1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grid Start Lines

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by Andre_1th, Aug 29, 2010.

1. There where the race start. Cars must be between the lines. How to create those ?

Open Start/Edit positions/Grid: now you see start positions.
    However to create the lines you must open Edit Objects, means bye bye start positions ;)

I can do it for all slots but I think there must be some faster solution, right ?

gridstartlines001.jpg gridstartlines002.jpg
  2. I was wondering about that one myself. There is a 'grid' texture among the materials, and you can crate lines using flattened walls, but maybe there is a more convenient way that you'd easily overlook.

..Uh... You might want to slightly rephrase that one mate ;)
  3. There's a grid pattern texture in the default xpack that you can overlay on the track. It's shown how to use it in one of the videos on the BTB website.
  4. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

i created my own grid texture, as croft has a pretty unusual grid pattern.

Its real easy. Take a base track surface and create your lines in a paint program.

Save as DDS, job done.
  5. You're a mind reader? Just wanted to start with that because even after saving the Walls Marks on Track as flv and play it in superslomo, I don't have a clue what he 's clicking on his keyboard, grr.

Offtopic: In superslomo Piddy sounds very funny, like when the Hall 9000 was switched off in 2001 (my mind is going I can feel it) ;)
  6. That's one thing that prompted me to write this list:
  7. Hmm found some usefull prg to convert from jpg to dds and vv. Know how to change the xml file. But somehow when I extract/unzip as example the default xpack, the dds files won't appear at all, so I can't add new file(s) for a new zipfile... must missing something. Proberly brains.
  8. Yes sir, I know, even registrerd overthere because I've found some new ones ;) Will add later, when I find some time for it.
    Btw in that vid he's using another version also.
  9. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

Yeh, in the tutorial vids, Piddy is using an older version (not sure which), but the basics are the same.

To save as DDS, i use http://www.gimp.org/

You need a plugin to be able to save/open DDS files, but thats on their site also.

10. Finally found some .exe, testing ;)
  11. Holy Sheep! works all fine m8 :doublethumb: Now I have to learn to create own objects, did some trial and error, need jpg, xml, material, dds, xml, funny stuff, :work::coffee::sigarette::coffee::sleep::work::sleepin:
  12. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

To create models, i use Zmodeler. http://www.zmodeler2.com/

V1 is free and does the job good enough, but v2 is slightly better (but not free)

They both (i think) export GMT`s without having to download anything extra, and they are a hell of a lot easier than 3DsMax.

Another favourite for BTB objects is Google Sketchup. http://sketchup.google.com/

I cant help you with this one, as i`ve never used it, but there are plenty of people here who have and they will be able to help you.

Happy track building :)
  13. I prefer Anim8or. If you use Sketchup, bear in mind that it has a silly texture naming bug, but it can be sorted before importing the object.
  14. Atm I'm doing dozens of things, almost at the same time, to finish my 1th track, it's getting complicated but I like the challenge. Mentioned prg's in my todo list. Will come back on it later. Tnx guys !
  15. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Your track is nice (Sheep Valley). It could do with a bit of FPS work, as it runs about 15-20 on my old rig which is almost undriveable. My Croydon GP circuit is currently running at about 30-50 with the same mod.
  16. Hmm, wich SheepValley version did you drive?
  17. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

I got it from rFC on Monday 30th, version 1.3.

Could you send a picture of your sheep in BTB, in wireframe and colour mode? (In normal mode, press W twice, and you'll get the wireframe on top of the normal colours).
  18. The 1.3 is already antique .
    This one will for sure kill your system ;)

there you go: sheepfps_001_as.jpg
  19. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

LOL 4-poly sheep!
    I think the fences are the problem.

This is my pitiful system:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz single core processor
    1GB RAM
    ATi Radeon 9550SE 256MB GPU
    Windows XP Home SP3.

I have to run rFactor on DirectX 7 just to get a driveable framerate on all tracks...
  20. I think we better switch to http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/37792-sheeps-must-eat-grass-not-fps.html ?

same issue, double?

Good system btw ;) And yes it's not the sheeps !