Guide to (re)starting iRacing cheap?

So yeah.. decided i really want to start iRacing since my first go at it on 2009. Now that i have good enough hardware to run the game and enough time to dedicate myself into it, only problem is that i dont really have enough money to put 1000's of euros into it.

So yeah, i assume someone here would know all the tips and tricks to saving money when restarting your iRacing career.

PS. my skill level is average so i wont be progressing in race classes too fast i believe.

Well any content you had purchased from your last sub will still be with you (if you're using the same username). I would say to save cash, only look at tgetting content that you would need to run series at your current license level, if money is an issue.

If you get to D license, you can earn credits for running a minimum number of weeks in official series.

Other than that, you would have to spend some cash to purchase required cars/tracks, but it is possible to keep the costs down.

1. keep your eyes open for promotions like "buy 75 $, get 25 for free", year sub for 75 (100$, 25 in credits back)
2. buy only D class car (Mustang if you like tin tops, skip barber if open wheels), or both :)
3. check which tracks are most popular and which are in D class this season
4. buy 3 or 6 items at once to get discount
5. have fun

I'd guess i'd be spending atleast a month in learning the MX-5 alone. Then i'd probably get the Mustang. How much does the set for the Mustang cost though? I assume theres plenty of tracks you need to get :)

@Hampus, i know i dont have the guts to touch the stuff like indycar or F1 so the maximum level of speed i'd aim for is the HPD ARX LMP2 car :)

Went for it and grabbed the 3 month subscription promotion. Managed to quickly test the game before it went down for maintenance but i've got an issue with my DFGT now. I cant feel any vibration/force feedback from it. I've looked up bout 10 profiler guides, tried them. Also ran the wizard in iR multiple times but still theres no vibration from cerbs/going off-road/braking. Its just all air until i hit the steering lock.​

Plenty of ways to go about it. You can progress to A in a matter of days if you want, but then you'd need to buy the appropriate content as well (at least one car and track per license). I would recommend progressing to D class as soon as possible, because this will give you the oppertunity to earn credits in iRacing. You get $4 per 8 weeks you race in a 12-week season. Once you get to B, you can earn $7 for B and up with a maximum of $10 per season ($40 per year). It will not cover all of your expenses, but at least it will go for a bit.

When you buy, buy in packages of 3 (10% discount) or even better: 6 (20% discount).

Buy the content that matches the series you want to drive.

This is the cheapest way to progress through iRacing

- Use a rookie car to get to a R4.0 level (which is an automatic promotion to Class D)
- Now, continue to use the Rookie car to get to a D4.0
- Purchase a Class C vehicle and race it until you get to a C4.0 level (which is an automatic promotion to Class B (the C car will fulfill the D MPR and the C MPR both)
- Now, continue to use the Class C vehicle to get to a B4.0
- Voila, purchase the Class A car and go racin! (the A car will fulfill the B MPR)

Using this tract, you only have to purchase two cars, the Class C and the Class A. You will, however, still need to purchase some tracks for the C and A to race on but you will spend far less than if you took a more traditional route (assuming your goal is to eventually race the Class A.)

That said, there have been many arguments against this method simply because you don't get as much experience moving up through the ranks. But, if you're on a budget and want to race the Class A car, it's the best way to go.

You could buy a game where you actually own the content you pay for :)

Rather then dump hundreds of dollars into something you need to pay monthly to borrow lol.

^^Above statement is true, but i understand their business model. I use iRacing aswell...but they are genius for setting the game up like this...they never actually have to give full use of their software to anyone unless they are paying monthly for it. Simply genius.

You could buy a game where you actually own the content you pay for :)

Rather then dump hundreds of dollars into something you need to pay monthly to borrow lol.

^^Above statement is true, but i understand their business model. I use iRacing aswell...but they are genius for setting the game up like this...they never actually have to give full use of their software to anyone unless they are paying monthly for it. Simply genius.
A bit of a useless comment, Keith, don't you agree. A guy asks how get through iRacing in a budgetary way and you tell him to not buy it at all...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%