Haas F1 Refugee Gutierrez to make Formula E Bow

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
EG Formula E Signing.jpg

Former Sauber and Haas F1 driver Esteban Gutierrez has signed to race the all electric Formula E Series it has been announced in Mexico, starting with selected rounds this season as a precursor to a full championship assault next year.

With the affable Mexican finding himself without a drive in Formula One following his exit from the Haas F1 team, it appears that the lure of the fully electric Formula E Series has become too much of a temptation to resist. Although the initial deal appears to be for a select number of rounds in the current campaign, Gutierrez will no doubt be casting his eye towards his home event in Mexico on April 1st. It is expected the driver will embark upon a testing programme prior to his homecoming race at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit, with an at least one more appearance scheduled in New York before the season draws to a close at Montreal in July.

"I'll do the Mexico race, and probably others in preparation for the 2018 season," said Gutierrez.​

"It's an exciting future for my career. I feel very proud of being a part of this new tendency of electric cars."
Gutierrez joins a long list of former Grand Prix drivers to appear in the fairly new series, with no less than seven other ex-F1 drivers due to take to the track alongside the 25-year-old Mexican racer, including reigning champion and former Toro Rosso driver Sebastien Buemi

The deal to contest part of the 2017/18 season has been arranged to get Gutierrez comfortable in his new environment following his switch from Formula One, prior to an expected full time drive in the series next year. No team has yet confirmed the driver for one of its cars.

The full press release from Formula E can be read below:

"Esteban Gutierrez will join the FIA Formula E Championship and make the transition to the all-electric racing series for a number of select events for the remainder of the season, including the Mexico City ePrix on April 1.

The 25-year-old Mexican star - who has previously raced in Formula 1 and GP2 - will get behind the wheel of a fully-electric car in front of his home fans for the second running of the Mexico City ePrix at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, and the inaugural New York City ePrix in July.

Gutierrez joins the series as an official ambassador and is in advanced discussions with a number of teams, currently analysing potential options with a view to secure a full entry for the 2017/18 season"
EG 2013.jpg
EG 2014.jpg
EG 2015.jpg
EG 2016.jpg

Check the Formula E sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and community discussion regarding this growing open wheel championship. With a field of exceptionally talented drivers, twisting city centre locations and unique electric racing vehicles, Formula E is making quite an impression and looks to be here to stay.

Are you sad to see Gutierrez leave Formula One? Do you think he will be successful in Formula E? Is the move good news for the series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
No-shame at all, is that Carlos Slim to his right? ...walking along with the check book...

Probably interesting for the next eRace, though, Gutierrez I believe used to be in race2play a lot... :roflmao::roflmao:

No, i've thought about it and Formula E Bow is definitely some kind of energy drink/cider combination. I expect to see it written on oversized caps and sponsoring 'extreme' events like Roller Darts and Rhythmic Parkour soon enough.

I don't quite get this "pay driver" tag. At least in this case.
Are you suggesting that Ferrari has start to hire them too these days ?
He was working as their test driver for those who didn't know. I mean...
I know they pretty down low now but I've never thought they're that deep. :rolleyes:

no will not miss him. F1 seat should be earned with progression of the car or results & unfortunately for him it did not happen imo.
Not sure how an unwanted f1 driver is really good news for formula E either :O_o: he will basically be doing 4 or 5 "I'm a celebrity f1 driver !! get me outta here" promotional races before picking or being told which car he can have in 2018.
If Estoban is formula E celebrity driver then I would face palm myself :speechless:

Good luck though Mr Gutierrez you a had a job I could only ever dream about :inlove: wish him lots of luck in whatever he chooses :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%