• "My mind is always racing." - Justin Bieber
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

GTR 3 by SimBin Coming in 2018

Discussion in 'GTR 3' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Juergen

Juergen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +78
    But this are images from RRRE with UE4?

2. Kostadin Kostadinov

Kostadin Kostadinov

Ratings:
    +100
    Found on the new SimBin page, under the text "GTR3 coming soon, 2018"
    Obviously they've used R3E assets to test the engine. I think they will continue to share assets, the tracks are perfectly fine models (not counting they aren't laser scanned).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +456
    Looks good in screen shots, would have to drive with those overdone stuff tho, hope they take care with these effects

4. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38

Ratings:
    +30
  5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,940
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Any one remember this little teaser from 2011?

7. Blimey

Blimey
    Banned

Ratings:
    +199
    yes, but its irrelevant now.

8. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Thanks for your comment. You are such a joy to this community. :thumbsup:

• Haha Haha x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. BarMotorsports

BarMotorsports

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah the word "compromise" is a scary term! Console guys already have a WORLD of GAMES to "PLAY" with... I know this is where the money is but damn, serious sim guys are still forced to dick around with half finished simulators that don't come close to GTR 2 and we're nearly two decades down the road and they are already talking "compromise" for next gen stuff???!!! I'm almost 60 and I don't know if I will ever get my dream SIM in my lifetime! :-(

• Like Like x 4
  10. Benutzername

Benutzername
    I breath a lot. I guess i just really like air. Premium

Ratings:
    +2,524
    I know right?

I am not a developer but i can not quite understand why noone has managed to make a game like GTR2 with todays physics. I wouldnt even care about the graphics, they still are ok although obviously not as good as todays games

• Like Like x 2
  11. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +259
    The original GTR had an Arcade mode. GTR2 had amateur and semi-pro as well as simulator mode. It let you choose whether you did all the practice and qualifying sessions and let you reduce the race length from the full 3 hour races. Compromise for the less hardcore is really nothing new. Don't worry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,067
    It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that console players have everything. I am one of them, and I can tell you that basically all we have are European cars and European tracks. On the PC side, of course, things are very different and it is a critical difference if you are a true race fan.

I oso that begs my question, are we going to see more South American tracks and a bunch of ovals in this release?

• Like Like x 1
  13. slingshot64

slingshot64
    Premium

Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks Paul , good reading.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smudge6530

Smudge6530
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    While I understand where you're coming from and wish things could stay the way they were, the whole dynamic of gaming has changed from the days of GTR2. Consoles have come a long way in tech terms and consequently hold a far larger share of the financial market than they did in 2006 when GTR2 was launched and the XBox360 was less than a year old.

This means that to make the money they need to progress to the next title, they need the extra (read as 'most of the') revenue from the sales to the console market; because there almost certainly wouldn't be enough cash from the sales to PC's hardcore driving fans alone.

The good news is that the driving genre on consoles has improved by leaps & bounds and is now limited more by the inability to allocate enough functions, because of the lack of buttons on the controllers, rather than the ability of the consoles to reflect a valid simulation of driving/racing.

What is galling is that this problem is more to do with the manufacturers of the consoles than the game developers (GD). If they (MS & Sony but mostly MS) were more open with the ability to use different ways to control the consoles/games, then the GD could write that into the games, i.e. allowing all the necessary functions for those with just a basic controller, and adding extra functions/commands for those who have the equipment; a good example of this, is PCars, where there are far many more functions & commands available to assign, than can actually be assigned to just one XBOne Controller or even a Wheel & Controller combined.

Let's hope Microsoft allow the use of more/multiple and more varied controllers with 'Scorpio'; I hate that I can't use a HOTAS for Elite on XBOne, like I do on PC.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Smudge6530

Smudge6530
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    For PC, I'm sure it will be mod-able... ,

... and on Consoles? _ Forget it!

16. Test.Pilot

Test.Pilot

Ratings:
    +0
    Those are good news, as long as it keeps the good feeling GTR2 has, and beeing able to mod, it´s fantastic news :)

17. Justin Davis

Justin Davis
    Premium

Ratings:
    +109
    Not trying to be debbie downer, as I'm really looking forward to GTR3 too, but I would not expect mod support. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening, I have a feeling it will be a closed ecosystem like RRRE.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +456
    I believe that too considering they'll license series rather than only cars. Times changed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Justin Davis

Justin Davis
    Premium

Ratings:
    +109
    Yeah they have changed. I don't think modding is really going to be a thing going forward in most sims. Maybe authorized third party mods from groups like URD or rF2's TPA program, but I really don't see modding like we are familiar with in sims like rFactor and GTR2 continuing.

Between the (potential) complexity of the physics modelling and the increased graphical fidelity of newer sims I don't think it's really feasible for the average hobbyist modder to produce content nowadays anyway. Obviously there are exceptions, and some lovely content has been created for rF2 and AC by hobbyists, but realistically, the days of huge mods of full race seasons including multiple cars and tracks I think are behind us. And nobody wants to drive the same 5, 10, even 15 year mods from rF1 or GPL on these modern engines, either.

The man hours needed to model and texture just one vehicle to current-gen standards alone has increased exponentially since the glory days of mods like WSC1970 and WSGT. Factor that in with collecting and applying real world data so the physics are at least comparable to default developer content and you're needing a dedicated, full-time team.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +456
    Agreed, I'm also a bit tired of depending on mods. Wish S397 could license like all the 12 main GT3 cars, TC1, GTE + DPi/P2 and some more of the slow open wheels. I'd be happy with that already :D
    I don't want to go PC2 but I guess there won't be any other choice :cry:
    GTR3 who knows when or if will actually appear :D

• Like Like x 2