Jean Todt after the new great let us Change the World rules for the LMP1´s at the WEC, especially Le Mans.

OK... Why oh Why ?

I can understand safety aspect, this is a response i forgot the drivers name, at suzuka i think went off in gravel trap it was raining and i think another car went off after him and the teathers from that car for tyres did not hold, so the tyre hit the first car that was off in the drivers head, he died later in hospital...

F1 has become more safe, why they dont look at the tire teathers, as that was the cause....

Is not motor racing meant to be fast and reasonably safe.... these measures are not good for drivers, viewing in different conditions could be hampered... what happens if the halo breaks then ?

They get F1 to a good state with the new size cars and formula... and now the introduce this... more money involved and viewers will feel this is becoming a joke ?

Does it mean lower formulas and indycar will introduce this as well. i suspect not...

Why oh Why ?

Oh geeeeessss see what you did again....

No doubt will be a drawn out saga, as everything in F1 tends to be.....
Lets hope the drivers boycott this, if they want to leave it upto them to use it, or risk without it

Like everything in F1... someone will find a way to make the car faster with a halo

adrian_newey_obe_04042012.jpg
yep put some wings on it. Redbull wings make you go faster, ha ha

I can understand safety aspect, this is a response i forgot the drivers name, at suzuka i think went off in gravel trap it was raining and i think another car went off after him and the teathers from that car for tyres did not hold, so the tyre hit the first car that was off in the drivers head, he died later in hospital...

I think you're talking about Jules Bianchi, who ran into the back of a front loader.

IMO, that was a failure of process... not car engineering. The virtual safety car was deployed and he did not yield to the appropriate speed. Charlie Whiting should have deployed the actual safety car considering the worsening conditions and location of the crash. The marshals brought in the heavy loader for the job, but that was not properly communicated to race control. Etc etc etc.

Just do a closed-cockpit car. It will be prettier, and maybe faster. There's some good references on the net with some cool concepts and of course Red Bull creations.

gran_turismo_red_bull_x2014_standard_by_thetalkinganus-d7423db.jpg
f9v11

I'm pretty sure a FIA representative reads RaceDepartment comments and hates us with all his strength.

-

It's like blocking the sun with a strainer/sieve.

Yep thats how it was i remember... i think before that happened, a car before went off in the same corner, very said, however well said !

Lets be honest motorsport is fast and can be dangerous... isnt thats why we all love it... to be the best you can be...

As drivers and families who enter this sport, they should know the risk... sad to say... these things happen...

I remember when Senna died, months and years later, they tried to try the Williams team in court for his death... how ridiculous was that... it just leaves a sour taste in the mouth for us fan and teams and everyone who works and breaths motorsport.

Motorsport is a passion, to take something and then take it to the limit, doing something like this in any sport is not a 100% safe...

I think you're talking about Jules Bianchi, who ran into the back of a front loader.

IMO, that was a failure of process... not car engineering. The virtual safety car was deployed and he did not yield to the appropriate speed. Charlie Whiting should have deployed the actual safety car considering the worsening conditions and location of the crash. The marshals brought in the heavy loader for the job, but that was not properly communicated to race control. Etc etc etc.

F1 is an open cockpit series. Halo looks daft and I am sure all the drivers know the risks when they get in the cars as they are now. I realize the sport needs to take reasonable steps to ensure driver safety but after all the tarmac run offs and sanitation of the sport I feel halo is a step too far. Needless to say I am not a fan of it...

While I agree it looks awful, I think the main thing this device is trying to do is protect drivers from serious head injuries by bigger objects (for example loose tyres or maybe even a front wing or a whole other car). Smaller objects will still be an issue, which I think is needed in F1 still - and I think that's why it's better than all the glassshields or whatever, any "glassshield" will make the car closed, even if it still says "open", and you should still have the small fear inside that some small debris could hit you heavy. (I know I worded it badly, I just don't know how to express my thoughts in English properly now. Basically, drivers still need to have some caution, which IMO all the "glassshields" remove.)

More than really ugly, and unfortunately I'm almost sure that the halo would not have saved Jules Bianchi.
Just plain stupid but very representative of our times!
Maybe soon they'll simply cancelled motorbike racing or add kid training wheels on the sides!

Also i think tyre hit him before... im sure it was

Yep thats how it was i remember... i think before that happened, a car before went off in the same corner, very said, however well said !

Lets be honest motorsport is fast and can be dangerous... isnt thats why we all love it... to be the best you can be...

As drivers and families who enter this sport, they should know the risk... sad to say... these things happen...

I remember when Senna died, months and years later, they tried to try the Williams team in court for his death... how ridiculous was that... it just leaves a sour taste in the mouth for us fan and teams and everyone who works and breaths motorsport.

Motorsport is a passion, to take something and then take it to the limit, doing something like this in any sport is not a 100% safe...

While I agree it looks awful, I think the main thing this device is trying to do is protect drivers from serious head injuries by bigger objects (for example loose tyres or maybe even a front wing or a whole other car). Smaller objects will still be an issue, which I think is needed in F1 still - and I think that's why it's better than all the glassshields or whatever, any "glassshield" will make the car closed, even if it still says "open", and you should still have the small fear inside that some small debris could hit you heavy. (I know I worded it badly, I just don't know how to express my thoughts in English properly now. Basically, drivers still need to have some caution, which IMO all the "glassshields" remove.)

Glass shield Vettel tested, he said too much distorsion and glare... not feesable at those speeds... also that it was rounded does not help....

To be honest the FIA have messed up the sport... to technical the regs...

• Deleted member 6919

What a bad decision, just looks bloody awful, is this based around Vettel's test only?

i suppose it was, remember they could play about with composition of material for the plastic glass.... as it was prototype, they need more testing, from other teams as well...

To proove my point, the sport is expesive.... and adding this crap, makes it even more in development costs.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back