Goodwood Circuit

Tracks Goodwood Circuit 0.99

Login or Register an account to download this content
Overall I really like the track so far, but the bumpiness is what brought me here too.

I've started with the RSS Formula 79 because this got an update today.
I have spun every lap at T1 by the rear sliding out. That car is a bit tricky, but it took me several laps and some setup changes to get through T1 at least somewhat confident.
Continued with the 908 and 935 Moby Dick, in the 908 is was alright, yet in some turns it felt like the front was washing out, the 935 was quite stable but you could really hear the bumpiness by the engine sound.

Inspired by berniyh's GT3 R video I wanted to use such a car, yet I selected the GT3 Cup because the GT3 R I'm already struggling with in general.

Yes, as it was said before, the Cup car is very, very stiff, but what becomes quite evident is the fact that in most parts of the track you can't load up the tyres in turns, braking and accelration. At some parts it felt like I was only managing to get the car through a section without being able to push or feel the limit, just managing to get through there fast without losing the car.
Even more obvious at the right hand turn before the backstraight (1:05 in the video below), which is rather smooth and I could really push the car and feel the tyres loading up to have some sense of their limit.

In hindsight this was probably also happening with the previous driven cars, just of course to a lesser degree.

I'm using Real Head Motion to smooth the camera, which in return quite well shows how much a car is moving/shaking.

(Edit: and before somebody comments on my spin at the end, that was mainly due to the fact that I carried too much speed at that point, so my fault)

Last edited:
surfaces.ini
[...]
So quick fix for that, those who are already downloaded mustn't update, I guess. because I have just tried it online and I didn't get mismatch.
Actually, surfaces.ini is used for checksum validation, so either the server you used didn't have the surfaces.ini file uploaded to it's content folder or it was but you (for some reason) used the same file as on the server.

AFAIK you need to update the track if surfaces.ini was updated.

But I have just entered the server after I have added PIT surface to surface.ini, it just happened

I have spun every lap at T1 by the rear sliding out.

car is very, very stiff, but what becomes quite evident is the fact that in most parts of the track you can't load up the tyres in turns, braking and accelration. At some parts it felt like I was only managing to get the car through a section without being able to push or feel the limit, just managing to get through there fast without losing the car.
Even more obvious at the right hand turn before the backstraight (1:05 in the video below), which is rather smooth and I could really push the car and feel the tyres loading up to have some sense of their limit.

T1 has a hump in the midle.

So yeah, too stiff cars are limited by tracks bumpyness, why not, it is possibly realistic, perhaps i could smooth few sections 2-3 times more, but in undulations of LiDAR - I believe.

And yes from the real videos Lavant curve looks quite smooth too, and IIRIC I didn't have had to smooth it a lot.

Yeah on the softer springed classic cars the feeling is great at least, after that bumpy ride with the GT3 cup I had a fantastic time during a race with the Alfa GTA's and it didn't have that issue, felt perfect.

Are those of you in the 'it's too bumpy' camp using the road effects slider?
I'm backing this sucker up just in case you guys convince him to nerf it because it feels perfectly natural and realistic to me.
Love the flowers, the flags are over starched, the trees need some of Lilski's magic settings, and some period correct people in the stands would be great.
I'm going to go try the newly updated 'totally not a Lotus 79' and see if I can get through turn 1 without dying more times than not.
Thanks again.

Well 911 GT3 cup should be forbidden and cars which are stiff like that and has very low profile tires, because most other cars feels good. :D

Whats about the trees ? @Michael Hornbuckle I think they looks good, but I haven't seen them in 4K though. I don't know what could be wrong with them, maybe I have overstretched some ? Or faced the bad side to the track ? All of them has a "bad" side, which has to be turned away. Or maybe trees are good, but bushes are not convincing enough ?

All fake FFB effects are off here (and no gyro).

But I have just entered the server after I have added PIT surface to surface.ini, it just happened
I guess the server didn't have the surfaces.ini file installed.
Few days ago I ran the Glencoe track, forgot to upload surfaces.ini to the server, yet I could join anyway.

If you want we can check that tomorrow on a hosted server.

Are those of you in the 'it's too bumpy' camp using the road effects slider?
I'm backing this sucker up just in case you guys convince him to nerf it because it feels perfectly natural and realistic to me.
Love the flowers, the flags are over starched, the trees need some of Lilski's magic settings, and some period correct people in the stands would be great.
I'm going to go try the newly updated 'totally not a Lotus 79' and see if I can get through turn 1 without dying more times than not.
Thanks again.
Not even using a wheel right now and can tell its too bumpy. Do the mx5 test with the video I posted. Even at 65mph you can tell the car is moving around way more than in the video with the same car. This track is smooth. The track is old but but has been paved and the road surface is in good shape. I would put its real life roughness on the same level as NJMP. This is more in line with Bridgehampton currently.

For the record I do not even care what you feel in your wheel. Pay attention to the vertical movement of the car. This track is relatively smooth from everything I have seen. The sim version currently is not correct.

Simracers be like

I think it is correct.

Also Bridgehampton was operating similar years as Goodwood did, and actually much more till 1998 till the first Goodwood Revival. Goodwood circuit was barely functioning from 1966 till 1998. In 1998 was opened for Revival, somewhere around 2005 it was repaved. But what makes you think that it was smoothed out as it was repaved ? I think they kept as much of it how it originally was, and repaving was just to keep it alive, maybe they smoothed out terrible bumps who knows. Maybe I'll have to smoothe out a bump or two, but I will definitely not be smoothing out the whole track. If I will in the first place.

Maybe there is a reason why no modern races are being held there. It is almost purely for Revival, Members Meeting and track days AFAIK

I think it is correct.

Also Bridgehampton was operating similar years as Goodwood did, and actually much more till 1998 till the first Goodwood Revival. Goodwood circuit was barely functioning from 1966 till 1998. In 1998 was opened for Revival, somewhere around 2005 it was repaved. But what makes you think that it was smoothed out as it was repaved ? I think they kept as much of it how it originally was, and repaving was just to keep it alive, maybe they smoothed out terrible bumps who knows. Maybe I'll have to smoothe out a bump or two, but I will definitely not be smoothing out the whole track. If I will in the first place.

Maybe there is a reason why no modern races are being held there. It is almost purely for Revival, Members Meeting and track days AFAIK
You can't compare Bridgehampton and Goodwood you just can't. Bridge was built on a sand base and was rough from the start. And if you don't think repaving a road doesn't smooth it out then I can't help you here. The track is not rough it is simple as that. It has some undulations yes every track does. But it does not have massive bumps.

Here is a video of an Aerial Atom. A small lightweight car and you see the suspension. Now go out and drive around in the Xbow and compare suspension movement. And yes I am aware YT has smoothed the video.

Anyway I'm done here. wasted enough time on this. Don't even know why I bother to help people anymore.

Last ditch effort. Here is a video of an Atom around NJMP. Look similar?

X-Bow:
First lap is somewhat at speed, then a replay of the lap from the side. It doesn't look as glass smooth as that Atom makes it appear, but there isn't anything exceptionally jarring or out of place either.

I've only racked up thousands of miles during my 3000 hours of playtime, what the hell do I know about how something feels through the wheel? Who knew I should have been using a gamepad this whole time....

X-Bow:
First lap is somewhat at speed, then a replay of the lap from the side. It doesn't look as glass smooth as that Atom makes it appear, but there isn't anything exceptionally jarring or out of place either.

I've only racked up thousands of miles during my 3000 hours of playtime, what the hell do I know about how something feels through the wheel? Who knew I should have been using a gamepad this whole time....

The bumps I am talking about are the ones like the exit of T1 at the 14 sec mark. The car bounces hard there and not in any of the videos I have watched. And almost all of the main undulations are just slightly too big. Any time you hear the car bump (suspension sound) from the game the bump is too big for this circuit. I'm not talking about 3 feet here. At most maybe 1" but maybe more like .5".

And don't give me any crap about what it should feel like on the wheel. I've built 3 completely different tracks from scratch and I know what I am talking about when it comes to road meshes. I know how to study videos to see what is car is doing. I don't need a wheel to tell me what the sim is doing. It is all shown clear as day in your video.

Few more I found. Watch their heads. They don't bounce around at all. Also watch the car to the tree line. There is little to no vertical movement of the car anywhere. Run a fixed cam in AC and watch the tree line bounce around like crazy.

Maybe we should look up wet weather races and see how puddle formation is. I agree with @LilSki that its too much now, and from the [limited) driving I did it feels like its not just the height of the bumps but the sharpness, as if the resolution is too low. When driving my Lotus (with its garbage physics) around its revs are basically constantly bouncing around - it does the same on the cobble part of Highlands.

On another note I really like this VOR station. Do you plan to fill the infield of the track with more... things? I don't even know what is inside there during a race weekend.

Screenshot_krb_tiga_lotus_goodwood_circuit_15-9-117-22-27-26.jpg

Last edited:
I think nobody here says the track needs to be smoothed everywhere in a way it will be 'neutered', it's more about carving the shape of those bumps to have a more realistic mesh for them.
The way the track changes from it's trajectory and the bumps are modeled into that.
You can still keep the character with the undulations alive, but some bumps IMO are a bit too harsh. I think they aren't really too harsh in the way that they are too pronounced in shape, just the road change might be a bit to abrupt.

Can you move the invisible walls in the infield of the track further inside the infield? If you spin or go off-track you damage your car quit fast which wouldn't happen in real-life

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back