AC GT2 / GT3 @ Algarve Circuit - 1h race - Sat 01.11.14

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi Nathaniel,

to your points:
This track is unsuited for any kind of a race.
I disagree.
This track in South Portugal is home to the Blancpain GT3 series - 5-7 September this year were the last races.
We already did at least one race on this track and it turned out fine as well. So it is a perfectly good place to race on.

Pit stops will be mandatory.
Nope, pit stops are not mandatory. One set of the GT3 Medium and the GT2 Medium/Hard compounds are able to cover the whole 1h race distance.

There penaltie zones are extremely bugged. It's really bad. In some corners you can't apex correctly, because you will get a penalty.
How are they bugged? At what specific corners?
It is perfectly justified to recieve a penalty, if you cut the corners too heavily. My test drives of multiple racing lines and going over these lines revealed no overreach of the penalty zones.
if anything, one can drive on the astroturf on all four wheels on some corner exits, without being prone to a penalty.

There are NO trackside objects to aid break and turn in points in the 2 most critical corners. (the fast right on the hill, and the slow left on the next hill before the main straight) The slow right isn't that bad, since you do have curbs and some lines to help, however due to the geometry of the track they are near impossible to see. I'd say a 3 screen setup will have a huge advantage here, because of the visibility)
Trackside objects being used as brakemarkes are just that: helpers. Don't be afraid to try different ones and learn from it. To be able to learn a new track is a quality expected in every (sim-) racing driver.

--But the biggest killer here is the turn portimao (or turn 11 on this map
1103px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_de_Algarve.svg.png
)
You come with high speeds into a breaking point on a crest. Not only do you battle severe oversteer, you have NO visual aids as to where to position yourself, leaving the driving here pure guesswork. Not good.
Blind corners don't make a track unusable (see Corkscrew, Laguna Seca), they're just features of a particular track that every driver has to cope with driving on it.
Again, learning when and where to brake is a process you learn by doing it, making mistakes and correcting them. You can't expect to take a previously unknown corner at (normal) racing speed on the first or second try.

So I'd like to ask the organizer of this race to reconsider moving the event to a different racetrack.
I consider tracks, before I feature them, not after I've posted the event thread.
If you don't like this track, then don't participate. It's your choice, really.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back