GPL fanatic here, Is there a 67 F1 Mod thats good ?

GPL-player here as well :).

I think the only one available for AC is the conversion of infamous SlimJim's rF mod - whether you considered it "legit" after all kerfuffles with unauthorized conversions for GPLEA and major scratch-building reworks that followed, it's up to you to judge. Then the AC edition has been ripped from rF by various A-holes and posted on various shady places... and then lately ripped "the right way" and tweaked further by Bazza (published eventually in the-place-that-shall-not-be-named, but where SlimJim's mod was born years ago).

After all this, it might be not a bad mod now (lates tweaks happened just two weeks ago), though I admit haven't tried it yet, as I'm not fond of 3D models being very mixed bag as far as accuracy is concerned. There are multiple a bit older vids of the mod available on youtube, though I don't know which ones present Bazza's reworked physics.

I remember that mod, it looked great except for the flame in the exhausts. I checked out the latest and it looks pretty good. Now all we need is a BRM P261, one of the most successful BRM's ever raced, and a great looking car as well.

well, there is one and only fully legit free mod pack which covers ten F1 1967 car types, released for older sims a few weeks ago. this might be the solution for Automobilista, rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa GPL theme fans now...

You don't need a GPL mod. Both the Lotus 49 and the Ferrari 312 are official content. You also have historic Monza and Silverstone official content and excellent mod versions of historic Zandvoort and Rouen.

Uhm... Nope.

There's only so much hotlapping one can do with two cars on three tracks (no, RTB Rouen doesn't count, as it's more of a Rouen-inspired fantasy track rather than attempt of building something remotely similar to the real thing). Also, spec-racing doesn't count either :D - GPLers are used to having a representative (if not full thanks to the mods) car and track lineup from chosen series and season.

Even though I love taking Kunos' 312 and 49 for a spin, there's nothing else, that can be done with'em (at least when one's used to more complete experience), so I understand where the OP is coming from.

I don't know about the cars, hope some modder takes on the challenge. But I think there is a really really good number of vintage tracks in AC (other than the official Silverstone, Monza there is Zandvoort and others, I even found classic Spa, classic Monaco, classic Kyalami) that can be used for the purpose of a league, using the Ferrari and Lotus. I don't know if the cars need any performance balance, but it is perfectly possible to limit the performance of one of the cars through restrictor and/or ballast. If you think the cars handling is too easy just reduce the track grip (for example using "old" grip setting) and there you go.

Yea the handling of the 67 cars is wayyy too easy ;). I have to try them to see. I can see all the work and maybe the right people aren't getting credit, but just the same with all the talk aren't they actually getting the credit anyways?
Besides I think the fact that there actually getting used is a good thing. I supported GPLEA and RF2 and so did many others, so in essance we're still supporting them through another sim and there content is being used. I would think thats better than sitting on 3.5 floppy drive tucked in a drawer somewhere.

well, first of all GPL/GPLEA car stuff cant be converted into any other game sim as easy as people thinks. its basically impossible, because plenty of the GPL car parts are simple flat 2D objects, including a whole virtual cockpit. the whole ingame magic is because of great looking textures there. that means a lot of parts must be modelled newly for other sims.

just forget someone will convert the GPLEA GPL cars into modern sims "properly" in future. we may use his textures, and a few 3d parts as templates / blueprints, but the rest would be a pure scratch work.

basically this mainly caused the (un)popular SlimJims F1 Classics mod, which is GPLEA stuff conversion, looked so badly. a lot of 3d parts and textures was created newly, but in a very very poor quality. no wonder GPLEA never gave to SlimJim permissions.

all next SlimJim mod source overhauls during times added some kind of improvements there or here, but to be honest, it was always a big tragedy... up to the Assetto Corsa payware F1 Classics conversion / rip by the russian team, which was just another kind of overhaul of the ripped SlimJims mod souce together with the other moddder team improvement attempts, but this time the team got some better 3d artist. finally. be as be, it still is a payware with a ripped content from free mods.

Bazza did for the AC mod his various patches related to physics and maybe to sounds. linking to other web sites isnt allowed at this forums, so no link, sorry :)

the reason why the SlimJim mod still is converted over and over into various sims is simple:
there doesnt exists any other complete F1 1967 season grid sofar...

... well, actually one such exists and it is a fully free add-on, try google for "F1 LEGENDS RACING mod" or check this thread.

now just needs to hook someone for AC conversion. two year old sample image here:
screen20.jpg

Last edited:
not to go off subject, but if you looking for a more modern game with some vintage f1, pcars2 is decent, if you dont mind a field of lotus cars of various years.. Its impressive in VR. I can only imagine the potential though if we can get a full grid would be epic.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BadfAj_By7H/?taken-by=gstyle_s30

otherwise there is rf2 f1 88 mod which is excellent. but for AC, would be great if some of the moders could just concentrate on a single season grid, rather than build 1 car of a season (ASR's 90s cars are amazing but yeah if they could use their talent to just do a single season would be amazing, id pay for their mod for sure)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back