Group B RWD @ Gravel - 18th - 22nd April 2016

Roy Magnes

Gentleman Driver
Premium

Early Group B cars, loose surface - could it be more fun?

This is a rally for all members of RaceDepartment, premium or not. So just sign up, tag your friends or enemies, not to mention the fremenies to see who can drive the fastest, and not run off at the same time.

League Name (must be a member to be able to participate):
RaceDepartment
Cars: Group B RWD
Itinerary:

SS01: Wales - Bidno Moorland Reverse - Midday - Cloudy
SS02: Finland - Jyrkysjärvi - Midday - Clear
SS03: Greece - Ampelonas Ormi - Midday - Clear
SS04: Greece - Koryfy Dafni - Midday - Clear
SS05: Finland - Oksala - Midday - Clear

SS06: Wales - Sweet Lamb - Midday - Cloudy

Session Open: From 00:01 GMT 18th of April to 23:59 GMT 22nd of April
Re-Runs: No!
Event Restart: No!
Owned Vehicles: No!
Career Engineers: Yuuup!
Service: Before SS: 01, 03 and 05
Car Setups: Before SS: 01, 03 and 05
Checkpoints: At SS: 01, 03 and 05

Last edited by a moderator:
done first four yesterday night and those hairpins still kill me. i was an ace on the handbrake in rbr but i either utterly unlearned the trick or it works rather differently in rd. someone give me a hint plz:
a) when do i press the button (entry / halfway to apex / apex / past apex / exit)?
b) how long do i press it (just shortly / longer time / couple of times)?
c) what about throttle at the same time (none / some / full)?
d) what about steering (pointing towards apex / more pronounced towards apex/ only light steering input)?

what happens with me is i either spin the rear so much i end up with the front stuck on the apex or i slide to the outside of the corner with not much drift happening. i can pull it off sometime in some classes, but rwd seems to be especially difficult.

Just don't ask me, I use the rear brakes to set me up for the hairpin (I started out in FWD in RL so....) :)

But generally, get the car slowed, go towards the apex and quickly jank the handbrake. I can't do it but that is how I've seen others do it with success. The biggest part is making sure to get the car slowed down, when I try to use the handbrake I always arrive to fast and fly off backwards straight ahead :whistling:

To be able to see the result when you want after finish the rally, you create 2 events.. the first is the one we should race, the second one is just to make possible to see the results of the previous one! You can make it with just one stage... then when you see the results and you can delete it! :)

finished the last two stages, botched both of them after hitting a small rock hidden in a roadside ditch in finland which made me flip over and sideways a couple of times, took ages to get back on road pointing in the right direction ... never got back into the groove afterwards. on sweet lamb i lost it twice in the woods, necessitating a reset on track, so all in all two stages to forget. currently 18th of 20. very good rally layout, though, liked it, thx for setting up.

I chose the Opel Manta for the rally, as I feel more safe in that than in the Lancia 037. I felt like I was doing fairly well, even matching the current rally leader on SS04. Then I had one of my usual catastrophes in Finland on SS05, dropping 2 minutes from the lead. 2 spins on the final stage did not help either, but overall I am pleased with my result. These RWD's are really fun to throw around on the loose stuff :)

Regarding the handbrake hairpins, I started thinking about it while driving the final few stages today. I slow down apropriatly before the corner, start to turn in so the weight transfer has started happening, then I pull the handbrake for a short while, a couple of tenths. From here it is all about counter steering and trottle control to get out again :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 82 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.4%