Great optimization

Just wanted to give a cheer for the great optimization now that AI is available to test with.

It is way more optimized than many other titles already. Did some measurements on it and 20+ AI, at the back of the grid yields steady 60 synced fps and no problems at all. The cores are evenly used and the gpu has room to spare.

As a contrast one could take pCars that still has trouble with the optimization of the code. I've got to say, big Kudos to the team for the work done so far. AI is already rather good, physics core is there and better yet: it is already looking to be a solid, optimized codebase.

Joy :)

Further testing shows there are still issues with AI and the new 125... Apart from the AI not being able to drive it one lap without spinning, it appears that framedrops are only present with AI and the 125s. At least on my system. It seems that if AI get stuck, as in locked together, something glitch and cpu use goes through the roof, as soon as they are back on the road and no longer blocking eachother cpu usage is ok again. I think AI routines are lacking for the 125 and it causes issues.

Will probably be optimized by next build or sometime shortly after...

This is very awkward...I just tested the game with lowest settings including lowest possible resolution, and the AI looked normal with no crashing at all!!!

I'm running triple screens with a bezel corrected 5890 x 1080. I've got my graphs at 4xAA, 4xAF, 60 fps render max, V-sync through game 6 x FXAA. Cube maps at 1 I think and faces at 6. Also highest shadows but low smoke rendering. Everything else maxed.

@Pedro Cunha what is the resolution you are running? Also your system should be destroying all of ours so there is something going on.

i'm runing 1080p single screen

@Pedro Cunha
As said earlier, try without SLI. Also make sure cpu is not throttling, that is a hefty clock there.

@Jan-Olov Johansson
Nice to see it improves things. GPU usage going up is natural, as the cpu will only preprocess one framelist before flushing it to the gpu so it will increase load on gpu and graphics mem, as it tries to keep up. I think the default is actually 3 prerendered frames unless software specifies something else. This leads to latency if you have a fast cpu AND gpu, and increases cpu load. However if your gpu is slower than your cpu you may remove stutters by ncreasing the number of renders prepared by the cpu before flushing. It adds latency however.

As i said, my view is that vsynced 60fps with 1 prerendered frame, by adaptive vsync in nv panel if possible, is the best for most uses. Given you have enough power to keep framerates up ofc.

When AI is crashing about, i wonder if it spikes the cpu or gpu... The first would be more logical as physics would take a toll in corner one for instance...

If you lower shadows i believe you can keep 60+ even with smoke effects...

Here you go:
Monza - lotus125 back of fullgrid - 1080p every single option on and maxed out.

SLI on = 32fps
SLI off = 52fps

Monza - lotus125 back of 11 AI grid - 1080p every single option on and maxed out.

SLI on = 85fps
SLI off = 60fps

funny ain't it???

Last edited:
I'm droping to 39fps
1080p maxed out settings
24 cars at Silverstone

my system:
i7 47740k 4,8ghz
Titan SLI

The game needs heavy GFX optimization, cause i still play Project cars maxed out 4K resolution, allways above 60fps!
You said earlier you play Project Cars at 4K resolution. 4K is the term but not all the resolutions are the same. What is the resolution you are playing with in project cars?

I dont see any optimization.
I can only play wit medium settings:
V-sync= on
Anisotrop filter = 16
AA = 4
Fast AA = off
Shadow = medium
Smoke= low or medium
cube map resolution = medium
faces per frame = 3

my system:
Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i5-3570, 3600 MHz (36 x 100)
RAM: 8153 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H
Grafik: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (3072 MB)

Usually it must be playable with highest settings. but I wait till v1.0

I dont see any optimization.
I can only play wit medium settings:
V-sync= on
Anisotrop filter = 16
AA = 4
Fast AA = off
Shadow = medium
Smoke= low or medium
cube map resolution = medium
faces per frame = 3

my system:
Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i5-3570, 3600 MHz (36 x 100)
RAM: 8153 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H
Grafik: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (3072 MB)

Usually it must be playable with highest settings. but I wait till v1.0

That is actually very good and high settings for 60 fps. Lower the cube map res and faces per frame to low and 2, and you will be good to go.

AAx4 with 16x aniso on DX11 is NOT a "medium" setting.

Similiar to my settings, but i keep to the lower cube map setting above and run world detail at max, with 8x aniso.

This gives me some room for more smoke etc. without dropping or stuttering.

What you would need for AI however is to up the clock on that CPU...

OK I play at 5300X1050 and with -

V-sync= off
Anisotrop filter = 16
AA = 8
Fast AA = off
Shadow = High
Smoke= Low
cube map resolution = Low
faces per frame = 3

Full grid of GT3's (Z4 and Macca), constant locked 59fps.

3570K@4.8Ghz, 8GB RAM and a GTX780 running at 1250

@Simon Roberts I so envy you lol. I gave up on overclocking my graphics cards years ago. I upgrade every year or two. Which is just about when a new game comes out to push my cards. been wanting to go to water for years but I always blow the funds on new cards lol.

You got any pictures posted of your loop?

I'll get some posted tomorrow mate, I'm on the iPhone in bed right now lol.

I bought a lot if the WC parts secondhand off the OCUK forums and not had any issues at all but saved a fortune.

I also seem to upgrade my GPU every year even though I don't need too lol, although my wife is pregnant with twins so that will prob stop for a couple if years ha ha.

I'll get some posted tomorrow mate, I'm on the iPhone in bed right now lol.

I bought a lot if the WC parts secondhand off the OCUK forums and not had any issues at all but saved a fortune.

I also seem to upgrade my GPU every year even though I don't need too lol, although my wife is pregnant with twins so that will prob stop for a couple if years ha ha.
Congratulations! I couldn't imagine having double my five year old! It probably won't stop but be much more spread out. I need to post some pictures of my rig. Maybe we could start a new thread!

@Simon Roberts
Once one has become a serious pc user, the behaviour just never stops :) Luckily for me i turned that into a carreer and subsequently, money. I also have a very understanding wife nowadays, who will, luckily for me, let me get away with quite the collection of geeky habits and spenditures :)
@Richard Eriksson that's awesome. One day I'll be like you when I grow up lol.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back