For everyone who has a story of questionable Fanatec support, here is one of fantastic support for my Clubsport pedals. For the last 8 weeks I've been getting slower and slower. I've had a lot of problems over the last 3 PrestoGP MMG F1 races finding braking points and getting any consistency. On Sunday I tried a few laps at Bahrain and it seemed like my brakes didn't work at all. I pulled up the config utility and sure enough press the brake and nothing happened until 90% pressure and then it went to full instantly. After a little cleaning it would do nothing until 50% pressure and then spike up and down quickly before jumping to 100%. Anyway it's clear the load cell has gone bad. So here's the feel good part of the story. I e-mailed Fanatec support late Sunday night providing a detailed description and my order number (unit is about 11 months old). I received an e-mail today only 36 hours later, saying that a new load cell is on it's way. WOW. Very impressed by the speed of response and immediate resolution of the problem. WIsh all companies backed their products like that. Gives me the confidence to buy a CSW when it's released.