GT Legends Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Just in case you missed them in the GTRE forum, I've posted up some GTL skins from my paint shed here.

38.jpg

18.jpg

42.jpg

16.jpg

64.jpg

17.jpg

59.jpg

They're all downloadable in 7-zip format.

Enjoy :thumb:

Yes, Kris, I cleared them down off the site for space reasons, but I can send you them if you want them.

Just let me know.

See here: The Paint Shed

People always told me skinning in GTL was hard and that the results were usually not much of a success...

"The Stu" just trashed that idea...
"People" are just being a little bit vague with you there Yoeri, as the actually painting / skinning part is virtually identical to Evo.

The only part that really makes it more difficult is that on virtually all the windows templates and models, the templates only contain one side window section and quite often the frames are on the windows templates, and not the body template.

Then they mirror the windows and windowframes across to the other side of the car, so it make asymmetric skins almost impossible. Really and truly that's not a big problem either. If you check my red/white Kronenbourg mini, you'll see I don't carry the red sections over the windows, because if it worked on one side of the car it would be totally wrong on the other as it's an asymmetrical pattern. All white was the least conspicuous, so that's what I stuck with.

Check the windows closely
gtl5_6i7.jpg

The real difficulty (and it's more of a drag than difficult) is the post painting process.

Evo skins are basically "bung all the dds files into a directory with a tiny ini file that shows the model and names the files".

GTL is the same theory, but in practice you also have:
  • 2 icons, one for when you have bough the car, one when you havent.
  • all the skins have the internal/cockpit files included each time as well as 2 lots of external files
  • a bik video file like the ones you see when you are browsing the cars
  • a "car" file - this is like the ini file, but holds so much more info and it all needs to match up.
The other thing GTL does that's different to Evo - in Evo, you skin a mini, that's it, your skin fits the mini perfectly. In GTL, there are 4 or 5 different 3d models of the mini within the mini category. (for example, go into GTL, and look at the minis in the preview roundabout thing - check the the bonnet catches, the boot locks, the tape over the headlights, the side windows) So you have to make sure your skin tallies up with the model you select, and then there's the whole genstring thing.

I am, essentially, a lazy scrote. So when there's a multiple model choice to be skinned (skun?), I'll pick one and all of my skins will fit that model.

Evo doesn't really care about this, and I don't really hear too much wailing and gnashing of teeth on that front, so I don't bother either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%