AC GT2/E @ VIR - Friday, August 25, 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Got stuck against the fence turn 3, by the time I pitted and got back out, I was just in the way of all the front runners, spent too much time trying to get out of the way.

So...the race start and in the second lap the car of Tariq teleport on mine (he lagged i guess), damaging my front and my rear slightly. The car then begins to act weird (probably because of the damage taken) and it spins in the last corner. I keep going, finally i reach second position again and i'm quite close to Dragos. Then a lapped guy, while not respecting the blue flag (followed him for an entire sector) decides to slow down in the uphill section with 4 turns. I have to brake and this makes me lose control of the car (again). I spin, hit the guy behind me and finish against the barrier. The car is completely destroyed. I'm sorry if i left but with what happened and the fact that it was 4am here, the car was too damaged and i was too frustrated to keep going.

P.s. For future races: the kerb is usually not considered part of the track, therefore riding it with 4 wheel is considered cutting. An admin can correct me if i'm wrong.

For the first time seeing VIR in more detail than a track map, and after driving home for a few hours irl right before driving VIR for the first time, that went pretty not-horrendously for me. Somehow. I really enjoy the circuit and it wasn't too hard to learn, but there are definitely a few turns that take lots of skill to master. Good balance.

Only problem is if you go wide (like really wide) in the fast right-left a few turns before the back straight, you'll be considered going the wrong way and get penalized. That cost me at least a minute, but ah well. Finished where I qualified, and I had a good time. Thanks for the race, and I'll see when I can drop by next time. :thumbsup:

good race guys, i accidentally held up a ferrari i believe - although i think it might have just been for position... this driver name bug is really a pain in the ass.. but really had a good time and few issues.

thanks to jeremy and bobby for setting it up

Awesome event, thanks to @Bobby Pennington and @Brewer for getting it organised:thumbsup:.
Was a cool race, full grid, and all drivers were on top of their game, T1 was a bit congested and the concertina affect caused a bit of mayhem. But once we all got settled in, it was awesome stuff, everyone having their different pitstop strategies made for an interesting race, started 22nd finished 12th gotta be happy with that, shame you missed it @Bobby Pennington :(

Looking forward to the next enduro, I love these events plenty of opportunity to recover if you have an off:thumbsup::whistling:.

So...the race start and in the second lap the car of Tariq teleport on mine (he lagged i guess), damaging my front and my rear slightly. The car then begins to act weird (probably because of the damage taken) and it spins in the last corner. I keep going, finally i reach second position again and i'm quite close to Dragos. Then a lapped guy, while not respecting the blue flag (followed him for an entire sector) decides to slow down in the uphill section with 4 turns. I have to brake and this makes me lose control of the car (again). I spin, hit the guy behind me and finish against the barrier. The car is completely destroyed. I'm sorry if i left but with what happened and the fact that it was 4am here, the car was too damaged and i was too frustrated to keep going.

P.s. For future races: the kerb is usually not considered part of the track, therefore riding it with 4 wheel is considered cutting. An admin can correct me if i'm wrong.
I watched the replay and he was going flat out there, probably had excessive downforce which was slowing him down too much, but I agree he should've let you pass well before that, ideally in T4 where you first caught up with him. On a narrow track like this one holding up a lapping car makes it losing too much time behind as there's not a whole lot of passing opportunities. And it doesn't make the blue flagged car a good service because the faster racer will then likely try to make a risky pass anywhere and it probably will force the lapped car to slow down much more than if they simply lifted off and made some space.

I also had some hairy moments with the cars I was lapping. Most of the guys respected the blue flag and made it easy, but a few were either too focused on the road ahead and didn't check their mirrors or simply didn't care. Blue flags are not advisory in single class races, they mean get the hell out of the way and if you might get lost in a race and don't know who's following you and are afraid of accidentally gifting your opponent a free pass I suggest to use real-time app which clearly shows who's behind, how far they are and whether they are on the same lap as you or not.

There're some curbs that clearly stick out into the tarmac (T3, fast downhill left turn approaching the big oak, tight right turn around the oak and maybe a couple of more. I think those curbs are the part of the track:

Last edited:
I watched the replay and he was going flat out there, probably had excessive downforce which was slowing him down too much, but I agree he should've let you pass well before that, ideally in T4 where you first caught up with him. On a narrow track like this one holding up a lapping car makes it losing too much time behind as there's not a whole lot of passing opportunities. And it doesn't make the blue flagged car a good service because the faster racer will then likely try to make a risky pass anywhere and it probably will force the lapped car to slow down much more than if they simply lifted off and made some space.

I also had some hairy moments with the cars I was lapping. Most of the guys respected the blue flag and made it easy, but a few were either too focused on the road ahead and didn't check their mirrors or simply didn't care. Blue flags are not advisory in single class races, they mean get the hell out of the way and if you might get lost in a race and don't know who's following you and are afraid of accidentally gifting your opponent a free pass I suggest to use real-time app which clearly shows who's behind, how far they are and whether they are on the same lap as you or not.

There're some curbs that clearly stick out into the tarmac (T3, fast downhill left turn approaching the big oak, tight right turn around the oak and maybe a couple of more. I think those curbs are the part of the track:
The curbs are not part of the track on RD, IRL it depends from the competition.
Anyway the blue flag appears on the top left of the screen, it's almost impossible to not notice. The realtime app shows the guy in green if he is a lap ahead and the virtual mirror should always be active. Also you should hear the sound of my car (at some point i was basically side by side with him). There are way too many things that tells you you have a car behind who is lapping you, so i don't think that the "too much focused" excuse is applicable. It also shows that he wasn't using helicorsa.
It doesn't matter if you are quick or slow, the first priority should always be others safety. I'm not addressing this comment to that guy in particular because i know that more than one person would have done something similar. In my opinion, realtime, helicorsa and virtual mirror should be mandatory.

The curbs are not part of the track on RD, IRL it depends from the competition.
Anyway the blue flag appears on the top left of the screen, it's almost impossible to not notice. The realtime app shows the guy in green if he is a lap ahead and the virtual mirror should always be active. Also you should hear the sound of my car (at some point i was basically side by side with him). There are way too many things that tells you you have a car behind who is lapping you, so i don't think that the "too much focused" excuse is applicable. It also shows that he wasn't using helicorsa.
It doesn't matter if you are quick or slow, the first priority should always be others safety. I'm not addressing this comment to that guy in particular because i know that more than one person would have done something similar. In my opinion, realtime, helicorsa and virtual mirror should be mandatory.

- When it comes to curbs, there were two places where they were part of the track in yesterday's race, as was demonstrated during practice by one of the admins.
- Blue flag is almost impossible to see for VR drivers, because it's situated behind their left ear.
- Virtual mirror doesn't work in VR.
- Helicorsa is not mandatory and frankly annoying in VR.

one thing that is being overlooked is the abysmal documentation for assetto corsa. realtime isn't explained ANYWHERE that i found, and in vr the flags aren't visible at all unless you happen to look pretty far back out of the upper driver side window. i went off when the lead pack came through so it wasn't an issue for me but let's try and find solutions so this doesn't become an issue since we are doing longer races and lapping is going to be a constant feature going forward.

remember we are all required to have teamspeak up and running. keeping it muted and not bothering to listen doesn't really help anyone and defeats the purpose of having quick and easy communication with others on the track. all it really takes is to say a quick "i'm comin up to lap you" if the person isn't responding to the situation and things will be much easier for everyone. lets not forget this is and has been an ongoing issue in real racing involving highly paid and skilled drivers so let's not get our expectations too high for those of us who do this for entertainment. like most everything in life, communication solves most problems, but you have to listen..

i found this app i'm going to install and try out. maybe having vettel whine about blue flags will help!!
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/spotter-sebastian-vettel-blue-flag.127435/

anyway, to have a high amount of finishers and the only real serious issue was due to lag at the start, i'd say it was a pretty good race overall.

one thing that is being overlooked is the abysmal documentation for assetto corsa. realtime isn't explained ANYWHERE that i found, and in vr the flags aren't visible at all unless you happen to look pretty far back out of the upper driver side window. i went off when the lead pack came through so it wasn't an issue for me but let's try and find solutions so this doesn't become an issue since we are doing longer races and lapping is going to be a constant feature going forward.

remember we are all required to have teamspeak up and running. keeping it muted and not bothering to listen doesn't really help anyone and defeats the purpose of having quick and easy communication with others on the track. all it really takes is to say a quick "i'm comin up to lap you" if the person isn't responding to the situation and things will be much easier for everyone. lets not forget this is and has been an ongoing issue in real racing involving highly paid and skilled drivers so let's not get our expectations too high for those of us who do this for entertainment. like most everything in life, communication solves most problems, but you have to listen..

i found this app i'm going to install and try out. maybe having vettel whine about blue flags will help!!
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/spotter-sebastian-vettel-blue-flag.127435/

anyway, to have a high amount of finishers and the only real serious issue was due to lag at the start, i'd say it was a pretty good race overall.
Realtime doesn't require an explanation. It shows the gap between you and the other drivers. If the name is blue, the guy is a lap behind, if it's green, a lap ahead.Nothing stop anyone from asking on the forum anyway. What you guys are missing is that if you use VR, it's your job to be sure to not be dangerous on track. We don't have to think "oh that guy is using VR, i'll stay behind him until he makes a mistake so that i'm sure he can't take me out".
I mute myself on teamspeak because people talk and laugh a lot during races and since i also drive with my ears (locking, rpms going up when sliding...) i prefer to hear my car rather than english people talking (that i wouldn't understand anyway because of the sound of my car). Since i want to concentrate (dragos and i were quite close in terms of pace) i increase the sound of my car so that i can't hear you guys. Now, telling me that it's my fault because i was muted is quite amazing. The job of every driver is to be aware. If the driver is not, it's only his fault.

Realtime doesn't require an explanation. It shows the gap between you and the other drivers. If the name is blue, the guy is a lap behind, if it's green, a lap ahead.Nothing stop anyone from asking on the forum anyway. What you guys are missing is that if you use VR, it's your job to be sure to not be dangerous on track. We don't have to think "oh that guy is using VR, i'll stay behind him until he makes a mistake so that i'm sure he can't take me out".
I mute myself on teamspeak because people talk and laugh a lot during races and since i also drive with my ears (locking, rpms going up when sliding...) i prefer to hear my car rather than english people talking (that i wouldn't understand anyway because of the sound of my car). Since i want to concentrate (dragos and i were quite close in terms of pace) i increase the sound of my car so that i can't hear you guys. Now, telling me that it's my fault because i was muted is quite amazing. The job of every driver is to be aware. If the driver is not, it's only his fault.

Matteo, Team Speak is a rule here, whether you like it or not, and as Todd mentioned it can be used exactly for the purpose of notifying another driver about lapping, letting other go, which side, slowing down, etc. Besides, the rules of racing at RD state that TS can be used to: "discuss any incidents with the other drivers involved after the race in a friendly manner."
The VR is not a problem, the problem is the implementation of it by Kunos. There are ways of working around the issues but it takes time to figure it out, and it's not perfect. Don't blame VR guys for not seeing what isn't there, please.
And the other thing is that we have drivers of different experience and skills, and the safety of passin/lapping is always the responsibility of both drivers involved.
And I second Todd's statement regarding problems with lapping in real life racing, just listen to the one "Friendly German" singing to the team radio: "Come on, blue flag, blue flag!"
Finally, "If you feel stressed out by an accident then take 24 hours to calm down, review the replays of the incident and resolve it in a mature way via PM. Do not make angry posts about it on the forum. If you cannot resolve the problem then please contact the staff member whom organised your race via PM, sending them an incident report".

If you feel stressed out by an accident then take 24 hours to calm down, review the replays of the incident and resolve it in a mature way via PM. Do not make angry posts about it on the forum. If you cannot resolve the problem then please contact the staff member whom organised your race via PM, sending them an incident report
First of all, mine wasn't an angry post, but an explanation of why i left the server (which is required by rule). In fact, i didn't even say the driver's name. What i wanted is to remind people that they always have to check their mirrors and if their hardware doesn't allow them to be completely aware, it's your job to find a way to not be dangerous. I have a single screen monitor, therefore i use helicorsa, realtime, virtual mirror, i have the app for the tires so that i know if they are overheated (in order to not spin and become dangerous). I took precautions in order to not ruin other's race, but apparently i'll have to shout "blue flag, blue flag" every time i have a lapped guy in front of me.

EDIT: Ts is a rule, yes. The rule says that i have to be in TS. Well, i was on TS. I live in italy and it was 4am, so sorry if i don't speak, but people sleep.

Last edited:
Then a lapped guy, while not respecting the blue flag (followed him for an entire sector) decides to slow down in the uphill section with 4 turns. I have to brake and this makes me lose control of the car (again). I spin, hit the guy behind me and finish against the barrier. The car is completely destroyed. I'm sorry if i left but with what happened and the fact that it was 4am here, the car was too damaged and i was too frustrated to keep going.
Since I was unable to attend the race and I don't know all the circumstances I thought I would let you know I do watch and I'm concerned for all of our drivers. That being said please keep in mind that:
A. It's a club race
B. I wanted to have a night where you really quick guys could come, race really hard and have a good time. I hope we are providing that.
C. You have guys like myself that aren't too quick. It's up to me and my judgement as to when to let you by at my earliest convenience. We try really hard to stay out of your way so please be patient with us. What may be an obvious opportunity to you may not be obvious to me.
D. We all have our faults, but we choose to race with one another. I like to think we have a good group and we will keep it that way.

Here is a link about flag rules: http://www.flagmarshal.com/fia-rules/
d) Light Blue flag: This should normally be waved, as an indication to a driver that he is about to be overtaken. It has different meanings during practice and the race. At all times : – A stationary flag should be displayed to a driver leaving the pits if traffic is approaching on the track. During practice : – Give way to a faster car which is about to overtake you. During the race : – The flag should normally be shown to a car about to be lapped and, when shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity.

Now maybe you think he should let you through immediately. Maybe he doesn't see you or the blue flag as soon as you get behind him. No matter the circumstance, it is a coordinated effort between 2 drivers. You both have responsibilities to one another. Believe me it sucks being lapped, but it's worse when I hold you up. Hopefully both parties can learn from this.

I'm not blaming either driver. I simply would like to suggest that we all learn from this and drop it here and now.

Thanks guys. I sure did miss hanging out with you.

BP

Awesome event, thanks to @Bobby Pennington and @Brewer for getting it organised:thumbsup:.
Was a cool race, full grid, and all drivers were on top of their game, T1 was a bit congested and the concertina affect caused a bit of mayhem. But once we all got settled in, it was awesome stuff, everyone having their different pitstop strategies made for an interesting race, started 22nd finished 12th gotta be happy with that, shame you missed it @Bobby Pennington :(

Looking forward to the next enduro, I love these events plenty of opportunity to recover if you have an off:thumbsup::whistling:.
Thank you Andrew. We really love hosting these things for you guys. So glad you enjoyed it. I did miss it so much. It would have been fun. I had planned on being here, but a last minute personal matter that I had to take care of prevented me from doing so.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back