GT Sport Gran Turismo Sport Trailer Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Polyphony Digital have revealed a host of new images and details regarding the latest edition of the hugely popular Gran Turismo franchise: Gran Turismo Sport.

Due for release on the 15th of November, Gran Turismo Sport marks the first time the game has received official FIA endorsement as it goes head-to-head in the console racing market against titles as Forza, Assetto Corsa and Project CARS. Gran Turismo has been a long running series for Sony's flagship console and the latest details shared by Polyphony reveal the team are hard at work producing a potentially epic addition to the console's racing portfolio.

With day one of the Gran Turismo Sport unveiling event in London behind us, RaceDepartment bring you a summary of what we have learnt about the new title so far.

GT Sport will contain 140 road and race vehicles upon its release in September featuring brands such as Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mercedes, Toyota, Audi, Mazda, Nissan, Alfa Romeo, Subaru and Ford amongst other top marques from around the world. As well as the many real word road and race cars, manufacturers such as Bugatti, Peugeot and Volkswagen have submitted fantasy hypercar designs to create a "Gran Turismo Vision" set of performance Supercars.

Supporting the sizable number of vehicles in the game will be 19 tracks (27 layouts), including the now obligatory Nürburgring Nordschleife (North Loop). As well as the Nordschleife and Brands Hatch, GT Sport will debut a new oval location in the form of the Northern Isle Speedway and the new Tokyo Expressway track, a large circuit based on the Tokyo Expressway road system that weaves at speed through skyscrapers and under tunnels surrounded by unforgiving tall concrete walls on both sides. Loose surface dirt tracks also make an appearance in GT Sport with the inclusion of the imaginatively titled "Dirt Track" that takes players from the Rocky Mountains to the Mexican border in America's Midwest. Polyphony promises the new off road location to have plenty of elevation changes to keep sideways sliding fans happily entertained.

Officially endorsed by the FIA motorsport governing body, Gran Turismo Sport will have two FIA-certified online championship series. The Nations Cup is a completion where players will represent their home country and race against other national teams in a series of racing events as you aim to be crowned Nations Cup Champion. The other officially sanctioned championship focus's not on nationality but by manufacturer choice. The Manufacturer Fan Cup lets players select their favourite car maker to represent them in a series of events against other drivers in the games online environment.

Both the Nations Cup and Manufacturer Fan Cup championships will benefit from professionally produced live broadcast transmissions. Here's hoping the quality and realism of these broadcasts will be a significant step up from the abysmal Project CARS showcase of a '1v1' style of racing that was a horribly executed and bastardised version of what SimRacing is really all about.

Making the most of the official FIA licence, the winner of each series will have the opportunity to attend the official FIA prize giving ceremony and pick up an award alongside real life motorsport champions from the various FIA sanctioned racing series!

GT Sport Brands Hatch GP.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport offers a substantial offline Campaign mode designed to address the many fundamental requirements of high performance race driving allowing both beginners and the more experienced racers an opportunity to hone their skills before tackling the many offline race events and competing against real world racing rivals.

Delivered in several segments from learning basic car control skills to the finer points of on track behaviour wrapped up in an informative and entertaining selection of lessons and challenges, Gran Turismo targets drivers new to the genre and builds up their skills and experiences to encourage a competitive and safe racing standard when taking to the online racing element of the title.

Beginner’s School
From basic skills such as hitting the brakes and how to turn into a corner, fundamentals can be learned from the bottom up, which will prove invaluable for newcomers to driving games.

Mission Challenge
As you work your way through short missions, you will automatically pick up fundamental driving skills without even realising it. In the end, you will have a level of skill that will allow you to participate in major race events.

Circuit Experience
Through actual experience on a race track, you will step into the true world of high-performance driving. Use the knowledge of track layouts learned in the mission challenges to pick up the basics of how to conquer a race track.

Race Etiquette
In online, as well as real races, etiquette on the track is as important as performance. Learn the rules of etiquette and sportsmanship that’s required in all player-vs-player races. Even if you’re not a top driver with lots of confidence in your skills, you will still have plenty of fun because each player will be matched fairly with people of their own level for fair and equal online racing.

As players have come to expect with the many Gran Turismo franchise releases, a detailed livery editor will be available in GT Sport allowing players to design and share liveries for many of the models featured in the new title. From painting your own designs to adding a selection of sponsorship decals, the newly redesigned livery editor will should feature intuitive user friendly design functionality and let players show off their designs to maximum effect in the new Scapes photo mode feature added to the title.

Scapes is a new photo mode brought in to GT Sport that lets players choose from 1000 locations of "Scapes" stages to provide scenic backdrops for players to take shots of the many cars found in game. Players can select their preferred location (or "Scape"), place their car in a choice position and adjust the lighting and colour before framing the image and taking the picture. Some images can be seen below of several cars against the many Scape backgrounds. This is a nice new feature and should go some way to enhancing the experience for players who enjoy taking artistic photographs of the beautiful cars featured in GT Sport.

Release Schedule
  • US, Asia, Japan - 15 November 2016
  • EU - 16 November 2016
  • UK & Ireland - 18 November 2016

Check out our RaceDepartment Gran Turismo Series forum for latest news and discussion about GT Sport and other Gran Turismo Series games. RaceDepartment will be keeping abreast of all the latest news coming from day 2 of the big reveal event in London. Stay tuned for more information when it becomes available!

Gran Turismo Sport Ferrari 2.jpgGran Turismo Sport Mercedes.jpg Gran Turismo Sport Mustang.jpg GT Sport Brands Hatch.jpg GT Sport Dirt Track.jpg GT Sport Northern Isle Speedway.jpg GT Sport Tokyo Expressway.jpgGT Sport Race Cars.jpg GT Sport Vision Gran Turismo Cars.jpg

Are you looking forward to the PS4 GT Sport release? Do you enjoy the latest screenshots? Planning to purchase the game? What do you think of the details known so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
poly count was fine, those cars would fit in anything, they could maybe go toe to toe with assetto corsa's models bar the texture quality in the interior which we saw a bit of but the aliasing was a problem, looked like 2xmsaa. Well im fine with them sacrificing quality in order to get a higher fps but jaggies eww.

there is no excuse for any of this.. its 2016 for crying out loud. the age of where mods are better NOW then the original games. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE

Probably getting this no matter what since its the only reason I buy Playstation's. GT6 (aka GT5.1) was a huge disappointment though. Hopefully Project Cash has given PD the impetus to step up their game a bit for this release

Nice visuals. The shot of the GT3 cars sitting at Daytona (I presume) looks almost real.

I haven't played on the PS3 properly for years although I use it for catch up TV, and the blu-ray drive.

I did do some racing on it last year when they released the special version of the Goodwood hillclimb with the Mazda display and the Mazda LMP prototype concept.

I understand that there will be a PS4 mk2 coming out late this year or early next. Slightly faster with improvements all round, supposedly to make it 4k capable or able to handle that res easier.

The sticking point seems to be if it will have a UHD blu-ray drive. If it does, I'll get it for the 4k TV (like I bought the PS3 partly for the blu-ray drive. One less box! :) All depends on the price.

I don't know this for certain but I remember reading on a couple of websites that car manufacturers did not want their cars featured in the game if they were to show any damage (dented panels, wheels falling off, etc). So that's why there isn't any damage model. Imagine Ferrari's PR team when they see a glorious shot of their car on the internet in 4k, with it's bonnet missing and steam coming from the engine.

The Jaguar GT3 was a concept and that was as far as it went, the owners of Jaguar don't want any involvement in motorsport. I think the F1 programme did a colossal amount of damage to their image and bank balance. I cheer on the Emil Frey XK GT3 that's good enough for me :) just a shame it's not featured in any sims yet :(

the above is a mod. recoded 2014 that blows away any of the codemasters nightmares. that was my point. now these days .. mods are better then the games. seems moders have to fix them to be good
I gotta be honest, those videos look horrendous. How can that possibly be an upgrade on F1 2014? As bad as 2014 was, there's no way that what those videos depict is better than 2014, let alone 2015.

Weird textures, weird sounds and crazy exposure, not to mention those sparks. Not a good mod IMO.

Anyway, F1 2014 is not the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
I don't know this for certain but I remember reading on a couple of websites that car manufacturers did not want their cars featured in the game if they were to show any damage (dented panels, wheels falling off, etc). So that's why there isn't any damage model. Imagine Ferrari's PR team when they see a glorious shot of their car on the internet in 4k, with it's bonnet missing and steam coming from the engine.
I don't really think that's a valid excuse for Polyphony any more. Forza does a decent damage model and it's the same for all cars. Sure it's not BeamNG level but it's plenty good enough for a racing game IMO. There's no reason whatsoever why GT shouldn't have a damage model on par with Forza.

The Jaguar GT3 was a concept and that was as far as it went, the owners of Jaguar don't want any involvement in motorsport. I think the F1 programme did a colossal amount of damage to their image and bank balance. I cheer on the Emil Frey XK GT3 that's good enough for me :) just a shame it's not featured in any sims yet :(

I want there to be a new Jag GT3 as I want to know how their 5.0L V8 would sound when uncorked.

How does GT6 feel compared to Forza. I don't race on the console, but the titles generally look pretty good.

I have extensive experience with both on PS3 and 360, and always preferred Froza physics and wheel FFB because it was more predictable, communicated car types and setups more clearly, and visually matched what the car was doing.

For those reasons and others that are a lot more subjective, I've always found the driving in Forza to just be straight up more enjoyable...at times it felt like Polyphony deliberately made it's cars/licence/scenarios more difficult to manage because of their motto "The Real Driving Simulator" and to them Real must mean Difficult.

Most of engine sounds were terrible in Gran Turismo, but a lot of the Premium cars sounded great, but I usually played my own music over the car engines to mask it and the gross jazz lounge menu music.

I've enjoyed every hour I spent in GT4, but I dropped the series because I wasn't able to afford a PS3 both financially and time-wise back then. Last winter I tried GT5 in a hotel's PS3 when I was traveling, I was not very impressed by it. The sims on PC are just much nicer IMHO.

Nonetheless, I'm still looking forward to a GT sequel an I'm still thinking about buying a PS4 myself. The exclusives are just nice.

I guess the FIA don't know what a real racing sim is because its surely not anywhere to be found in GT.

The FIA understands money and marketing, and Sony and Polyphony are miles ahead of any "real racing sim" on PC, especially when it comes to community size, household recognition, and future marketability.

Sure [insert PC sim here] is more sophisticated, customizable, and realistic...but the PC platform is simply too open for FIA regulations. And we all know they love their regulations.

as some people already pointed out, this is most likely Photo Mode. I've spent a lot of time playing around in photo mode, and can tell you.... if it takes several seconds to render each one of these frames on a PS3, its very unlikely that a PS4 can render each frame at 1/60 of a second. even the latest PC would struggle to render these at 60 fps.
show.php

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years