GTC-65 Renault Alpine A110 & Shelby Daytona Coupe @ Philip Island - Thu 20th February

Steven Walker

Slowly getting better!
flyergtc65.jpg

Server name:
RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL2
Class: GTC-65 Renault Alpine A110 & Shelby Daytona Coupe
Track: Philip Island 2.763m / 4.446km (Download)
Extra Skins: GTC-65 Class (Download) + Daytona skins (Download)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock

Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (12 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.20 (12 laps)

Note1: CLUB RACING RULES for GTL. Please read the rules they have been updated 6/11/2013 and post a reply that you have read and understood the rules
Note 2: Only default liveries or the liveries that come with the mod please
Note 3: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 4: Race1 = Alpine. Race2 = Daytona.
Note 5:
We run Super-Pole qualification: You only get a single attempt to set a time (1 out-lap + 1 timed lap. NO IN LAP, Please press escape). If you mess it up, tough luck!

Server password: Click here
Racing rules: Click here

Entry List:
  1. Steve Walker
  2. Hans Sneep
  3. Jack Smith
  4. Knut Omdal Tveito
  5. Roland Warmenhoven
  6. Denis Betty
  7. Warren Dawes
  8. Yves Larose
  9. Krzysztof Babij
  10. Hiroshi Awazu
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver
Rules:
If you have not entered the server and driven a few laps with fellow drivers before we go to qualifying you are to late for that session. Please think of your fellow drivers and get out on track with them, watch how they drive, you can't race with guys you have not seen drive.
We ALL brake a little differently and drive the corners differently, get used to how they drive and then we can all race more safely.
If you drop out of the server during qualifying you can return.

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off i want to apologize to i think it was Yves that i tapped out on race one. It was a yellow Alpine. I have my replays disabled on my online copy of GTL to reduce micro studdering and my apologies to whoever i heavily smoked coming out of the pits as i was starting a hot lap during practice on race 2.

Didn't do all that well today, had a pretty bad race with the Alpine. I made some mistakes and fell way behind. Kept on making mistakes trying to catch up so i just ended up going to pits.

Race 2, i actually drove better with the Shelby than i did with the Alpine (scratching my head) :roflmao: and was doing ok up until my cat decided she wanted to hop up onto my lap:mad:

I tried to shoo her away but she hopped up anyways and when she did she dug her claws into my thigh, caused me to make a mistake. There on it just went downhill for me.

It was nice to be in 3rd place for a while there though:D, that is a rarity for me. All in all it was just nice to get together with you guys for i haven't been able to lately.

Hopefully i'll see you guys next week for Dijon.

Last edited:
Wow!!! That was a very challenging event. A rather sneaky choice of cars for this track by Steve, two cars with hugely different driving characteristics, making the transition from one to the other a real test. :devilish:
Another good turnout of the usual GTL gentlemen was sure to make it enjoyable though. :D

Race 1, Alpine: What a contrast to the Daytona, it had it's quirks but once you got used to it, the handling was superb for Phillip Island's sweeping bends. I expected Roland to have an edge on us since he had a little experience with it as his League car, but the surprise packet (sandbagging through Practice but starring in Qualy) was Steve.

I started from P4 but fluked a rocket start to jump to P2 by turn 1. From there on, the race pattern set in. Steve was in a class of his own, and slowly edged away into the distance, no chance for me to match him. However, Roland and I had a great race for the minor placings. I was working really hard to maintain a small 1 to 1.5 sec lead over Roland for most of the race, but with a couple to go, Roland put in a super lap and was all over my tail. All I could think of was to reach into the glovebox, and refresh myself on the "Roland school of defensive driving". Unfortunately, while I was doing that, I made a wee boo boo, lost the tail, and Roland was by in a flash.
Grats to Steve, a very fast winner, and WD to Roland for second. :thumbsup:

Race 2, Daytona: Now, I'll admit this car had me a little terrified. During practice, I struggled to put in one clean lap, but I figured if I was having trouble with it, surely the others are too. :barefoot:
Again, we had a standout qualy lap, this time from our V8 gun, Allan. With Rupe, Knut, and Steve not qualifying, I managed P2 with one of my rare clean laps.

Again, I fluked a great start and leaped into the lead, but that made me very uncomfortable with Allan on my tail and assuming he would be much quicker. I was relieved when Allan slipped past on lap 2, but this proved helpful, as it allowed me to hook onto his tail and try to follow his lines and brake spots. All I was hoping was that I could keep him in sight for a few laps to get a break on the others behind me. Surprisingly, Allan proved a good teacher, and I was able to stay with him for most of the race. Now I was thinking about Knut's comments about excess tyre wear for this car, and remembering my race with Allan last week in the GT350 (I had better tyre life), so maybe this might yet have an influence. Sure enough, my tyres starting crying and the car was getting even more tricky to drive, but still quite manageable. Hopefully Allan might be worse off by now.
Since we were at Phillip Island, I could hear the parochial crowd cheering on their fellow Aussie, but I still couldn't quite get the lead from Allan. Then, one of the spectators raced onto the track and poured some oil over Allan's racing line, and around he went. That gave me a 5 sec lead but Allan must have had another spill (more oil from the biased Aussie crowd maybe :whistling: ), which gave me a further 5 secs and the safety to tippy toe the Daytona home for the win.
Yay!! an Aussie win on an Aussie track for once. Maybe I'll like this Daytona after all :rolleyes:.
WD Allan and Steve for the podium. :thumbsup:

Thanks to the good group who joined, and big thanks to Steve for organising this beast of a challenge. :)
Special thanks to @Tim Ling for the great Daytona skins, it would have been dull to have us all the same :notworthy: .

Last edited:
Race 2, i actually drove better with the Shelby than i did with the Alpine (scratching my head) :roflmao: and was doing ok up until my cat decided she wanted to hop up onto my lap:mad:

"doing ok ", you were holding down a very comfortable 3rd place late in the race, and looked set for the podium. That was a great drive in what is one of the most difficult cars in GTL, you were doing very well indeed, Hiroshi. :thumbsup:

Didn't do all that well but It was fun to be a part of it all. Sorry to Denis in Race 1 for the side tap which caused you grief. I had good position coming to the corner but my car drifted out contacting SOME ONE??? I asked if I caused anyone grief but no one responded. Looking in the behind view for evidence of the accident, I went off track. Soon I saw Knut go....thinking he was the one I fouled I came back on track and continued. Later looking at the replay I see that it was not Knut but Denis who I bumped. Sorry for that.

Race 2. Did terrible in practice and qualie, so I choose a different setup for the race...normally not wise to do but my results were so poor the change could not hurt... and it did help. I managed to get my time in to the 15X"s during the race. The race seemed to have numerous place changes enabling me to advance up the latter a bit due to the misfortunes of others. The Shelby proved to be more difficult to drive than being forced to listen to one of Steve's Racing CD's or to one of his live concerts on TS.

WD podiums, Steve and Warren for the wins. Thanks Steve for the events. Cheers to all drivers.

Last edited:
While not as eventful as last Tuesday's, these were nice races again! And while the Alpine was familiar territory, the Shelby was not. At all.
So while in R1 I had few issues keeping the car on track, Warrens report says it all basically although my finishing 2nd was flattered as I was by far not the fastest Alpine pilot.

R2, driving the Shelby..., Now that, in a nutshell, was Understeer redefined:O_o:.
The transition from a light and nimble Alpine to this nose-heavy animal was quite a fight for most of us I think, and by P2 and Q2 end I still hadn't figured out how to keep it on the tarmac.. Which resulted in a number of grass/sandpit expeditions in the race and at some point me being happy I was on track alone as I could focus on driving this thing and not worrying about racing others..

Grats to everyone who succeeded in controlling this car, and Thanks to the staff and to all who were there!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back