rF2 GT3 Club @ Road America - Friday 6th November 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
IFGttEw.jpg

Event Details:
Server:
RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GT3
Track: Road America
Car: Blancpain Endurance Series
(Templates), BOP Apex Modding GT3 (N24) (Sounds - REQUIRED) (Templates), BOP Nissan GT-R (N24), Corvette C6.R (N24)

Choose your poison on the day, and feel free to switch between cars during the practice session. You will have the following to choose from:
  • Audi R8 (LMS & Ultra version)
  • Ferrari F458
  • Ferrari F430
  • Mercedes SLS AMG GT3
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3
  • Porsche 997 GT3-R
  • BMW Z4 GT3
  • Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
  • Nissan Nismo GT-R GT3
  • Lamborghini Gallardo LP600+
  • N24 BOP Apex Modding GT3, by Apex Modding, @Frederic Schornstein et al.
  • N24 BOP Nissan GT-R & Chevrolet Corvette, by ISI, @Frederic Schornstein et al.

Weather:
Dry
Road condition: Rubber on track where possible
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel use: 1x (pit-stops will NOT be mandatory)
Mechanical failure: Time scaled

Assists
Traction control:
Low
ABS: Low
Auto-clutch: Allowed

Race
Practice:
19:30 GMT
Qualifying: 20:00 GMT - 20 minutes [NO Parc Fermé]
Warm up:
20:20 GMT - 5 minutes
Race: 20:30 GMT - 45 minutes [standing start]

Racedepartment Calendar: Click here
Server password: Click here
Racing rules: Click here
Clock GMT: Click here

Note: You must be a Premium member in order to participate. Upgrade your account here.

Sign-up list:
  1. Daiman Patel
  2. Stefan Woudenberg
  3. Paul Hurlow
  4. Frederic Schornstein
  5. Sten-Ake Svensson
  6. Joao Fernandes
  7. Andreas Oehrlich
  8. Enzo Fazzi
  9. Kostas Kaloudis
  10. Kjell Eilertsen *
  11. Marc Cabana *
  12. Rudolph Maré *
  13. Mark Breslin
  14. Tal Segal *
  15. Sharjeel Riaz
  16. Dimitris Liakouris
  17. Filotheos Arguriou
  18. Tero Dahlberg
  19. Phil Shillitoe
  20. Driver
  21. ...

Note: Please sign out well in time (at least 1 hour before the practise session begins) if you're unable to make the race. Thanks! :)

SERVER IS UP!

utp: 34

Hi Kane, thanks for expressing an interest in this event. However, before I can add you to the sign up list you must first become a Premium member. Please refer to the first post in this thread for more information about buying a Premium membership and joining races. :)

Very dissapointed to say the least.....

Had fun till Kostas had to correct his car in the right position and collected me. Major suspension damage... 120 seconds repairs.... When I was released from the pits I was already 1 lap down and just started race lap 2... Didn't wanted to continue with getting blue flags to unlap myself. :(

Spend a few hours to get myself a nice setup and looked forward to this race.... It was taken away from me by breaking some of the golden rules.... :mad:

TS was fun as ever to end with a positive note:thumbsup:

Well that was a race to forget.......ish!!?
Rushed to get a setup sorted, qualy went ok..........then I broke a golden rule and changed the setup for the race!!:whistling: This resulted in a corner that I could take flat in qualy, to sending the car skyward spinning multiple times in lap 2 of the race!!...........doh!:cry:
Limped backed to the pits with punctures and suspension damage, 65 secs for repair and dead last & lapped!!
Still had some fun trying to catch up, even got back into the top ten, when BANG !! Dropped down one too many gears and left my engine back at the previous corner!!:whistling:
Thx to @Daiman Patel and all.............till next time!?:thumbsup:

I finished the race with 19% on left front tyre. Is this normal?
I had only 2 tyres options available : softs / rain.
I chose softs. Was that wrong?

I had 14% left last week!
So yes it's normal......ish.!
Some drivers may actually pit because of tyres, and others will wonder what the fuss is all about.
It will all depend on the track, car type, setup and driving style. It's what I like the most about Rf2.!!

Ok i am new in this game. This is actually my 2nd ever race.
Still, in Assetto Corsa, there are many compounds for slicks.
I would expect that for dry races, there were be at least 2 compounds available. Softs and hards (or mediums) .
TBH i am can't even imagine how someone can keep softs last for 22 laps.
I am wondering, how race winner, who was exceptional, managed to do this...

I finished with 2% last week and I was doing similar laptimes till the end. I think the limited tire choice helped with balancing or something.

Ok i am new in this game. This is actually my 2nd ever race.
Still, in Assetto Corsa, there are many compounds for slicks.
I would expect that for dry races, there were be at least 2 compounds available. Softs and hards (or mediums) .
TBH i am can't even imagine how someone can keep softs last for 22 laps.
I am wondering, how race winner, who was exceptional, managed to do this...
Ok, forgetting about tyre compounds, as that can be down to car / race class, server setup etc.
For a crude example of tyre wear, last week 's win at Silverstone could have resulted in haveing to pit if I hadn't changed my cornering style with the car setup I had.
My usual style is to carry a lot of speed into a corner, usually 'trail braking'. This results in the weight being more on the front tyres , overheating them and wearing them out.
Changing to a conventional style by braking harder in a straight line and then holding the power while going through the corner, accelerating as soon as the car/corner allows keeps the weight off the fronts and so keeps the temp. and wear down.
Other ways to get round this, can be choice of car, set up etc.....

Can't comment on the available compounds either as I don't know. And we've got cars from 3 different sources/creators in use here. So that alone makes some differences. But having less compounds makes it less work to balance things out as already mentioned.

As for making tyres last they the key is thermal degradation; the hotter you run the tyres the more they will wear down. Thermal degradation kicks in before the optimal tyre temp for grip but obviously you want to keep the tyre temp at a point that offers most grip. But when you get over that temp you lose grip and the tyre wears down faster. And as the tyre wears down it'll have less grip and it's easier to slide it and that also makes it easier to overheat it.

You were overheating the left front tyre and that lead to excessive wear rate. You need to be especially careful the longer a corner is. At Road America the main "problem corner" is the Carousel. Left front temp can easily sky rocket there if you push hard all the way around it. And then it can't cool down much before the kink that is also pretty hard on the left front.

My Motec data from the race is actually pretty useful in showing and explaining this a bit. At the end of the race I wanted to see if I can push and get the fastest lap from @Mark Breslin :D Most of my laptimes were in the mid 04s throughout the race. But when I pushed on the last 3 laps I did a 03.9 and a 03.3 but then the last lap was a 04 again as the left front especially was too hot and it just didn't have enough grip.

Mark already wrote some tips on how to drive the car differently to not load the outside front too much. Of course balanced setup is also important but the outside front tyre is still the one taking most of the abuse.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: Forgot to go through the Motec data pic :D As you see I somehow managed take a ton of wear out of the left front on the outlap! But it must've happened when coming to the grid as I drove smoothly all the way around until then. I got a bit of a flatspot too which wasn't nice to have right from the start! :p

The left front is wearing out fastest every lap but on the final laps it's increased and you can also see the temp curves go up for the last 3 laps.

Attachments

• ISIVetteRoadAmericaMotec.gif
    ISIVetteRoadAmericaMotec.gif
    114.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Enjoyed the race, nice to see a 20+ grid :thumbsup:
My strategy was try to stay with @Tero Dahlberg for the first 5 laps or so, hope Tero make's a mistake then pounce :laugh:
But I didn't take into account Tero was such a machine in his driving :notworthy: he started to pull away after about 4/5 laps forcing me to push to keep up, that's when mistakes were creeping into my drive, pushed too hard one lap and lost alot of time. Only good thing was drivers behind me seemed to be making mistakes too so I had a cushion to play with.
Very happy to come home 2nd in the end :thumbsup:

Pretty good race. Nice gird. :thumbsup:
First half was a little more fun since i had other cars to battle for positions. It was also the time i pushed harder trying to stay with the cars in front and looking for an opportunity to overtake.
After a while things settled and on the second part of the race started to manage the car not over driving it and saving the tires. The gaps to the front and back stays consistent and not making any big mistakes it was fun bringing it to the finish line in third.

Fun race, had a great and long battle with @Joao Fernandes , but the constant sounds on TS disturbed me so bad I just couldn't concentrate anymore. But had a lot of fun before that!
Agreed, I didn't want to be the guy who reminded people about the "no chat during race" rule and I do have a mute TS button bound on my buttonbox, but TS is good for giving messages related to whats happening on track, it's just a bit distracting when people are bantering.

the constant sounds on TS disturbed me so bad I just couldn't concentrate anymore
Agreed, it's really annoying when someone's mic is picking up all the noises in the background, whether it's the egine, people talking, music, or the wheel rumbling.

I do have a mute TS button bound on my buttonbox, but TS is good for giving messages related to whats happening on track
I'll remember to use a mute button in the future, although I agree with you, I don't want to miss what everyone else has to say because of one person.

To me, the one and only solution I'd recommend to all those problems: use push-to-talk! It's easier for everyone. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 135 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 514 39.0%