GTC-65: Lotus 7 @ Donington Park - Tue 29 th October 2013

flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: 1 RACEDEPARTMENT.COM #R
Class: GTC-65 Lotus 7 series 1 ( Download )
Track: Donington Park National & GP( default )

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock

------------------------- Race 1 ---------------------------------
Track: National
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 2020 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 14 laps)
------------------------- Race 2 ----------------------------------
Track : GP
Practice start time: GMT 20.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.20 ( 14 laps )

Note1: CLUB RACING RULES for GTL Please Read
Note 2: Only liveries that come with the mod please
Note 3: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 4: Race 1 We will be racing the shorter National circuit
Note 5: Race 2 We will be racing the GP circuit
Note 5: We run Super-Pole qualification: You only get a single attempt to set a time (1 Out-lap + 1 timed lap). If you mess it up, tough luck!
Note 6: Watch your driving please

Server password:
click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Rupe Wilson
  2. Antonio Tavares
  3. Paul Bennett
  4. Hiroshi Awazu
  5. Dave Flower
  6. Steven Walker
  7. Allan Ramsbottom
  8. Guus Verver
  9. Peter van Zanten
  10. Denis Betty
  11. Hyji Sinderin R2
  12. Markus Hakamo
  13. Yves Larose
  14. Roland Warmenhoven
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
Rules:
If you have not entered the server and driven a few laps with fellow drivers before we go to qually you are to late for that session. Please think of your fellow drivers get out on track with them watch how they drive,
you can't race with guys you have not seen drive.
WE all brake a little different and drive the corners different , get used to how they drive and then we can all race safer.
if you drop out of the server during qually you can return
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Last edited:
As I predicted, these cars were a blast. The racing was nip and tuck and so close at times that I could read the dials of the other car.:laugh:

Q1 saw me all set to put in a fast time but unfortunately I cut the top corner leading onto the back straight so I backed out of it and put in a time that placed me in the middle of the pack.:redface:

Race 1: Got a decent start and made my way carefully up through the field to 3rd or 4th place where I caught up to @Dave Flower I think (I'll have to check the replay) and tried for several laps to get by but he was VERY tricky to pass. Eventually he made a mistake which gave me an easy pass and left me a few laps to try and catch @Antonio Tavares. That was as far as I could go because he was doing similar lap times to me and the gap stayed at a consistent 4 seconds.

Q2 had me in a bit of a quandary because I was fairly confident of my pace but unsure about how the car was handling around the first chicane of the longer track. In all my previous practice sessions I had only driven around the shorter circuit. I thought about just starting from the back and having some fun with the rest of the group but I finally decided to go for it and do a proper timed lap. How glad I was because all of a sudden I grasped how the car handled the last section of the track and gave me a pole winning time.:speechless:

Race 2: Everyone seemed to get away from the start very well and myself and the other front runners went into the first corner side by side.:D I just managed to keep first by the skin of my teeth and ran down into the dip in 1st place only to fluff it slightly and let @Guus Verver get a run on me.
So there was I in 2nd place with @Rupe Wilson breathing down my neck when he tried to follow Guus through on my inside but I didn't see that coming and turned for the apex squeezing him a little. Sorry m8 :sneaky:. It wasn't long before I went a little wide onto the grass on the run up to the top corner and let him through to drop me to 3rd spot.:(
It actually wasn't that bad because it allowed me to have one of my closest battles yet with Rupe trying to fend me off. I was trying everything I could think of to get by but his race craft was keeping me at bay very successfully.:thumbsup:
Unfortunately for me and him though, Rupe's shifter problems returned and he spun out on the apex of the last bend with me so close behind that I had nowhere to go.:rolleyes: We quickly sorted ourselves out and I put my foot down to try and catch up to the guys that had passed us while we were in a heap on the corner only to power it into a spin and end up nose in to the wall just before the pit entrance.:redface: Shades of "Austin Powers's Goldmember ensued with both me and Rupe having to do 8 point turns to get our front grilles out of the wall:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Anyway, there were still lots of laps left and lots of places to be made up so I set off with a vengeance and fairly quickly made my way up to @Dave Flower again but this time he was able to keep me behind him for quite a while. In the end I had to settle for 4th place after Dave made a mistake in the last section of the track.:laugh:

All in all it was a BRILLIANT night and I can't wait to take them out again. Thank you to everyone that turned up and well done to the winners and losers alike.:thumbsup:

Thanks all for (half) a fun race night. It felt really good to be on track with you guys again, I hope someday soon I can return to being a club regular again as obviously I'm getting rusty now to the point I can not keep up with the midpack guys anymore:D..
So far RL is still getting in the way of that though:(

My race.. well it wasn't much of a race. I did get a few practice laps in on Monday, but that didn't help me much. P1 and Q1 laptimes weren't too bad, within about 2 sec. of the leaders but like most races recently my old achilles heel was acting up again: keeping the car on the track, preferably facing the right direction.

In lap 1, I had to step off the gas mid-corner in Coppice to avoid contact with the guy in front, car didn't like that and spun offtrack on the inside. From last place, I could then catch up with Hiroshi and Paul in front because they had some troubles too, even managed to pass them, only to spin again and watch them drive by once more:cry:

Eventually managed to catch up and overtake again, and with Hiroshi quite close behind finished the race with a >15 sec gap in front. as everyone in front was also faster than me, so this is where I'd have ended up anyways, even without the spins :unsure:

This car, well, I haven't found the awesomeness of it yet, may need more miles in it. I think it needs smooth and consistent driving style, something I'm not really known for:roflmao::laugh:.
Regardless of that, it felt good to be back on track again:thumbsup:, so grats to the podium finishers and hope to CYA soon.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.7%