GTR EVO and Steam/LAN

Is there no way that a person can bypass the steam logon for the LAN option in GTR EVO .....my reason for asking this that bandwidth in South Africa is quiet expensive and i know of a few people that cannot do any international gaming because of limited BW.

Most do however have a very cheap local BW option which unfortunately does not work with steam.

Morgan McColl

• Matt Alpeter

never tried this before, but you can set steam to offline mode. go to file-> go offline. you can boot up GTR-E, but i'm not sure if it will let you play over lan.

edit: it works, but i'm not sure if that stops steam from going online, i think it just makes it appear that you are offline (so people don't message you and such)

Being offline with Steam stops the client from authenticating with the Steam servers. It uses cached login information, at least as far as I'm aware.
As for the GTRE issue, I guess to get an online game means going through the GTRE lobby, which may tell your connection it's international. The other players will probably be from around the globe too. If you want to create a LAN game with friends you know are local, try using Hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp
This creates a virtual LAN over the internet. It can be tricky to use sometimes, but most of the time it works "out of the box".

GTRe online installs cannot be launch with steam in offline mode. Had that problem when I moved house.

Make sure you enable port forwarding if you use Hamachi. It will initially use international data flow to log on the the central server and get information of the clients you need to connect to but the actually gaming data transfer from and to users of the network is direct so it should use the lo-tarrif local bandwidth rather than the international allocation you described above.

• Matt Crouch

GTRe online installs cannot be launch with steam in offline mode. Had that problem when I moved house.

Interesting because I used to play in public servers with steam in offline mode - when I had a terrible internet connection I would start in offline mode, then when it got better, enter the game and play fine without going back online. hmmmm. Sounds like it might be a subtly different situation though.

I just get a message that states Gtre is currently unavailable. I got round it by launching the game in a morning on the old birds mobile broadband before she went out, then closing steam. job done.

• Ratang McColl

Hey Matt im Morgans Brother and we often have a go on LAN .......How would a person use HAMACHI .....imean get past the steam logon issue for RACE07 that is

When it's running, you create a network with a name and password, and get other people to connect to that network. Then you create a LAN game, not an internet game. All the people connected to your Hamachi network should then be able to join the LAN game.
I admit you can run into some small problems, but their FAQ and forums are very helpful.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%