GT5 Gran Turismo 5 what a let down

Right where to start, ok so we have finally got GT 5 after many years of waiting but what a let down I has been. Here is a list if things of why it's such a let down.

Damage:

So we were all so excited when we heard that GT5 would have a damage system but now I've got the game I can't see why I got so excited. I mean for starters you only have damage on the premium cars which is only about 100 cars out of 1000 odd cars I mean what's the point, secondly the actual damage is rubbish I crashed a 458 Italia into a wall at 100 mph diliberatly and all that happened was my bumper bent and finally the sound the sound when you crash is horrible and not realistic at all it just sounds like some sort of computer had a guess of what it sounds like to crash.

Cockpit view:

Like the damage only premium cars have cockpit views which is pretty dam pointless. They've delayed the game for 2 years and didn't bother getting the cockpit views done for all cars now that's just lazy.

Tracks:

Well the thing with the tracks is there isn't that many yes there is plenty of ways to go round each one but there isn't nearly enough when you bear in mind how many cars there are and how many tracks other games have. Another thing with the tracks is the atmoshere there just isn't any. At most there is a handful of people in the grandstands but otherwise there deserted which makes the game feel dead and boring. The graphics of the tracks is my last point. All the tracks on the game apart from the rally ones look so clean and clinical like they've just laid new tarmac down then painted a black line round it for the racing line which isn't always painted on the right line it's just not realistic at all. Another thing is how the tracks are portrayed like monza and Monaco for examples in real life in Moza ther is no concrete Walls blocking the first chicane but that isn't really a big deal it's Monica that rather pointless everything is wrong four corners have barriers where there shouldnt be and none of the correct markings on the road are there.

length of the game:

The game is sooooo long and very boring after a while it has none of the off track features like F1 2010 for example after you have comPleted the first few groups of races in a spec begginer you can't do the rest because they require certain cars which you don't have and can't afford at that time. Also the licenses are terribly long yes they are great fun and a good feature but why so many and why all the restrictions on things like you need a certain licences to buy a car i can understand needing a certain licences to race but to buy cars that's just silly. And when ever you buy a car of get one dilevered why do we need a minute long sequence showing us the car just why.

Car graphics:

Yes you all may think the graphics are amazing but as I said about the track graphics it's all just too clean. There are better car graphics out there I will admit certain cars look absolutely amazing but it's not consistent it really isn't some cars look like boxes it just doesn't have a sense of realism.

Dificullty:

The difficulty varies massively. Some races are so easy it a joke and in others is near impossible and this isn't just because I've gone on to harder levels I did the Mercedes challenge around the norschlifer and one section of the track was easy while another the AI where so much quicker than me it was riddiculous.

The future of the game:

The future of the game doesnt look bright I mean will they be able to produce tracks and car pack at the rate forza has. NO they've made it too complicated to do it at that rate. I read they promised to launch the game with 1000 cars in and with the help of downloadable content bring that number up to 10,000 in no time at all. This just won't happen in the time before people start wanting GT6.

Fun factor:

The fun factor is one of the most dissapointing things. Itis fun too begin with but after a while because of all it clinicalness it gets very boring especially with that poor damage system.

So to do an overview on it all even though it has the best car physics there is for a racing sim on a games console there is a hell of a lot wrong. Please rate this post out of 10 please and feel free to dicuss all that I've just said.

Exactamundo. The poor AI means there's almost no incentive at all to repeat A-Spec events, and I personally find B-Spec even duller than an energy saving light bulb. However, the game really comes alive online, and it should be tried at least a few times before people think about shelving it. No better place to do that than right here at RD. :wink:
Once i replace PS3 i will give GT5 another chance.

Well, I have it since Christmas and believe I just played it once. I have a problem with my pedals, the brakes are always flashing while I`m driving, so I got angry because I can`t do a single lap and put it back on the shelf (can anyone help me with this?).
The other reason is that the RD leagues with Race Series took all my time :)

Had the same problem with my g25 brake pedal, a few days ago.
I opened up my pedal and cleaned it with a compressor, now it's back to normal.
The brake and gas pedal are very sensitive in GT5, and there are no adjustable deadzones.
So keep them clean ;)

Had the same problem with my g25 brake pedal, a few days ago.
I opened up my pedal and cleaned it with a compressor, now it's back to normal.
The brake and gas pedal are very sensitive in GT5, and there are no adjustable deadzones.
So keep them clean ;)

after you do this a few times you will eventually have to "swap" your clutch "pot" over to your brake pedal and vice versa, only takes about 30 minutes max for someone that doesnt normally play with wires.

I just got this a few days ago and of course loving it so far.

As usual though my biggest let down with GT in general is the terrible terrible music...lol. Not even kidding, but really the music... What is the deal with elevator music? Do some people really like that? Seems like a waste of space on that disc lol. With that said there are a few treasures in those default playlist.

Honestly my gripes are fairly small.

Nothing major to complain about yet.

I'm sure a few months in I will have something to add to this though.

Quite the opposite I find the music is fantastic in the game. As a musician i have a lot of respect for the level of skill and quality in the recordings of the music in GT5, paired with a nice combination of electronic and rock tunes i think the jazz and classical fitts in really well as a neutral music for the menus.

I'm not a musician and enjoy a bit of metal on the rare occasions I do listen to music. However, I like the GT5 menu music. It's smooth and relaxing, which is actually quite nice and makes a welcome change from the music you usually get in racing games. (Which I generally turn off entirely.)

About the same there Ross with music taste. About as Jazz as I like to go is something like 'Cinematic Orchestra' (probably the most chill music ever in my opinion). Which I should add would make killer menu music for GT5.

With that said and not to draw the post off subject.

After a few weeks of play, a few minor complaints nothing to major.

1.Some of the car models do look bad. Kinda upset that only premium cars have the cockpit, which is the only view I race in. However it seems the premium cars are really the only ones that matter.

2. The online needs a LOT more features. Sure I can find a room and race but it just feels...a little dry on the feature side.
I'm finding it hard to find a group of people that race even halfway clean. The network performance seems to be pretty awful. Cars are often bouncing all over the place (Could be on my side) However, I don't lag in other racing games. I don't know why GT5 should be any different. ( kind of already stated this in another post. but for consistency :) ).

I've done a little reading on the forums here and from I've read full damage is unlocked at level 40 on Premium cars?.

3. Lack of damage. While it's true racing is supposed to be clean. I rarely wreck another driver almost never really. I usually wreck myself in a terrible horrific way. The damage of my glorious crash and burn is oddly a payoff at times. like: wow holy $%$^@ look at that. If I have a horrific wreck in a game, I want it to disable my car. Not bounce off a wall, get my bearings and then get back on the track like it never happened.

4. Sound. I was somewhat disappointed with sound. It's the small little noises that are missing. Most of the engines sound great. For example the Ford Focus. Which I drive one. Does sound a lot like my car. Especially when the engine starts. So if they put some time into getting a Ford Focus to sound mostly accurate. They have done a fairly good job. Like I said. It's the small noises that are missing. Also the wall and vehicle collisions sound like you're hitting a baseball bat on the side of a fiberglass car.

Most of these are fairly minor complaints and there is another similar thread. The real biggest let down for me is the multiplayer. Just a complete lack of features.

The network performance seems to be pretty awful. Cars are often bouncing all over the place (Could be on my side)

It's not on your end, it's the game. Online performance has been abysmal for weeks and has even led to the cancellation of the RDGT5 Championship. It's a joke, and so far PD haven't even mentioned it let alone done anything about it.

I've done a little reading on the forums here and from I've read full damage is unlocked at level 40 on Premium cars?

That was the rumour going around when the game was first released, though I do not know if it was (or is) true. Damage can be enabled online and in practice races, but does not feature in A-Spec at all to my knowledge.

The real biggest let down for me is the multiplayer. Just a complete lack of features.

After my initial enthusiasm for this game, that is where I am at now. I can deal with the lack of features and improvise, but the performance and connection issues are completely ruining the whole experience.

I've done a little reading on the forums here and from I've read full damage is unlocked at level 40 on Premium cars?.

3. Lack of damage. While it's true racing is supposed to be clean. I rarely wreck another driver almost never really. I usually wreck myself in a terrible horrific way. The damage of my glorious crash and burn is oddly a payoff at times. like: wow holy $%$^@ look at that. If I have a horrific wreck in a game, I want it to disable my car. Not bounce off a wall, get my bearings and then get back on the track like it never happened.

Full Damage is and always has been available from level 0. How much visible damage depends on the type of car, Standards only have slight scratches and dents, Premiums have greater deformation/scratches/dents as well as bumper hanging lose and then there's Premium Race Cars.... the best example are the Premium Rally Cars, they have full deformation/scratches/dents as well as hinged and detachable doors, bonnet, boot and bumpers.

I am also disappointed with Gran Turismo 5 on a few accounts:

Damage - I attempted to crash a Nissan 370Z on the High Speed Ring as fast as possible and the chassis still retains its shape.
Some cars have damage, but I think even some games from 10 years ago have better damage physics than this game.

Lack of extension for an assortment of racing wheels - I was so excited to play GT5 on my Thrustmaster Ferrari GT steering wheel only to find out the pedals were not compatible. Awkward!

As Hiroshi said earlier in the thread, FFB settings are very one-dimensional - Need I say more?

Sort of needs an SSD to reduce the tedious loading times - I solved that by connecting my PS3 to the Internet wired., but sometimes, the game's data is so large you can't press one button or it will take longer.

Finally, many races were boring because of lack of difficulty setting - :mad:

In my honest opinion, I hope rFactor 2 comes out soon, or I can get the Race 07 expansions with my paycheck.

​6.0/10

As Hiroshi said earlier in the thread, FFB settings are very one-dimensional - Need I say more?

Please do, because I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. The FFB feels fine to me on my DFGT, telling me exactly what the front wheels are doing. What more were you expecting, particularly on an unsupported racing wheel? (I agree that the lack of wheel support is a frustrating issue, by the way.)

Sort of needs an SSD to reduce the tedious loading times - I solved that by connecting my PS3 to the Internet wired., but sometimes, the game's data is so large you can't press one button or it will take longer.

Since the patch some months ago that fixed loading times, I haven't had any issues at all. Loading times are certainly no slower than any other console game now. Perhaps it's your PS3 that is the problem, either because it has a slow (ie, stock) HDD, because the drive is nearly full, or because the data is badly fragmented.

In my honest opinion, I hope rFactor 2 comes out soon, or I can get the Race 07 expansions with my paycheck.
Different kettle of fish, in my opinion. I do not believe that console simulators, no matter who makes them, will ever be as good or as realistic as PC simulators. Thankfully, I was not expecting GT5 to be as good as Race 07 so that is not one of the reasons I am currently feeling somewhat disappointed with the game.

Please do, because I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. The FFB feels fine to me on my DFGT, telling me exactly what the front wheels are doing. What more were you expecting, particularly on an unsupported racing wheel? (I agree that the lack of wheel support is a frustrating issue, by the way.)

Since the patch some months ago that fixed loading times, I haven't had any issues at all. Loading times are certainly no slower than any other console game now. Perhaps it's your PS3 that is the problem, either because it has a slow (ie, stock) HDD, because the drive is nearly full, or because the data is badly fragmented.

Different kettle of fish, in my opinion. I do not believe that console simulators, no matter who makes them, will ever be as good or as realistic as PC simulators. Thankfully, I was not expecting GT5 to be as good as Race 07 so that is not one of the reasons I am currently feeling somewhat disappointed with the game.

I guess I hyperbolised the FFB settings a bit. Like you said, the settings are nowhere near the open PC platform via modding.

I suppose data is not even a quarter of the battle, but network latency on wireless added to the loading times mainly because the PS3's network card is outdated and you can't expect wireless stability in an imperfect world.

I feel you, plus, I bought Gran Turismo 5 mainly because of the cars that were in the game could not be found on rFactor and Race mods.

Good example, the SLS AMG is available at the dealership to fully play, but, so far, I could only play the SLS on rFactor in the F1 2010 pack and it is not fully customisable.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%