1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'GRID 2' started by Bram Hengeveld, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Passionate Volvo C30 driver Premium

View the Post on the Blog

2. Chad Dunbar

Chad Dunbar Licensed

Getting rid of cockpit view is fine by me. It's one of the most useless things in racing games/sims.

Unless you have a triple monitor setup, you're pretty limited on screen area...and having most of that area devoted to displaying the inside of your car is just silly. Your focus in a real car is on the road - and in a racing game/sim I prefer to focus on the road & my surroundings as well.

I mean, I guess I could slide my seat waaaaay back and drive with my fingertips so I can take in the glory of the interior of my Ford, but...

3. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson Keep Calm and do Yoga Premium

The only DLC id want was a cockpit view for the cars i race......:D

4. Tom Neidher

Tom Neidher Licensed

One thing is certain, and that is that Codmaster going down! That is it when you are greedy and do not listen to his fans :whistling:

5. Rob Shillito

Rob Shillito Licensed

this game will be utterly rubbish just like Dirt Showdown yet naive people will still stupidly buy it

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Licensed

Im surprised people continued to buy Codemasters racing games after the 2nd installment I had of TOCA Touring Cars(2)on the old PSX.
    Absolute rubbish at the time & the few other Codemasters racing games I tried since then were no better.
    It doesn't matter how good something looks, when it comes to racing it's all about feel & this is something they've never mastered as far as Im concerned so have never given them my money again & never will for a racing game either....

7. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada Licensed

In fact in a real race car you will be sitting waaaay back than in a normal car, and therefore you will see the same you see now in cockpit view. I race only iRacing because of that.

It looks to me that you never paid enough attention to FOV adjustment ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sebastian Kunze

Sebastian Kunze Licensed

Grid ... without COCKPIT VIEW ? ... wtf are codies smokin ? :mad:

If it stays like this ... well I was hyped for Grid 2 but reading this is just ... well ... no interest at all in the game anymore. :thumbsdown:

9. Rupe Wilson

Can we have a RD view poll to see what poeple use ...

What is your main driving view for racing... (no need to say looking forward :D )
    i do use all views in testing but race with cockpit view if the game allows it...

10. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Passionate Volvo C30 driver Premium

Yes we can do that, no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada Licensed

I think we did have one not long ago :)

12. Patcha

Patcha

Last videogame I saw they removed cockpit view was last Need for Speed Hot Pursuit... and the game was a *bad word* childish commercial result!

That's why I'm very scary about this GRID2!
    Everybody has great expectations for it due to GRID1, but I scare much more that removing the Cockpit view is an hint about the fact next GRID could be just a commercial game.

And for commercial I mean a game which includes only what does sell the most (and the target is casual gamers, not us: hardcore gamers).

Also a DLC already in program is a clue for what I fear!

DLCs shouldn't be already planned before game releases: is so much a commercial trick!

So instead than hoping for the best looking at GRID1, I fear the worst looking at Codemaster's PR lyings.

And the first lie is the worst: only 5% wants cockpit?
    Maybe... if you include all millions of casual players!

But what if you look at real hard gamers which loved GRID1?
    Look it better... it's over 50%!

My opinion? GRID2 will be a commercial delusion game!

13. Rupe Wilson

ooppps... :redface:

14. Patcha

Patcha

Sorry for my bad English... (I also wrote lyings instead than lies! *_*)

15. Philip Antonia

Philip Antonia Licensed

Grid 2 is a Arcade Racer for the consoles!!

It's the sort of thing my son (though he enjoys Race Pro) and my Nephew will play and enjoy and fellas having a night in with mates and their beers to have a lark around with. That's it's market and it will probably be a commercial success!!

Why us Sim racers even bother to worry ourselves about it when we have the likes of Assetto Corsa on the horizon and the already brilliant GSC2012 and the promissing (though ugly) rF2 already with us I reallly don't know :rolleyes: .

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joao Borges

Joao Borges Licensed

GRID 2 is going to be an arcade racer, not a sim! In my opinion, cockpit view is better for sims than arcade. Arcade is faster paced than a sim and cockpit makes it difficult to drive in an arcade. To be honest, I was never a fan of cockpit but I have grown to feel okay with it because of iRacing. Hood view allows you to see your surroundings better and still have an immersive experience. Not to mention I get better FPS on my PC with hood view. I don't think Codemasters made a mistake here, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :) I just hope they dont milk the game with DLC, because if they do then forget it, not buying it. This isn't stopping me from buying the game.

17. LMracer

LMracer

I have to disagree with you, one of the important things for a sim in my opinion is a sence of imersion, even with only a single screen (ok a 32")
    i still have a better sence of imersion with a cockpit view, infact with a wheel i find it hard to drive with a bumper cam because of it's location being too low and too far foward and chase cam being just imposssible, that and if i remeber the cockpits on grid 1 were quite good, not forza4/GT5?Iracing but quite good and it seams to make no sence to remove a feature that the previous title was praised on

18. Kennett Ylitalo

Kennett Ylitalo Licensed

The part about not being able to run cockpit view is bs. The article already mentioned one cure and i agree. When you using cockpit view and correctly defined viewport, there is very little difference in performance if the scene is properly optimized. In some occasions, it's even cheaper to do huge part of the screen as almost static image, there's less bandwidth used for transferring new models and textures between GPU and the rest of the system. Yes, memory size is the first bottleneck but even i can think of places where it can be saved, for ex, you don't need to load the most complex model on track, your own vehicles outside is almost completely left off. So no, i don't buy this explanation. The fact can easily be that according some survey they've made amongst the casual console crowd, the 5% cockpit use might well be tru and that is the main reason behind such idiocy.. A "realistic" sim without cockpit simply don't belong in the same sentence.. But it's codemaster, when have they released anything realistic? And how long do we have to wait for a next gen rally sim?

19. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford Premium Licensed

is rfactor 2 ugly? i haven't played it yet but from what i've seen of the "beta" it looks mindblowing - especially the sunrise video. what game is currently better than it? just curious as just bought a new pc and getting excited

20. Philip Antonia

Philip Antonia Licensed

No Andrew I was being a bit harsh. It doesn't look good on my system which is pretty decent, but with everything on and to the max (and working correctly) then it does look good, but not up to Assetto Corsa or pCars. Though I don't think pCars will worry rF2 on the physics front:).

Most importantly though the rF2 physics and other features will make it a worthwhile purchase for you.

Sorry if I worried you with my comment:).

• Like Like x 1