AC GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 8 June 2014

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Ashley was running the z4.

I think most of us were running shorter gears? Well i was anyway, if you want I can upload my settings I can but I wouldn't call them perfect.
Thanks @Michael Young. I'm looking for anything that can help us mid pack and back markers improve a bit. Like I said earlier, running the telemetry back is eye opening. Hopefully I can improve my time a bit. Just an amazing bit of fun I am having!

I think I ran 3 clicks towards the rear.

Interesting, why did you go in that direction?

Anyone get a screen shot of the results. Don't know why I'm so inept at remembering to do that lol.
My final bias was 72. I felt that the mp4 was stable enough to afford that extra nose dip on breaking giving more grip to front wheels on turn in. It kinda works but if you get it wrong it bites you harder in the ass due to more oversteer. High risk high reward.

My final bias was 72. I felt that the mp4 was stable enough to afford that extra nose dip on breaking giving more grip to front wheels on turn in. It kinda works but if you get it wrong it bites you harder in the ass due to more oversteer. High risk high reward.
I'm about to go in for a short session and will try both ways. I'll let you know if I improve my time.

Last edited:
Well it depends on your driving style really. I mean if your aggressive front would work well but if your finding the rear too twitchy you would opt for more rear break bias.

Yes it does. I still am trying to understand the car. Corner entry is the nightmare for me, particulary at the latest stage of race when the fuel weight changes the balance even more. I set softer back rebound and also increase the front rollbar, still not enough. I may be to hard on the rears under acceleration.

@Michael Young If you could upload your settings it would be great. Although Chris gave us a walkthrough on setting up cars several days ago, I am still kinda struggling about what I need to change to fix problems I have with the car. And to see if my setup is just way too out there or not :).

I wasn't sure if my tire pressure was too high/low or whatever. My main problem with the car was keeping the back end planted on the high speed turns. Weird thing is that I seemed to do fine in turn 1, although I didn't have the guts to take it completely flat out....but at copse, lifting wasn't enough to get around that corner, I had to lightly tap my brake to bring the nose around....but twice I forgot to do the light tap and drifted wide. I had previously upped the coast diff to try and help keep the back planted, but that may have cost me in the turn in there. I also increased the wing (probably too much) to accomplish the same.

Gonna have to take a look at some telemetry, because I really couldn't remember how to get around that track fast :). I couldn't remember where I should have been braking and/or downshifting in maggots/becketts, and generally made a mess of it (including a spin when i did a wrong downshift).

I said it last night in TS after the race, I am kinda amazed how our little group can usually get an entire first lap in without a major incident. I think just about every race on the EU races, they have a huge pileup in the first corner. I was kinda pissed that I forgot to load up shadowplay for the beginning of the race.

I had gotten a good start, better than Michael in front of me. I hesitated a little bit because he was warping slightly, but I tried to sneak upside him and I felt like there was someone to my right (I tried to look right but I had just remapped my button and hit the horn instead :/), and it looked like we were going to go 3 wide into the first turn. But somehow we made it through without incident...and I wish I had a replay of it cuz I wanted to see how it went down (AC LET US BE ABLE TO GET A FULL RACE REPLAY!!!!!! KTHXBAI!). I think I had gotten past Michael and maybe one more before the hairpin, but I gave it all back when I slid off at Copse :/.

Oh yea, here were the results I had:

jhfBaQN.jpg

I ran the MP4-12C GT3, and I just used a premade setup that I modified for myself. I think I was so fast because I practiced consistency, and love the track. We'll see if my speed follows me to the next race, or if it was a one-off thing. (It might have helped that Chris was running hards).

@Michael Young If you could upload your settings it would be great. Although Chris gave us a walkthrough on setting up cars several days ago, I am still kinda struggling about what I need to change to fix problems I have with the car. And to see if my setup is just way too out there or not :).

I wasn't sure if my tire pressure was too high/low or whatever. My main problem with the car was keeping the back end planted on the high speed turns. Weird thing is that I seemed to do fine in turn 1, although I didn't have the guts to take it completely flat out....but at copse, lifting wasn't enough to get around that corner, I had to lightly tap my brake to bring the nose around....but twice I forgot to do the light tap and drifted wide. I had previously upped the coast diff to try and help keep the back planted, but that may have cost me in the turn in there. I also increased the wing (probably too much) to accomplish the same.

Gonna have to take a look at some telemetry, because I really couldn't remember how to get around that track fast :). I couldn't remember where I should have been braking and/or downshifting in maggots/becketts, and generally made a mess of it (including a spin when i did a wrong downshift).

I said it last night in TS after the race, I am kinda amazed how our little group can usually get an entire first lap in without a major incident. I think just about every race on the EU races, they have a huge pileup in the first corner. I was kinda pissed that I forgot to load up shadowplay for the beginning of the race.

I had gotten a good start, better than Michael in front of me. I hesitated a little bit because he was warping slightly, but I tried to sneak upside him and I felt like there was someone to my right (I tried to look right but I had just remapped my button and hit the horn instead :/), and it looked like we were going to go 3 wide into the first turn. But somehow we made it through without incident...and I wish I had a replay of it cuz I wanted to see how it went down (AC LET US BE ABLE TO GET A FULL RACE REPLAY!!!!!! KTHXBAI!). I think I had gotten past Michael and maybe one more before the hairpin, but I gave it all back when I slid off at Copse :/.

I don't have exact setup cause I'm on my laptop but jist of it was:

-gear ratios shortened to redline on back straight.
-downforce was increased to about 9
-lowered front ride height to 18
-break bias --> 72
-more toe out (I think the value was like 5?)

I don't really touch the rebound and dampers. But I guess adjusting them would help running over kerbs all the time.

@Connor Greyser which car were you running? I can't remember who had the z4.

@Chris Stacey thanks so much for sharing that file! Just got done analyzing it for maybe the past half hour and I learned a ton.

First I didn't change my gearing ratio which cost me a lot. Did you run shorter gears because that what it looks like.

Second I'm not putting enough lock when I turn which is costing me a bunch of time also.

Third I need to get a better flow through Maggotts and Becketts. I am about to do a few laps in a few minutes to see if I can improve my time from the new information I have. LOL

Sim racing is by far the best gaming hobby out there!

@Saleem Hodge
Glad to hear it helped man!
I'll have to check this program out for myself, it sounds pretty dam useful!

- Yes I shortened my gear ratios. For a couple of reasons:
  • 1) Silverstone is a high downforce track, so aggressive gearing really helps get drive out of corners, but also to maintain your Vmax through the high speed corners, which is what Silverstone is all about: Cornering speed.
  • 2) It makes it tougher to get overtaken with more agressive gearing at a track like this because you'll reach your VMax much more quickly.
- I guess applying the right amount of steering lock is down to driving style, and practice practice and more practice? Haha. (Side note: the 12C has much more sensitive steering inputs, so you don't require as much steering lock compared to the Z4 GT3 which has considerably heavier steering and requires a lot of lock)

- If you can nail the Maggotts/Becketts section then you'll make up a TON of time. That's arguably the most important section on the track to hook up if you're on a banzai qualifying lap. Basically for me, how I approach it is:
  • On entry to Maggotts keep the car as far right as possible, in 6th gear.
  • Once you see the curbing on the left, aim for that and ride it for about 0.5 secs. Too much time will unbalance the car, and put you on the incorrect line for the rest of the corner complex.
  • Once you're off the curbing a slight dab of the brakes to keep the rear end stable for the right hand second part of Maggotts. Down shift to 5th. Again, Don't take too much curbing on this right hand section, as it can pinch the rear wheels a bit and send you into a spin.
  • Apply more braking to slow the car for the left hander of Becketts as it tightens up on corner exit. Downshift to 4th. Stay left on corner exit as it can help open up the final right hander.
  • For the final part, just leave it in fourth gear, hug the curbing on the inside of the right hander, and try to carry as much speed as possible to slingshot you as fast as possible through Chapel and thus carrying massive amounts of speed down the hanger straight.

Sim racing is bloody brilliant haha, loving the technical aspect :D

Last edited:
I wanted to watch a few videos before the race to remind me how the experts get around some of the corners, but life got in the way :). I think with maggots/becketts I was wary about braking and ended up going too straight into the first part, and slowing down too much for the second part. I was getting decent exits, but probably scrubbed too much speed earlier just to make sure I got through.

I have the replay of the later laps, and I should take a look on how you got through the complex.

I really need more practice everywhere, but it is so tempting to enter races instead of practicing :). I do need some practice because of the different physics with the latest update. Before the update, I don't think I have been aggressive enough with the steering in fear of upsetting things and losing control, but I seem to be able to catch things easier before they get too out of sorts now after the update. I have also been totally avoiding a lot of the curbs because of snap breakaways. It may have partly been due to my setups and partly because of earlier physics, but I need to start using the curbs a bit more.

This forum and the post race discussions will really help us.
I raced the Z4 (and was glad to have the advantage) but have now been testing with the MP4. Michael's brake bias change has shaved off 1.8 seconds alone.

Now I am dying to try more downforce and Chris's instructions for Maggot & Becketts.

Does anyone want my job? Its not a bad one, nice building, nice team, big American company. I just need way more time for SimRacing and this 9-5 rubbish is really getting in the way.

I agree man, can't wait for the next I ruin this one. Trying to cycle through the tracks but this combo was great. I always thought Silverstone was a low down force track. I was running my rear wing at five.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.8%