Guido van der Garde to Virgin F1?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
arton179-8874c.jpg

A lot of speculation here in the Dutch media about him signing a contact with Virgin F1. Not too fuzzed about him driving for Virgin tbh. Would rather have him in a better team as he has:
- the needed driving skills
- a lot of money (father in law is one of Holland's richest people)

And Virgin got the money too. Yea I heard about it from the Swedish media too.

Tbh I have not followed virgin's progress at all and there for I can't give my oppinion on this desision by Virgin. In the other hand I belive that all this seasons new teams most have found a much quicker car for 2011 and will be more competitive for sure. So lets hope that his driving skills will get to good use.

Btw wasn't it Guido van der Garde who won the GP2? and if I am not wrong he will be doing a few test laps on a F1 car since he won something on Abu Dhabi.

Sorry for my mistake.

The Greek TV says that Formula 1 teams are more and more turning to drivers with alot of sponsors on there back and it will end up with drivers you are relativly quick and who have very good sponsors to get a seat that an F1 team.

Van der Garde was a promising talent but he disappointed me this year, he was totally dominated by his team-mate Sergio Perez. In the first season half he was often getting in bottom top 8 in race 1 and therefore scoring big points for race 2 most of the time(thanks to the reversed grid). But later he totally sank, out of the points on his own or just getting bad luck.

Obviously if Virgin takes him it'll be mainly money based. I guess the 2nd drivers' talent doesn't matter much in the end for such a team, a good 1st driver should be enough to bring experience to the car's development and be there if there's an opportunity for points.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%