H-Patter Option in Advenced Controls

Gevatter

The James May of Simracing
Premium
Changing from a sequentially shifted car to an H-pattern car I always have to got the the advanced control options to change the H-Pattern option. I like to try out stuff, so I change frequently, and although it's only very minor, it gets on my nerve to be honest. I've also never seen that option in other games.

Does anybody know the reason for that option and is there a way around it maybe?

I guess there's two ways to look at this. On one hand, in R3E you have to hit ESC, go to options and switch H-pattern ON/OFF. The R3E default isn't driven by the IRL car design, but if you want to drive an IRL car with paddle shifter with an H-pattern you can. On the other hand, like in AC, you can't switch to your preferred (at least I haven't found it) if it isn't what the IRL car uses - if the car is an H-pattern IRL you can't use paddles (if you have USE SEPATE SHIFTER on, as I always do). A couple weeks ago I had my TM8A disconnected and I could drive the historical car I had selected, until I got out of the race and switched the external option off.
I agree R3E isn't ideal but it's quick to switch. I don't know what I prefer, R3E or AC's functionality. For simulation value, I do like how AC predetermines based on IRL but it can be annoying also.

I do prefer AC's approach, where it forces you to use the real option as long as you have the apropriate hardware available, but thats not what I meant originally.

What I mean is that it could also work like it does eg in AMS, where I can drive any car how I want without having to switch it in the options menu. The buttons I assign to 1st gear, 2nd gear etc seem to be configured to be active as long as they are pressed in AMS automatically, where as in R3E I need to enable that functionality manually.

On the other hand, like in AC, you can't switch to your preferred (at least I haven't found it) if it isn't what the IRL car uses

Sure you can, I do it all the time in AC. I have a controller profile for paddles, one for sequential, and one for h-gate and I just load up whichever one I want to use. On the paddles and sequential profiles I did not map the clutch or h-gate shifter so the game doesn't even know they exist and as such doesn't force me to use them if I don't want to. I do the same thing in R3E, I have a profile for paddles, one for sequential, one for h-gate and I just load up whichever one I want to use. :thumbsup:

Sure you can, I do it all the time in AC. I have a controller profile for paddles, one for sequential, and one for h-gate and I just load up whichever one I want to use. On the paddles and sequential profiles I did not map the clutch or h-gate shifter so the game doesn't even know they exist and as such doesn't force me to use them if I don't want to. I do the same thing in R3E, I have a profile for paddles, one for sequential, one for h-gate and I just load up whichever one I want to use. :thumbsup:
Yes, I understand you can create multiple profiles but you have to back out of your session (race, etc.) to change controller profile, do you not? Once you start a race for example, if you realize that you can't use paddles you have to back out to switch profiles.

As @Gevatter mentions as an example (AMS) both shifting methods are available, either can be used at any time. I realized this also (rF2 is the same as AMS) but I used AC in my example of another current sim.

I personally don't have a problem with the quick switch in R3E (don't have to restart a session, just access options) as many times I make up my mind a head of time on which I would like to use, even though I may pick a car that the selected method many not be available IRL. I guess AC's method to force to the IRL method is good if you prefer only the IRL valid methods but this frustrates me at times. AMS/rF2 I guess makes it the easiest to switch but I find myself switching inadvertently during a gaming session if not thinking about it.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand you can create multiple profiles but you have to back out of your session (race, etc.) to change controller profile, do you not? Once you start a race for example, if you realize that you can't use paddles you have to back out to switch profiles.

In theory, yes, but whenever I pick a car I then pick the shifter profile I want to use with it so I never have to back out of a session to change it. I realize it's not the most elegant solution but this is how I setup my sims when I first got into PC racing so I don't know any different.

In theory, yes, but whenever I pick a car I then pick the shifter profile I want to use with it so I never have to back out of a session to change it. I realize it's not the most elegant solution but this is how I setup my sims when I first got into PC racing so I don't know any different.
Ok, thanks. Then AC is similar to R3E, but for different reasons, sequential or h-pattern don't work at the same time like AMS/rF2, it's one or the other.

Ok, thanks. Then AC is similar to R3E, but for different reasons, sequential or h-pattern don't work at the same time like AMS/rF2, it's one or the other.

I've never had mine setup in the "correct" way so I don't know the differences between the sims or if you're allowed to have both at once. :roflmao: As far as how I have it setup, AC and R3E are pretty much the same except with R3E I can change profiles from the pause screen if I do forget to change it beforehand. I know my way is abnormal but since I like to be in control of which shifting method I use it works for me.

I can't say it exactly annoys me to have to switch manually, but a better way of handling it would be nice. Personally, I like the way AMS does it, allowing you to use whatever you like, whenever you like, with no need for menus. Although I use whatever the real car has 99% of the time, I don't like being forced to do things so the freedom to choose on the fly is nice.

pCars and AMS do it best, personally. And if anything pCars is ahead b/c if I'm in a car that should be H-box, and I'm using paddles, it adds a delay, so I could actually be faster if I use the H-box, but I'm feeling lazy!

With so many car types in both of those games, I really appreciate that setup. R3E should move to that setup since I'm bouncing around between new and old cars all the time. I have even *told* AC I have an H-box option as the profile switching method is the most annoying of the 3 setups.

Again, we're so spoiled...

I usually use auto clutch, so the delay is probably equal in AC no matter the method. But in pCars, I can at least speed shift with the H-box. Again, have I mentioned how spoiled we are.

My old geezer rant... I remember when the wheels didn't have FFB, and certain games needed 3dfx Voodoo cards, and others needed Rendition cards... And you modded IndyCar by editing driver.txt...

Well, talking sim controls history, I bought an analog joystick and re-wired it for my Amiga to be able to use analog controls in Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix as wheels were pretty much unheard of at that time. Bought my first bungee cord wheel in like 1997 or so for CMR, then got MS Sidewinder FFB wheel in 1999 or 2000 (which I was actually still using just a year ago), before finally "upgrading" at least to DFGT last year. BTW, that 17 year old Sidewinder still works perfectly fine - gave it to a friend a while back who was playing Euro Truck Simulator on a keyboard and is now starting to explore simracing thanks to finally having a wheel, even if simple and ancient.

Reactions: Wiz

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 8.0%
  • < 5 years