1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GRID 2 Review

Discussion in 'GRID 2' started by RaceDepartment, May 28, 2013.

1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

View the Post on the Blog

2. museumsteve

museumsteve
    Premium Member

Thanks for the review. It's so sad how Codies racers have slowly gone downhill over recent years.
    I had already decided to skip this after the whole 'no cockpit' fiasco but it's a shame that they believe adding the whole social media stuff will sell more games, because it wont. It just alienates their core customers.
    I think I remember them saying that removing the cockpit view would only affect approx 5% of their customers. Personally I think it's higher but even so, I don't know many companies that would deliberately alienate any percentage of their dead cert customers.

3. Nice, detailed review from someone who actually knows his racing games . I was contemplating on getting GRID 2 but now I'm confident in my choice which is not to.

4. Petar Tasev

Petar Tasev
    Ryder25

Nice review! I COMPLETELY agree with you, Austin. I'm most disappointed by the singleplayer storyline; it is just horrible, and linear like you said. I was hoping they would expand on the team management, and include more real life motorsports this time around, but instead they've done the complete opposite. Everything else you said was right on the money too. I'd give the game a 7 because it is average, although it feels worse because it did not live up to my expectations.

5. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | Engineer at Manor Racing Premium Member

I was afraid something like this would happen - it seems the need for a huge target market & sales has outweighed that of the almost niche quality of the original Grid. :(

6. I hope Codies to FAIL big time... Maybe they would reconsider this "fast food garbage for stupids" but people are like sheep these day, so it won't happens. I gave up Codies for a long time now (skipping all the Race drivers, dirt, Grid, F1...) and never regretted it one bit!

7. Christopher Vrettos

Christopher Vrettos
    Premium Member

Good review! Preloading GRID 2 now, will try it and give opinions. At least they have fixed the driving physics - I frankly hate F1 2012's physics sometimes, when the back end comes around for no apparent reason.

Disappointed that it's such a far cry from the original GRID and Race Driver series - those are the games which propelled me into sim racing originally! :/

8. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

That's a greatly detailed review, thanks. But i'm dissappointed with the game as someone spent hours with Grid. :(

9. Leon Charmant

Leon Charmant
    Premium Member

Great review, thanks for putting so much effort into it. Please do post it in the official CodeMasters GRID 2 forums where it will get a lot of attention from the developers themselves as well.

I'm the GRID 2 moderator here at RD, but luckily I won't let that influence my opinion about the game. Needless to say we all expected a lot more from GRID 2, especially in regards to singleplayer. It's normal that a sequel is often not as good as the highly praised original, but in this case it's more extreme.

But, before I end this, the multiplayer side of things will definitely still provide plenty of racing action for everyone. I assume that the majority of people on RD don't care about singleplayer, but most of us are looking for fun multiplayer races. So if you have the game, pay a visit to the GRID 2 Racing Club once preperations are fully completed (should be about a week from now). I'm sure we can all have a fun night with this game regardless of the step back in comparison to the original!

EDIT: Someone already linked to this review on the CM forums, you don't need to post it there anymore

10. All I need to know, sadly because I was waiting for that one :(

11. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim
    Premium Member

The kind of games i can't buy ! a game to forget !

12. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

Thanks for the very detailed review. There seems to be many aspects of the game that do not appeal to me, social media being one of them.

I have seen a few of the promo videos, and Shift 2 Unleashed came to mind, so I thought meh! Same same .... The main saving grace of Shift 2 was including the Nordschleife circuit

Once I realised there was no cockpit view in Grid 2, any semblance of an interest faded away to nil.

13. very detailed and comprehensive write up, good job. not my kind of game, though. liked playing the original race driver series and even before that the toca games. but that was before online gaming came along. ever since, AI has lost all of its appeal for me.

14. Gavin Hendley

Gavin Hendley
    Meta-SIM-morphosing

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed review, I hope codies learn a lesson from this. We won't be mugged any more by half arsed efforts to rob us our hard earned money.

15. Never expected anything from this game so its o.k :D

16. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

I read this bit...
    "I never expected Grid 2 to be a mammoth disappointment. In fact, it was quite the opposite"
    ...as suggesting that "It wasn't a mammoth disappointment - it was the opposite".lol Afterwards, I read on and on and kudos for writing such a comprehensive review. You will have saved a lot of people a lot of money. I sense a lot of people will have bought this because they loved the original.For me, I never had GRID so as soon as I heard this had no cockpit view, I was never in for it. Also, based on the f1 2011 update to 2012 and Dirt 3 - Dirt Showdown, I sense that Codemasters are going for quick buck over Outstanding quality.
    It might be just me, maybe I'm being spoilt, but I see no reason for anyone to buy this game. I mean, how many would buy a game for the menu bars? There's so much choice now - most games look good, have lots of cars, offer credits, road tracks, circuit tracks. This list goes on. I guess I don't get the difference between driving an arcade game like forza horizon, need for speed, or this crud. If people don't buy it, quality goes up or businesses go bust. I hope a minority bought it and they enjoy it. Hate to see people robbed.

17. Thank you for this review, I too can not believe the direction codemasters has taken with these games, it seems they are focused on trying to win over the tweens instead of improving the gameplay for hardcore racing fans, I loved Colin Mcrae's WRC game, Dirt was decent even had a desert route that was very close to the actual track, Grid was awesome (not with assist on) had some great races with other gamers who raced (not slam into you) Dirt 2 was very nice (but did fall a tad short of my expectations)but was good enough to get some of my friends who didn't race to buy it and enjoy it alot, Then the crash and burn started with Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown (what a joke) and I keep telling myself just wait for Grid 2, just hang in there, codemasters will come through (even if it was the same as Grid with more cars and tracks, I would have be ecstatic) So Sad, well at least I found this site, looks like this is where true racing lovers come to discuss all things virtual, maybe a new company will take over where codemasters slid off the road and slamed into the wall (but maybe they enjoy wall riding like all the other children.....Dirt 2)

18. and sounds like 6/10 is being way to kind - 4/10 sounds right to me...but to be honest I have not played the game...and probably never will, until it's in the $5 bin.

19. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Great review, thanks for saving me some cash.
    I agree with the other comments here, Grid was a quality all round game, but alas Codies have lost the plot in recent years in my book. Seems bling and virtual eye candy has become the staple reasoning behind Codies releases instead of designing realistic racing scenarios that give the gamer some bang for their buck, the lack of cockpit view in any racing title is a regrettable decision, and it will cost Codies a large chunk of their return dollars.

20. I made the mistake of buying this game today, wish I had read your review first. This game is total garbage, please do not buy it, the past codemasters racing games have been pretty good (ignoring dirt showdown), this is basically the worst driving game around.... If you like arcade racers, buy something else, if you like sim racers, buy something else.... if you are in the 1% that can't make up your mind then maybe this game is ok but instead, do yourselves a favor and decide which style you like and save your money.