Grand Prix 4

So, this game runs on Win 7 64bit? That leaves me with a bit of a dilemma - given that I'm a real fan of classic F1 (80's, 90's), more so than modern day F1, what's the best thing to do: hunt down a copy of GP4 with mods, or rFactor with mods?

So, this game runs on Win 7 64bit? That leaves me with a bit of a dilemma - given that I'm a real fan of classic F1 (80's, 90's), more so than modern day F1, what's the best thing to do: hunt down a copy of GP4 with mods, or rFactor with mods?

Well, I have both. GP4 for the near-perfect AI, and rFactor for the pure driving pleasure :)

Is there a reason that might prohibit you from owning both?

Not really. So, are there good classic F1 mods for GP4 then? I've also heard that rFactor is more for multiplayer due to the AI - is that the case even with mods installed? If it is, then rFactor's not for me because I don't play multiplayer races.

Edit: Never mind, just seen various vids on youtube that confirms the amount of mods for GP4! All I need to know now is has anyone played the game with a Ferrari F430 USB wheel, and if so how did it go - any problems? :)

Obviously, with rFactor the advantage is it doesn't just cover F1 - but unless the AI is up to it in single player, then it's GP4 for me.

Going back to GP4 mods - I was wondering, how does it deal with KERS and DRS with any 2011 mods? It's not F1 2011 without KERS and DRS. ;)

As i know there are no KERS, DRS or no-fueling-at-pitstop mods for Grand Prix 4 :( They can't modify the core game mechanics.

Just car, track, image art, small physics tweaks, performances, points allocation, failure rates, cameras and HUD.

Oh by the way don't forget to back up your whole GP4 before modding, and use GPxPatch which fixes many bugs :)

Not really. So, are there good classic F1 mods for GP4 then? I've also heard that rFactor is more for multiplayer due to the AI - is that the case even with mods installed? If it is, then rFactor's not for me because I don't play multiplayer races.

Edit: Never mind, just seen various vids on youtube that confirms the amount of mods for GP4! All I need to know now is has anyone played the game with a Ferrari F430 USB wheel, and if so how did it go - any problems? :)

Obviously, with rFactor the advantage is it doesn't just cover F1 - but unless the AI is up to it in single player, then it's GP4 for me.

Going back to GP4 mods - I was wondering, how does it deal with KERS and DRS with any 2011 mods? It's not F1 2011 without KERS and DRS. ;)

If looking for proper AI, rFactor is a no-go. GP4 isn't perfect but I'd say it's at about 85%, where rFactor is not more than 30%.

Also, even with mods you cannot fix it as the core AI system is apparently broken.

I love the 1994, 1995, 2006 and 2007 mods for it.

The only thing is that there are track slot problems, and some tracks cause CTD's, freezes, etc., but there are ways around it.

On rFactor, it's really sad that the AI is so bad, because the rest of the game is AWESOME, and yes, it's really a Multiplayer game.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that is helpful. So, you guys haven't had any problems using steering wheels with GP4? Also, how would you say its AI stacks up against F1 2011's - after patch 2? I haven't played GP4 for years!!

Thanks, that is helpful. So, you guys haven't had any problems using steering wheels with GP4? Also, how would you say its AI stacks up against F1 2011's - after patch 2? I haven't played GP4 for years!!

There's no comparison - GP4's AI avoid you in corners, and go for any gaps, where F1 2011's doesn't. I have never seen AI like GP4's in other games.

I remember, way back in the day, with F1GP, or it could've been Grand Prix 2 - there was an editor which allowed you to edit pretty much everything including textures and team names - so you could replace one of the existing teams with 'your own' team. Is that sort of thing possible in GP4? SBF Racing-Ford will ride again if that's the case (SBF - my initials). :D

I remember, way back in the day, with F1GP, or it could've been Grand Prix 2 - there was an editor which allowed you to edit pretty much everything including textures and team names - so you could replace one of the existing teams with 'your own' team. Is that sort of thing possible in GP4? SBF Racing-Ford will ride again if that's the case (SBF - my initials). :D

Yes possible of course. You can edit driver-team names in game, and edit performance and liveries with secondary programs :) Such as wadupdater and Team Editor...

Has anyone got a link to complete mods for any of these:

I've found a 1994 mod, but this:

This initial release contains everything you need to fully enjoy the first two races of the 1994 season -cars, helmets, tracks, PLUS compatible garage and stand textures

makes me doubt whether it's a complete, finished 1994 mods with all the tracks, cars and drivers.

Many thanks for the links, but not only does that site require registration, it's also in a foreign language so I don't even know what it's asking me. Do you know of any other mirrors/sites where that mod is available?

So that's the complete F1 1994 mod then? I ask because it mentions enabling us to enjoy the first two races. Thanks anyway. :)

This initial release contains everything you need to fully enjoy the first two races of the 1994 season -cars, helmets, tracks, PLUS compatible garage and stand textures

Edit: Nope, no PM.

I noticed that there are other non-Grand Prix mods up at that site as well - has someone found a way to make sports car mods for GP4? That would make it a bit like rFactor, but with GP4's AI. :)

So that's the complete F1 1994 mod then? I ask because it mentions enabling us to enjoy the first two races. Thanks anyway. :)

Edit: Nope, no PM.

I noticed that there are other non-Grand Prix mods up at that site as well - has someone found a way to make sports car mods for GP4? That would make it a bit like rFactor, but with GP4's AI. :)
Yes.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years