Graphic Tweaks

Hey everyone,
I have looked around for things you can do to make AssettoCorsa look crisper, I found a few .txt modifications here and there, but I am not sure if they are recent or there have been more improved tweaks around.
Is there a site that has them organised or a sticky somewhere that I have missed? Looking for stuff like more AA etc, not filters. I find natural filter good enough.

Thanks for the reply, but I m not looking for filters. I m looking for a list of possible txt file edits to enforce certain graphic options. Like increased AA.

Hmm, not really sure you'll get better AA through text edits. You can force higher quality levels of AA through your Graphics Card driver control panel. Use that along with a better filter like the Natural Graphics mod or Wagnum's (as linked above) and you'll get much better visuals.

If you want 8X AA (4 is max on slider), you'll need to set AASAMPLES=8 in documents\assetto corsa\cfg\video.ini . Last time I checked (by creating 4K previews and comparing similar images), it produced better AA than "4", so at least that setting is possible.

Ok nice, thanks for the info.

I m still not convinced by the driving. It feels too much on rails, maybe too much grip. Then again in PCars I feel there is too much floating (or rather the feeling of it). I m developing slight schizophrenia.

You can set the track grip level, when not racing with multiple cars on track, "Optimum" seems to be on the high side. Try the lower settings for a more natural feel, "Green" is usually quite nice.

Also what card do you use? If you want really crisp results, make sure you disable FXAA. Also in your PP filter you can try disabling chromatic aberration. Downsampling is a good measure to increase image quality, too, with the added benefit that the "in-sim" menus and apps become smaller. I render AC in 2560 x 1600 and run it on a 1920x1200 monitor. Makes a huge difference.

Hope you get to enjoy AC!

Looks like your best bet is changing the AA samples in the config or forcing AA through your driver control panel. I wouldn't recommend supersampling as it's extremely resource intensive, even if only upscaling by a fraction of the resolution, though it does do a great job of getting rid of aliasing. Can I ask what your specs are?

Your best combo for maximum visual quality would be 8xMSAA with FXAA. I would still recommend using FXAA since MSAA on its own can show "crawling" where aliased edges appear as moving white lines. The FXAA in Assetto Corsa isn't that strong anyway so it won't affect the image too much, especially at 8xMSAA.

No worries. :p If you hover over your account name at the top right, one of the settings says "Signature". Also, you mentioned how you felt the cars were a little too grippy. Like Mr. Mugel said, lower it to green at least and things will feel much better. Anyway, AC is extremely customizable so I'm sure with some fiddling around, you'll find settings that are comfortable for you.

You can set the track grip level, when not racing with multiple cars on track, "Optimum" seems to be on the high side. Try the lower settings for a more natural feel, "Green" is usually quite nice.

Also what card do you use? If you want really crisp results, make sure you disable FXAA. Also in your PP filter you can try disabling chromatic aberration. Downsampling is a good measure to increase image quality, too, with the added benefit that the "in-sim" menus and apps become smaller. I render AC in 2560 x 1600 and run it on a 1920x1200 monitor. Makes a huge difference.

Hope you get to enjoy AC!
Hey,
Interesting, why you advice to off "FXAA"? - it's actually make cars and tracks looking better? (Nvidia or not - not important?)

I´d give 1.5 or 2 times downsampling a try, maybe with FXAA and 2-4 AA and 4x AF.

Downsampling means that your graphics are calculated at a higher resolution than the display uses. At this higher resolution the anti aliasing modes are applied and than the image is scaled down to your display resolution. This usually results in very crisp images, but requires some graphic power, especially if you allready use a high resolution on that 27" display.
To enable downsampling you have to open the Radeon Crimson control center, and select "Display" on the lower tab. Here you need to enable "Virtual Super Resolution" and maybe "GPU scaling", too (I have it on). Than you can select higher resolutions in your AC graphics menu. Might be worth a try. It produces the best image quality over FPS on my R9 280X with 1.5 times downsampling and FXAA.

Hey,
Interesting, why you advice to off "FXAA"? - it's actually make cars and tracks looking better? (Nvidia or not - not important?)

Strictly speaking if you only want a crisp image, that means no blur at all, FXAA is the wrong way, as it is only applied to the allready calculated 2D image, instead of applying it during the rendering process, resulting in a blur of finer lines (Look here: Wikipedia - FXAA).

As said before, I use it, too, but it´s a matter of taste. When you can run with a high amount of downsampling and SSAA with a good portion of AF, you can get quite the same image quality without blurring your image (At a high cost of FPS, that´s why I don´t use it anymore).

Another advantage of FXAA is that with my system, I could fix the transparency issues I´ve had before, trees showed some "grid" effects which looked very bad. This is also fixed by blurring the affected spots.

This is what I see when I hover the pointer, maybe i m being blind and I can't see it inside those menus. Anyway, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I use in-game D2X for PCars so it should be ok for AC as well. Where can I find MSAA? Is that the Morphological Filtering? (i dont think it is, just checking) Is it the AAquality line in the "video" file?

Attachments

• ava1.JPG
    ava1.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 559
Right, I think you might have to be a Premium member to have the signature feature. I have an Nvidia card so I don't have the same AA choices as you, but I think in the AMD world, Morphological Filtering might be MLAA which is a slightly fast version of MSAA but with the distortion side-effect of FXAA. You could try it and see how it visually and performance wise.

Strictly speaking if you only want a crisp image, that means no blur at all, FXAA is the wrong way, as it is only applied to the allready calculated 2D image, instead of applying it during the rendering process, resulting in a blur of finer lines (Look here: Wikipedia - FXAA).

As said before, I use it, too, but it´s a matter of taste. When you can run with a high amount of downsampling and SSAA with a good portion of AF, you can get quite the same image quality without blurring your image (At a high cost of FPS, that´s why I don´t use it anymore).

Another advantage of FXAA is that with my system, I could fix the transparency issues I´ve had before, trees showed some "grid" effects which looked very bad. This is also fixed by blurring the affected spots.
Now understand clearly your point. Thanks for answer! =)

Downsampling is a good measure to increase image quality, too, with the added benefit that the "in-sim" menus and apps become smaller. I render AC in 2560 x 1600 and run it on a 1920x1200 monitor. Makes a huge difference.

Will give that a go, using sparse x 4 at the moment. Its super crisp but at a high cost of FPS.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back