graphics card upgrade opinions please

I have 2 of them and they are beast. Just to let you know...these take up 3 pci slots. That may be an issue for some. To be honest if you are going to put out the money I would get a 7970 as they are on par for price and out perform the 580 and have twice the amount of ram.

Upvote 0
i was actuallly looking at the asus hd 7959 but silly question as it pci, 3.0 i wasnt sure as to weather i,d have to upgrade mobo as i dont have pci e 3,0 mines 2.0 i belive

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...8nm-gpu-900mhz-1792-cores-dual-link-dvi-i-hdm

The difference between the different PCIe versions is very tiny in practical use, it is just noticeable a bit if your Card Memory gets really maxed out. They are downward compatible anyway; buying a new mobo just because of that aspect is not worth it :)

Upvote 0
thanks i know i,ve brought a new complete system so wouldnt want to buy a new mobo anyways so it will be fine then on my current mobo,
here my pc spec,
intel i7- 2600 @ 3.40 ghz
asock p67 extreme motherboard b3 revision
8gb of corair vengence ram at 1866mhz
xfx 850watts power supply
1.5t seagate hdd
240 corsair force ssd
hoping the the asus hd 7950 gpu will complete this nicley

Upvote 0
I would think you would be very happy with that setup Neil :) As far as upgrading graphics cards goes, I look at Tomshardware.com at their articles that come out quarterly called "Best Graphics Cards for the Money...." At the end of the articles there is always a graphics card hierarchy chart. It is generally a rule that if the card you have and the card you are thinking of buying are within 4 spaces of each other, then the upgrade isn't worth it as performance won't be noticeably different. This rule doesn't apply if you are going from a stock card to an overclocked card though.

Upvote 0
thanks jim ace infomation as normal, now to ask for your info abit more, currently running my pc on a 37" lcd tv through hd at 1920x 1080 been thinking about going for tripple screen set up but means dropping down to 24" monitors but can be run at same resalution, now would said graphics card be fine for tripple screen set up

Upvote 0
I don't have a lot of experience with the Asus ones, but the XFX are great and so is their customer service. Any time I have called a real person has answered the phone straight away. :)

Upvote 0
Buy the XFX for the name ;)

serious: I actually own both an ASUS and XFX 6950. I like them both and would buy again but they are reference cards so I don't know which does a custom card better. The XFX had a 2yr warranty that upgraded to lifetime when I registered (within 30 days), don't know if they still do that though.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • < 5 years