GT Sport GT Sport Won't Offer Full VR Support on Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gran Turismo Sport VR Support.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport developers Polyphony Digital have confirmed, by way of Kazunori Yamauchi, that the upcoming GT Sport title will not offer full Virtual Reality compatibility, instead featuring a slightly confusing sounding 'VR Tour' game mode.

With sales of VR devices ever increasing and of course the PlayStation VR Headset having released early last month, it comes as perhaps a surprise to see Polyphony not fully capitalising on the obvious potential of this up and coming technology. Lead developer and Gran Turismo legend Yamauchi confirmed via Twitter that the game will feature the rather mysterious 'VR Tour' mode, leading one to believe Virtual Reality will not be implemented in the core gaming experience, but rather offering a visual experience outside of the driving element of the title.

Of course Gran Turismo Sport has not been without controversy during it's development cycle, firstly surprising fans with a change of direction from the traditional car collection and offline campaign to a more e-sports orientated experience in the latest instalment of the hugely successful Gran Turismo franchise. Already looking like a visually impressive title, controversy again hit the studio as an initial planned release for late 2016 came and went, with very little communication from Polyphony with regards to the reasoning behind delaying the public launch of the game, and a slightly concerning lack of any proposed released date other than "2017".

The studio continue to show GT Sport at gaming events throughout the world, and progress does indeed look to be at the very far end of development, as such many do expect GT Sport to make an appearance sooner rather than later next year. For the fans of the series, lets hope its a good one.

Gran Turismo Sport is due for release on Sony PlayStation 4 sometime during 2017. Release date yet to be confirmed.

Gran Turismo Sport VR Support 2.jpg

You can find the latest news and discussion regarding the Gran Turismo series of games at the Gran Turismo sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Join in the discussion with your fellow GT fans today!

Are you excited to try the latest Gran Turismo game? Disappointed about the lack of VR support? Do you like the new direction the title is heading in? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
From what I see, the PS4 /PS4 Pro capability to run a full AAA game in VR is far from being proven.

My experience using the HTC Vive is that the hardware GPU should have a lot of margin when displaying a game in 1080p to handle it in VR with equivalent quality and appropriate framerate. This makes me wonder how a PS4 could display a game in VR if it's already pushing the hardware to its limit in 1080p.

The VR demos of GT sport allow playing only with 1 car on track and static weather/time. It somehow goes in the same direction.

Looking at a recent article about the PS4Pro on Road2VR it seems the standard PS4 uses foveated rendering where the peripheral vision is rendered at a much lower detail reducing the overhead on the GPU. Of course this is fixed peripheral rendering rather than something like the Fove HMD which tracks eye movement and renders the sweet spot where you are actually looking. Nvidia and Microsoft reckon on a round a fivefold increase in rendering power using this technique

Me as an rather "old fan" of Gran Tourismo since Play Station 1 and the glorious Dual shock 1 can tell you that this series has ever been a pain in the a.... in concerns of releases.
We have been forced into big delays just to see that with every new release of another so called " Driving Simulator" it became more and more a cheap copy of the past.. I'm talking about the premium and the standard cars. WTF???
It has never been up to date anymore since that time so I'm out.... Sorry Kazunori Yamauchi.

Just my two cents :thumbsdown:

Polyphony was forced by Sony to develop VR mode for marketing purposes, and its existence is not to give fans what they want, but to check a box for Sony so they can make misleading ads.

VR Tour will be a highly limited, static tech demo, and Polyphony will never come through will a fully immersive VR experience this generation.

Gran Truism has always sacrificed smooth frame rate for a game engine that screenshots well and that can render teaser trailers, but it always under performs in actual use. They think about maintaining at least 30 FPS, not maximizing the game to run at +60 FPS at all times. There is just no way they can deliver, regardless of the PS4 Pro computational power. Polyphony, as a sim developer, does not place value in consistent frame rates.

Me as an rather "old fan" of Gran Tourismo since Play Station 1 and the glorious Dual shock 1 can tell you that this series has ever been a pain in the a.... in concerns of releases.
We have been forced into big delays just to see that with every new release of another so called " Driving Simulator" it became more and more a cheap copy of the past.. I'm talking about the premium and the standard cars. WTF???
It has never been up to date anymore since that time so I'm out.... Sorry Kazunori Yamauchi.

Just my two cents :thumbsdown:

cars were updated a lot in GT6, there was still difference between the high res ones for autovista experience, and the standart ones, but the standard ones got updated!

yes it's easy to complain,
they should have remove all the standart cars and go on onyl with premium ones, and then peopel would complain that they only have 400 cars rather then 1500 ... so yep, you can't win with everyone

Yes it's easy to complain, you're right! I just picked one of the issues....
I do not need thousands of cars, a smaller but better selection is enough for me.
The point is, GT won't make my buy a PS4 anymore then happened in the past with the Playstation's.

cars were updated a lot in GT6, there was still difference between the high res ones for autovista experience, and the standart ones, but the standard ones got updated!

they should have remove all the standart cars and go on onyl with premium ones, and then peopel would complain that they only have 400 cars rather then 1500 ... so yep, you can't win with everyone
I drive with hood cam = more view and better fps rates :thumbsup:

You're out of the loop man:laugh:. There are no more premiums and no more standardThey've gone beyond even having premiums only in GTSport. "Super premiums" are now the only kind of car in GTSport.

Remember Football Manager without 3d field and the text only comment? Remember GTA with top view only on PS1? Remember the pixel mozaïek in Gran Turismo 1? Remember F1 on the Gameboy? Now think back on how you felt back then when playing these games and how you feel now playing their most recent version....nothing has ever changed ;):thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%