• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Grand Prix Legends 1955 F1 Mod Preview Trailer Released

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,318
    1955 Grand Prix Legends.png
    Despite Grand Prix Legends being due to celebrate its nineteenth birthday since changing the sim racing landscape back in 1998, the ever active mod community have continued to grow and expand the list of classic content within the title. Recently a new preview video has emerged showing off the latest creation due to hit the sim - 1955 Formula One!

In recent times several talented modders have been at work developing a recreation of the 1955 Grand Prix season for GPL, and the latest preview of the fruits of that labor can now been seen in the new trailer released a few days ago on YouTube. Now I must admit it was only because of a heads up from @Sergio Loro that I found out about this mod, and despite the obviously dated software the preview trailer does look exceptionally intriguing.

Grand Prix Legends 1955 F1 Promotion Movie

At this stage not a lot is known about this latest modification for GPL, however speculation remains that the mod will be released as a free download during Q1 2017. It interests me greatly that a title of such 'vintage' still has a following heading in to 2017, and I would love to hear from you about your experiences with GPL, and why you still boot up the title after all these years.

If you do still play Grand Prix Legends please let us all know how you think the game stacks up compared to modern day simulators in the comments section below!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 6
  2. Gui Cramer

Gui Cramer

Ratings:
    +780
    The GPL modding groups make the best and most atmospheric promo movies of all. Period (yes, three of them now).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Yep... always great videos from GPL ! Not typical bare gameplay recordings haha

I think GPL must be in simracers steam library, going to buy it. Also still waiting for Richard Burns Rally to hit steam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,231
    Don't think Square Enix is going to bother with RBR, but actually quite surprised that iRacing haven't put out GPL on Steam, would give them money after all...

This trailer also got me wanting to install GPL again, but I know when I did it on my old PC, I had it for 3 years without starting it once... But I still have some GPLRank goals to fulfill!

5. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro
    Premium

Ratings:
    +858
    GPL is great!! and the 1955 mod are going to change the way everyone raced :)
    if you can live without lighting/real shadows and select the up-to-date tracks and cars you can have great time with this sim. it is great for offline racing, most of the mods (65/66/67/69) had race per race grids, and almost any track used back on the 60's it is avaliable. I like to think about GPL like a virtual library :)
    Thanks Paul to point this out :) The guys behind this mod are truly artist :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +201
    I too would love to see GPL on Steam.

I think one of the challenges is that when people think of the greatness of GPL, they are picturing the phenomenal experience depicted in the video above...which is the result of countless hours of community modification. The base game, which I personally consider an critical hallmark in the history of sim racing, bears very little resemblence to what you see depicted above.

On the other hand, much the same could be said for rFactor. If you put HistorX and base rFactor side by side, they bear very little resemblence...Yet, there is rFactor for sale on Steam.

In conclusion, I have no point - I simply find the sound of typing soothing! :D

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  7. bellofrancesco

bellofrancesco

Ratings:
    +5
    the problem and do not know where to download it and unlike other simulators still has an outdated view of car folders \ track

8. leon_90

leon_90

Ratings:
    +130
    Grand Prix Legends is unique to every other sim. The reason is in the modding community itself, more than in the software: what they deliver is not only a mod but a full documentary experience. Every race has the list of contendants which attended the real event, and they perform similarly to what they did back in the day. Every car is maniacally detailed. To let you understand, real pictures are extensively used even to reproduce the correct font for the car numbers per race (they were not standardized back then). You get to see the history of motor racing. As I said, is like a documentary, but one you get to actually live and not just watch. Plus you can always use a generic list of entries if you want always the same cars to enter every race. Why you wanna do so? Well because AI learns from it's previous results, and change it's aggressiveness, experience and therefore results depending on how good or bad they are doing in the championship. Just like humans. Plus cars have failures realistic to their real "original" defects. These are all unique to GPL features. Plus no stupid BOP, every car performs how it really performed, every car has it's soul, so that you get to understand that even the underdogs are fun and can have a chance on the big boys sometimes. And you can live this experience for 65/66/67/69 F1 seasons, 66/71 CanAm beasts, 67 WSC, 67 F2 and new one are in store for the future, like Tasman series, more WSC and F1. Each reproducing the particularities of the cars present. So, massive torque 66 CanAm, aerodinamic dependant 71 CanAm with slick tires, prone to failure on long time races WSC cars, "take-me-to-the-edge-and-stay-there" F2 and 65 F1 cars and so on. There is nothing like GPL, and probably never will, for the historic simracer. That's why you should all try it ;) it runs on all OS, including latest Win10 and Linux. The community has prepared a specific installer to make it work on today PCs and will help you whatever issues you may encounter.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. bFaria

bFaria

Ratings:
    +4
    I really love GPL, just like RBR.

But, to play both of these sims, you have to be a very patient person.
    First, you'll need to find a good source to download them, since they're not available to buy anywhere
    (except physical versions on ebay, which is useless for most people).
    Then, to set up properly takes a considerable amount of time - from resolution to wheel rotation.

When you get things ready, oh boy, it's a one way trip. You won't regret it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +201
    ^ yup, what he said
    Yup, what he said.

I'll confess that with all the modern choices available to us today, I go long stretches without firing up GPL...But it still has a home on my hard drive because, every so often, the itch strikes.

The modding ethos built around GPL is much more typical of what you find in the flight sim world (like "Wings Over Flanders Fields") than what you typically find in the sim racing world.

11. Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Ratings:
    +58
    GPL is the future of simracing! ;):p:D

Well, maybe not.... but there's probably as much new content being developed for GPL now as for one or two modern sims out there today.

There are all in one installers that can be downloaded that give you most of what you need to get started, there are plenty of helpful people at SRMZ.net who can answer questions.

When some people think of GPL they imagine a sim that fits on a couple of 3.5 inch floppy disks and runs at 640 x 480 .... I'm running it at 5760 x 1080 on triples. It's great fun. :thumbsup:

(OK the menus still are low res ;))

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +263
    iRacing don't own the rights to GPL. In this period the rights to games were normally owned by the publisher, in this case Sierra, who sold on the sales rights to Sold Out Software. Dave K had to buy the rights to the NR2003 code.

This mod must hold the record as the mod longest in development. Development started before the 65 mod, so I would estimate 2002 or 2003. I worked for a while on the 55 mod a few years later but problems optimising the cars forced a switch in priorities. It is great that this mod is finally nearing completion. Hopefully I can fix the sound issues I have with GPL.

• Like Like x 1
  13. leon_90

leon_90

Ratings:
    +130
    Have you tried the K-Lite codecs? Worked for me and a couple lads also ;)

14. Flammenjc

Flammenjc
    Nitor Velox Gaming

Ratings:
    +44
    Haven't booted GPL up in a few years but GPL is where I started as did alot of us older guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MoerasGrizzly

MoerasGrizzly
    Premium

Ratings:
    +433
    oh my god it's the VAAANWAALLLLL!!!1

16. snezana

snezana

Ratings:
    +2
    GPL was where it all started for me-I remember the day I bought the original (cardboard )boxed version.I have all the mods for it( and most of Sergio's tracks!)I will definately be firing it up again for this mod!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ole Andreasen

Ole Andreasen
    Hey... wait up! Premium

Ratings:
    +140
    - and then I spent 3 hours locating my old disc - getting the all-in-one-installer again, installing GPL for the umpteens time, and spinning around Monaco... been a few years, but it still has a very special feeling does GPL. Now I cannot wait for the 1955 mod. Please keep us posted when it´s out Paul. And thanks for the headsup... one more sim on the computer... so frigging short days. :):):)

• Love Love x 1
  18. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,231
    Hmm, that is not what the correspondence I had with iRacing some years ago ended with. There I was told, with no way to interpret different, that GPL, earlier NASCAR games, IndyCar series, SODA Off-Road etc was under iRacing(FIRST) control.

19. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson
    Premium

Ratings:
    +315
    I use to love the orginal game way back in the days :)

20. RMR1

RMR1

Ratings:
    +51
    You can download the full vanilla version legally for free. Use the community installer to bring it up to date.
    Excitedly waiting for this mod!