GTX 295 problems

Stephen - The answer is quite clear as that PSU is severly underpowered to be running a GTX295 on. My GTX275 requires over 35A on the 12v, and the 295 is ALOT more power hungry.

This is the reason your rig is under performing, the PSU is bottlenecking the card severly. With that card you should be looking at 650w and upwards of a decent spec PSU.

Check the Corsair and Enermax PSU's out, although i run a Tagan BZ800W and they are very nice aswell.

No need to mess around the defragging, it's your PSU matey.

The power wattage is fine and can power that GTX295 It's more about the Amps of the PSU which is important and for sure it could be a problem.

The defrag and other stuff I asked him to check is just to get the basics out the way and try make sure it's not software / os related. ( Or hope it is as it's easier to fix ) Best to get the simple stuff out the way first before thinking of hardware problems.

The mimmum spec Nvidia recommend for the 295 is 620w ( decent brand PSU ) and as i stated that PSU is severly underpowered when it comes to the amps on the 12v, The GTX 295 requires 46 Amps +12 Volt, so time to upgrade the PSU mate so you can then really enjoy that card.

You could get away with using one of the 600w+ Corsairs as they have at least 50A on the +12v. But with the Quad maybe look at others, but the Corsai series should have more than enough for that card.

What exactly is the problem?

You are comparing system specs, you dont get the same framerates but are yours ridiculously low?
no mention of underlying software and other variables which will have a big effect on performance.

Choppy graphics, very low framerates, textures tearing?

Does Gunther tweak his system and not you, you know where im going, there are so many variables with so little information given its very hard to suggest you do anything.

as for the power supply, how can you tell without knowing what his system is drawing? after a little looking around max power draw for that card is just under 200 watts, which leaves 350+watts for the rest of the system, im pretty sure there is enuf there!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

GeForce GTX 260 | 280
A GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 38 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.
A GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

I may stand corrected, from guru 3d not nvidia!

i was wrong looking at the wrong card DOH! (edited and added)

Onboard sound, Im gonna guess that is the big hit there, im stuck using mine now due to operating system and driver constraints, but using xp,my onboard sound slowed everything down weent back to using an old sblive and the performance difference was unreal!

Just my thoughts!

... so more power means more frames? I dont understand why ;) because other games working well and i´ve got no freezes. I trust in what you´ve said, but maybe you could explain it a bit to me. I allways build my ricks myself and i normaly know what im doing, thats why i bought 550w :(

yesterday i started the System with onboard sound disabled, no changes
i´ve got no tearing, no flickering , but sometimes a big frame drop in GTRE aswell as in GTR2 where people telling me they have more frames with a lower rick, but same grafical adjustments.

while testing a mod günthar has about 15 frames more with ingame grafics maxed out and 6xAA. I only use 1xAA :(

and the card has 289 Watt max.

Stephan

I know a guy running the GTX295 fine with a HX520W, but of course it's Corsair and has the correct amps to power it.

So ye as Lee said try another PSU.
Yes agreed mate as the Corsairs are 100% stable and are alot more powerfull on the 12v than power output. I would say the 620w Corsair will do the job nicely.

... so more power means more frames? I dont understand why ;) because other games working well and i´ve got no freezes. I trust in what you´ve said, but maybe you could explain it a bit to me. I allways build my ricks myself and i normaly know what im doing, thats why i bought 550w :(

Stephan
If your card is not receving the power it needs to run at it's optimal performance then yes it will throttle the card. As said you should be looking at a PSU with at least 50A on the 12V+

Here's amps of your current PSU on the rails: ( 55A ? )

FileServer.php

Heh, well I know guy running that card on 520W corsair, however he's not overclocking at all like the OP is and has a E8400, which uses less power so it could possible be a problem. However the amps look fine as it's got a added total of 55A on the V12 rails.

Heh, well I know guy running that card on 520W corsair, however he's not overclocking at all like the OP is and has a E8400, which uses less power so it could possible be a problem. However the amps look fine as it's got a added total of 55A on the V12 rails.
Yeah thats what i was getting at, this guys running the same chip as me a Q9550 and the Corsairs are known to be alot more powerfull than they say on the tin. The GTX295 reference card pulls i think around 300w by itself. Nvidia don't put the power requirements there for no reason, you should be looking at the minimum 650w + with 50A with that card. The Corsair 620w obviously falls into that line of PSU's.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 404 40.0%